Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Successful Top Model (final 13) from Greystones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Good luck to her but what kind of an accent is that? Have I been away too long? Do Greystones people speak like that these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sagat2 wrote: »
    Good luck to her but what kind of an accent is that? Have I been away too long? Do Greystones people speak like that these days?

Some have a mid-Atlantic accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Confident and articulate; a good ambassador for Greystones. So young.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 New_Flash

Do Greystones people speak like that these days?

That's how everyone from "Graystone" speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Some have two English parents. Or parents with any number of accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Some have two English parents. Or parents with any number of accents.
    Isn't it said that the influence a childs peer group has can be illustrated by the fact that a child will normally pick up an accent similar to that of his/her peers over that of its parents.
    Perhaps the blow ins, sorry new residents of Greystones (by the way you're all very welcome, I hope you're enjoying your stay) can attest to this. Have their children picked up the clearer educated accent of Greystones over that of their parents original accents?
    This is another bonus to Greystones living that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

FirstIn wrote: »
    Isn't it said that the influence a childs peer group has can be illustrated by the fact that a child will normally pick up an accent similar to that of his/her peers over that of its parents.
    Perhaps the blow ins, sorry new residents of Greystones (by the way you're all very welcome, I hope you're enjoying your stay) can attest to this. Have their children picked up the clearer educated accent of Greystones over that of their parents original accents?
    This is another bonus to Greystones living that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Please don't feed the troll folks ;) post reported...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - pointless arguments about accents are off topic. Firstin please dont insult 'blow ins' by suggesting we all have 'unclear uneducated accents'.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

She and her family are English, so that probably explains the accent :D
    Kinda chuffed now, had her as a model for a fashion show we organised in Transition Year a couple of years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Sadly she has been eliminated but I'm sure she has a great future ahead of her.

A natural beauty, charming and unaffected; a great ambassador for Greystones.

Her family and friends must be very proud of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Sadly she has been eliminated but I'm sure she has a great future ahead of her.

A natural beauty, charming and unaffected; a great ambassador for Greystones.

Her family and friends must be very proud of her.

Some ambassador, if my geography is correct, Greystones is in Co.Wicklow.

http://skyliving.sky.com/bintm-the-girls/meet-joanne

0:07
    ''I'm Joanne Northey, I'm from DUBLIN''
    That's a great ambassador, where's the spire? Bray?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Some ambassador, if my geography is correct, Greystones is in Co.Wicklow.

http://skyliving.sky.com/bintm-the-girls/meet-joanne

0:07
    ''I'm Joanne Northey, I'm from DUBLIN''
    That's a great ambassador, where's the spire? Bray?;)

In fairness now I would hazard she was prompted to give an answer that most of the audience would recognize :) Keeps our little corner of Wicklow a little quieter too.
    Similar thought to you - when I played it back I thought maybe I had selected the wrong recording and there was another model from Dublin.

Advertisement