Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best quality portable radio advice.

Options
  • 26-07-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

folks i'm looking for a good quality portable radio , i really want it for my cycle touring trips so it cant weigh much must be on the small size but i need good quality sound and it must tune in to stations pretty easy :o
    it must run on aa batterys as there easily found .
    so whats out there that's going to keep me entertained on my cycling trips .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HUMPYWHORE

Anything from the roberts company would be suitable.You didnt say whether or not you need DAB or just analogue FM but you should find something from Roberts range.And they all use AA batts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

HUMPYWHORE wrote: »
    Anything from the roberts company would be suitable.You didnt say whether or not you need DAB or just analogue FM but you should find something from Roberts range.And they all use AA batts
    thanks for that is there one in particular i could get;) i need one about the size of a paperback or even smaller as long as the sound quality is excellent.
    thanks for the reply.

All Roberts sound really good but this should be your starting point.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Portable_radios.htm

All Roberts sound really good but this should be your starting point.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Portable_radios.htm
    wow thanks for that ,i do fancy the ecologic 1 seems to fit the bill even has dab .would it be possible to buy that here in ireland,
    any idea what that company is like for quick delivery.
    again thanks very helpful advice.

I would try Amazon see- http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=roberts+ecologic+1&x=0&y=0

You wont find it any cheaper in the shops.And you wont be disappointed with Roberts Radios.I have 5 of them!!

• Advertisement

I would try Amazon see- http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=roberts+ecologic+1&x=0&y=0

You wont find it any cheaper in the shops.And you wont be disappointed with Roberts Radios.I have 5 of them!!
    excellent i'll shoot over to amazon now see if i can pick up a bargain;)
    thanks for all your help your a star.

just ordered it on amazon £52 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

excellent i'll shoot over to amazon now see if i can pick up a bargain;)
    thanks for all your help your a star.

just ordered it on amazon £52 .

So how did you get on?

-EuIiYKd8KNGdAsxHQ27BwtV98TMGhnc4IS2JaNy4T_VDZMjCMtxACysXR6jqvm6hW64xTYdJcgzZzz1jqVjKOwgC1SJImAvD6Vn_agOM2tl2gacQXbuxjl2lCKDD24

I've been using this radio for years, great sound on FM. Its the Sony Walkman SRF-S84

brilliant radio great sound some crazy stations on dab but great listening ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002D9FKDS/ref=oss_product

Not the best quality by a long shot, but bought this last month. Solar, no batteries. Sounds fine. Have had two Roberts portables over the years, one fell in a lake while fishing and my last one....disappeared about two years ago. Pinched no doubt.
    But the one above, 200grs. odd will suffice for touring. All I want is the news and how heavy the traffic in the city is while I'm out camping. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Multi directional radios don't lose a signal as you walk away from them.How can i adapt my radio to hold the signal.It's a very annoying problem just as the battery is losing power. I'm handy with soldering.Here'a a tip if you use batteries you will find the one at the + positive end goes first and the others are often perfect.Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

these are getting great reviews covers the standard broadcast band MW LW and SW bands but also has SSB so you could have a listen to amateur radio ops, marine avaiation etc... among the fm dxers it is gaining in ranks as it can be modiifed with your choice of filters, and its a steal at only £30 on ebay its called a DEGEN DE1103

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

More like €55 to €65 when you include postage. But seems like good value. DAB is pretty pointless due to poor coverage and low quality. If you want choice over quality then Internet "radio" is better. Which can unlike YouTube Video or "webTV" work reasonably on a Mobile Internet connection if you can bear the low quality and the "hit" on your cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

any recommedations for a portable digital radio device covering the major FM stations for a commuter on a bike?:confused:
    must be digital as i dont want to be messing around with tuning whilst riding!
    have been using my phone but the reception is just awful:mad:

You mean memories.

FM is analogue and the Digital display + button tuned models are awkward to tune. It depends where you live. Some of the €2 ones with scan up to next and reset buttons are as good as some €100 models.

You are in to the €200 range to get a decent model with memories actually. Most of the €30 ish models with clock and memories are no better than a €2 radio stick.

cheers watty, any recommendations then circa €30?

There is nothing at €30 worth getting unless you buy from Hong Kong /China.

Search "world wide" Portable Radio on eBay.

my last radio which i bought from aldi cost a tenner was brilliant while it lasted:D

Probably you are in a good signal area. Those radios are about €4 worth.

watty wrote: »
    Probably you are in a good signal area. Those radios are about €4 worth.
    well i cycled from drogheda to mullingar during the so called summer:rolleyes: anyway i put the radio in my bar bag turned it on to my surprise i had perfect reception all the way it played for another three days non stop ,but gave up the ghost on my return leg :(
    hopefully my new roberts dab radio will stay the course next time out.;)

I think no DAB in Mullingar.

Actually all DAB sets in DAB mode have atrocious battery life compared to AM/FM sets.

• Advertisement

jeez mine is ok it takes rechargeable AA which seem to last forever, but i would take spare battery's anyway, btw next touring trip will be up north so should pick up all the UK stations.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I Still love those old sony radios, there is also an older squarer version which is just as good. It is hard to beat them for sensitivity, and sound quality..

I use my my smart phone radio now for FM, works fine as long as im not out in the back of beyonds or in the middle of a shopping center.
    Greenman wrote: »
    So how did you get on?

-EuIiYKd8KNGdAsxHQ27BwtV98TMGhnc4IS2JaNy4T_VDZMjCMtxACysXR6jqvm6hW64xTYdJcgzZzz1jqVjKOwgC1SJImAvD6Vn_agOM2tl2gacQXbuxjl2lCKDD24

I've been using this radio for years, great sound on FM. Its the Sony Walkman SRF-S84

hi fsl, how you getting on with the roberts dab radio? might take the plunge on it if you can recommend it.
    i work in dublin and commute to citywest so should be in the dab area?
    can you also get non-dab stations?

mickeycav wrote: »
    hi fsl, how you getting on with the roberts dab radio? might take the plunge on it if you can recommend it.
    i work in dublin and commute to citywest so should be in the dab area?
    can you also get non-dab stations?

yeah i think its great, perfect reception and yes you can tune into all the stations , theres 6 select buttons on there for you favorite stations ;)
    its about the size of a paperback book just make sure you flick the switch in the battery compartment for the matching battery's;)
    i bought it from amazon had it in 3 days .
    mind you its more suitable to the house i would take it in my barbag when cycle touring the reason i bought it in the first place.

sound, thanks a mil, will check it out!

Advertisement