Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Track Study Partner

Options
  • 26-07-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am currently studying towards ICND1 and are then planning to move directly onto ICND2, CCNP, etc... Although I have many years experience in the IT industry I decided to take the long route instead of the single CCNA exam just so I can focus on getting the fundamentals 100% right.

Well, not that I have to but I am thinking of getting a study partner who lives in the Portmarnock/Malahide area. Typically it should be a person who are motivated and can dedicate time towards these studies (evenings or whatever we agree on).

I have my own study material so all you have to bring is your own books (obviously :)). We can share my hardware for the labs so there is no issue regarding that.

In anycase if you are SERIOUS in doing the same track or have started and are looking for someone to study with let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭offalyguy25

i Only wish i lived closer to you as it would be very handy to have a study partner, i am doing an ordinary degree in Computer networking in Athlone, and it is covering the CCNA, i am going into the last yr of it, but i am finding the hardware part of it tough as we are not getting enough time at hardware for configuring etc, which means i have very little experience hooking up equipment etc, but i would defo like to chat you at some stage about setting up a lab fairly cheap etc, and how to go about it all,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DreamCatchers

The dynamics of studying with someone is just so much better than doing it on your own (if you get someone onboard who shares the same goal). Nothing can replace hands on experience at home especially if you don't have access to the equipment at your job... However the ESB bill do seem to reflect this :lol:

I wishing you all the best in your studies :)
    i Only wish i lived closer to you as it would be very handy to have a study partner, i am doing an ordinary degree in Computer networking in Athlone, and it is covering the CCNA, i am going into the last yr of it, but i am finding the hardware part of it tough as we are not getting enough time at hardware for configuring etc, which means i have very little experience hooking up equipment etc, but i would defo like to chat you at some stage about setting up a lab fairly cheap etc, and how to go about it all,

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭offalyguy25

what experience have you got in the industry? yeah i really need to get myself some kit,
    any pointers as to what to get to start a basic lab at home? there are so many cisco models on the market,
    thats the one thing i fear when i finish college next yr, is the fact i have very little practical experience,

I have been working in the IT industry since the early days of NT4 (1997). Unfortunately over time like so many other techie jobs the diversity let me become a "Jack of all trades master of none". Although diversity is good it sometimes steers you loose track of your goal.

In anycase my lab consist of multiple 2600 routers, 3550 and 2950 switches. If I was you I would seriously consider the 871W router. It has everything you need, wireless, routing and switching, SDM, VLAN, etc,etc,etc and full IOS capabilities. That will also 10/1 also my next purchase for wireless lab work but apart from that a great all round device.
    what experience have you got in the industry? yeah i really need to get myself some kit,
    any pointers as to what to get to start a basic lab at home? there are so many cisco models on the market,
    thats the one thing i fear when i finish college next yr, is the fact i have very little practical experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sweet Jesus, just download GNS3 and some IOS images. No point in spending a fortune on Hardware when a emulator can do the same.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with you but that is just your point of view and personal opinion. Some people will agree with you and some won't.

One thing I will agree (inderectly) with you and that is the fact that you can go through CCNA and to some degree CCNP without having to buy the real thing or rent rack time. Beyond that you have to invest in racktime or spend money on your own gear UNLESS you have access to loads of equipment at your job (most likely not).

If you have the money to buy stuff and enjoy pulling cables and trying all kinds of things...why not...

But this thread was never inteded to try and justify anything :o
    Sweet Jesus, just download GNS3 and some IOS images. No point in spending a fortune on Hardware when a emulator can do the same.

Advertisement