Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sewing/Craft group in Cork

• 26-07-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any interest in hooking up to do a sewing/craft group in Cork City? I was chatting to a couple who own a nice little cafe in town today and they said they would be open to having a group come in after closing to drink coffee, chat and make pretty things. I recently joined the Cork Stitch n Bitch group and it is a lovely way of getting to know like minded folks while indulging in often introverted (and even anti-social) hobbies. I have seen similar groups online where people all bring a few craft supplies to share (even if it's just some markers and paper) or specific projects they are working on and sit around swapping ideas, sharing tips and skills or just doodling and mucking about. If anyone is interested give me a PM and maybe we can get something going

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Gotten a few PM's so far, keep 'em coming!

*Bump*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

hey Sapsorrow, I would definitely be interested in something like this, let me know if its going ahead! :)

Great! I think there are just about enough of us to get a little group going now, I'll have a chat with the cafe owners tomorrow and see about organizing a day next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Sounds good! Crochet is the only crafty thing I can do, but watching other crafty people might inspire me! Let us know if you can get a time and date sorted!

• Advertisement

Will do! I'm on a crochet buzz myself at the minute!

PM's sent out there, let me know if you didn't receive one!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

I'm a crochet-returner - been looking for a group - I'd like the details to join in please.

no prob!

Hi guys, last week went really well so we are meeting again tomorrow at 7pm in Cafe Orvos, it's down on Popes Quay, across the water from the Big Vibes and Scribes (Lavitts Quay). If anyone needs my number for directions or anything PM me and I'll be checking my mail in the morning or afternoon tomorrow. Bring whatever interests you, crochet, knitting, card making, drawing etc

• Advertisement

The group is meeting again at 6 pm next Monday, Cafe Orvos on Popes Quay. PM me for more info if you need it, hopefully see some of you there! :)

Hey guys, just a quick note to let ye know the craft group won't be meeting this Monday after all, the lady running the cafe contacted me to let me know they would be closing the cafe for a few weeks so in the mean time, I am going to try and get things a bit ore organized with a facebook page, some posters/flyers and a new venue. I'll post updates here when I get it all organized and hopefully we'll be back in action soon!

Any update on re-starting the meet-ups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not to sure if ye are still going..If ye are I may have a nice little project for the group..The animal care society are looking for people to sow catnip pouches that they can sell at christmas to make money to donate to the society so if ye would be intersted let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Do you guys do knitting and crochet or do you know a group that does?

There are both knitters and crocheters in the group that started meeting - we're waiting for Sapsorrow to notify us of when/where we're next meeting [previous location is temporarily closed]. Any crafting type is encouraged to join in - painting, jewellery etc

There are others groups that meet for knitting/crochet:

Stitch n Bitch - Abbot Ale House

Vibes n Scribes on Lavitts Quay - pending start date but usually Thursday evenings

and I have been recently informed of a Monday morning group in South Parish that I will be checking out asap - will report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

The Vibes and Scribes class has just been moved to 10.30am on a Wednesday, starting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to knit years ago. Still can't hold my wool without dropping the needles, but hey!

I want to take it up again. Probably something like a knitting circle, or a class, so I can pick it up again...

Would the group at Lavitt's Quay be any good for this?

TIA :)

Righto, the Vibes & Scribes group has re-started, on Wednesday mornings, 10:30am to 12 noon. All levels of experience are welcome and it's a informal group - not a class as such - we all just help each other.

The other group I'd mentioned, "We made this" meets in the South Presentation centre [old convent entrance on Evergreen Green] on Wednesday evenings from 5:30pm. If anyone else is looking to join in, contact me and I can forward the contact number for the organiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I might go along to a Stitch n' Bitch. A little knit by the fire with a beer sounds rather lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ruth1234

Hey there, I know this is an oldish thread but I've started a crafting evening in the Very Healthy Food Cafe on Douglas Street every Tuesday from 7pm. All are very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jellyfishjane

Hi there, this thread is pretty old but thought it was worth a try! I'm getting back into knitting and crocheting and was looking for a craft group. Are some of the above groups still going?

Hi Jellyfishjane

The group I started at the Very Healthy Food Cafe isn't running any more - I'd like to still do it and think it's a great venue for it, but difficult to get the 'critical mass' of people. Let us know if you come up with anything, for me it would have to be evening time.

Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chloe90

could someone teach me how to knit?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rosebud93

Hi, I'd love to join a craft group to meet new people and learn new crafty things-i came along to the one in Very Healthy Food one night but no on else was there! Think it may have finished up at that point. Was still very cosy sitting there on the cushions knitting by myself :) I'm away for xmas at the moment but back in Cork on Jan 12th. Would a group meeting at people's houses work as there wouldn't need to be as many in the group?
    Evenings work for me too.
    Eva

Updated 28th Devember 2012:
    KazM wrote: »
    The groups that meet for knitting/crochet in Cork City centre:

Stitch n Bitch - Abbot Ale House - Wednesday evenings 8pm

Vibes n Scribes - 3 Bridge Street -
    Wednesday mornings 10:30am - 12 noon
    AND
    Thursday Evenings 6pm to 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can knit, but can't hold my yarn! If anyone can teach me to hold the yarn, I would forever be grateful! :D

rosebud93 wrote: »
    Hi, I'd love to join a craft group to meet new people and learn new crafty things-i came along to the one in Very Healthy Food one night but no on else was there! Think it may have finished up at that point. Was still very cosy sitting there on the cushions knitting by myself :) I'm away for xmas at the moment but back in Cork on Jan 12th. Would a group meeting at people's houses work as there wouldn't need to be as many in the group?
    Evenings work for me too.
    Eva

Hi Eva - sorry there was no one there at Very Healthy Food, but yes it's a nice place to hang out anyway! If anyone wants to meet there again informally - or somewhere else cosy - I'd be interested. It's just a case of getting one or two people to commit to a time I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Hi All,

Looking for some classes in sewing with a sewing machine. I bought a machine and am finding it it not as easy as it looks. I am raring to go. All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Hi All,

Looking for some classes in sewing with a sewing machine. I bought a machine and am finding it it not as easy as it looks. I am raring to go. All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

There's a place out in Carrigaline that does lessons. They do everything from kids arts and crafts to adult sewing and they say they do hen nights and that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Great, thanks. I live in East Cork, would you know what they are called or have a number or email address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This paper published their info. http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/11001/2012-33/Get-creative-in-Carrigaline

There's also a knitting group that meets in the Abbot's Ale House every Wednesday at about 8.30pm.

Edit: I found the Carrigaline place's website http://www.becreativecentre.com

Advertisement