Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question re cooking time

Options
  • 26-07-2011 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am cooking mustard and honey oyster chicken thighs for a few friends this evening. The recipe I have says to brush the mixed mustard and honey over the thighs and cook for 25 mins. Now, I have cooked oyster thighs before and they took a lot longer than 25mins, more like 40.

I'm worried that the honey will burn if in the oven that long. Should I cook the thinthighs for 10-15 mins and then put the mixture over them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In a hot oven, 25 mins is plenty of time to cook oyster thighs - even on the bone.
    Where's the recipe from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

In a hot oven, 25 mins is plenty of time to cook oyster thighs - even on the bone.
    Where's the recipe from?

I am a terrible one for not pre-heating an oven properly so possibly it is fine. :o

I'll make sure I preheat it properly. The recipe is from a cookbook I have called '400 recipes - 3 or 4 ingredients :)

Thank you, am quite embarrassed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Your oven temp could be off, e.g. it could be really 190C when set to 220C, you really just have to know your own oven.

You can also score chicken deeply to allow heat to penetrate better, it also allows more surface area for marinate. This is often done on tandoori chicken.

Like this
    img_6563.jpg?w=300&h=200

I have scored entire chickens like this and butterflied them out and cooked them in about 40mins. Even did it with a turkey once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thank you, am quite embarrassed :D

Oh, I wouldn't be.

It is very common for people to cook the bejaysus out of chicken (and pork- and ,let's face it, everything else too) - 'just in case' but I reckon a decent oven preheated to about 200c would do them in 25 mins.
    Cut into one and if there's pink pop them back for 5 mins.
    So much more succulent that way and it should be long enough to give nice crispy skin too (it is a crime against chicken to take the skin off:D).
    Also, leave them out of the fridge for 20 minutes or so before cooking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rubadub wrote: »
    Your oven temp could be off, e.g. it could be really 190C when set to 220C, you really just have to know your own oven.
    i know rubadub has already thanked the post, but for anyone else's benefit that hasn't seen it and is curious about the accuracy of their oven temps: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73524084&postcount=8

• Advertisement
Advertisement