Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kites in Fingal

Options
  • 26-07-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Just announced on the RTE News that 20 odd Red Kites were to be released in Newbridge Demense this evening. With a further 13 later this year in an unnamed location in Fingal. Mid 1800s would have been the last time they flew over NCD so if you see a strange sight in the sky above you pay close attention.

168496.jpg

Wiki
    The Red Kite is 60–66 cm (24-27 in) long with a 175–195 cm wingspan; males have a weight of 800–1200 g, and females 1000–1300 g.[2] It is an elegant bird, soaring with long wings held at a dihedral, and long forked tail twisting as it changes direction. The body, upper tail and wing coverts are rufous. The white primary flight feathers contrast with the black wing tips and dark secondaries. Apart from the weight difference, the sexes are similar, but juveniles have a buff breast and belly. The call is a thin piping, similar to but less mewling than the Common Buzzard. There is also a rare white leucistic form which accounts for approximately 1% of hatchlings in the Welsh population but is at a disadvantage in the survival stakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

That'd be lovely to see. I was bussing through Poland to Gdansk Airport this past weekend and saw an eagle for the first time in my life. Huge birds they are. I wonder what the chances are of them pairing up and pro-creating in the wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How long before they're poisoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've seen one out there. Beautiful birds.

Hopefully they'll reproduce well. They generally do when food is abundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

Great news. Will keep my fingers crossed for these beautiful birds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Corsendonk wrote: »
    With a further 13 later this year in an unnamed location in Fingal.

Ardgillan? Sure I read it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Brilliant news lets hope they are left alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

script%3E

A photo I took just before the launch.

script%3E

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Like you've tried to kill this thread before it even really started?
    If you've nothing worthwhile to bring to the thread - don't bother posting.

tHB

Like you've tried to kill this thread before it even really started?
    If you've nothing worthwhile to bring to the thread - don't bother posting.

tHB

I wasn't trying to be smart and sorry if it came across that way but unfortunately it's a sad fact that in other places when birds of prey were released in the wild, some were poisoned by farmers (allegedly) who think they're a threat to their sheep or whatever. I'm not saying it'll happen here but I do think the possibility of people thinking they are a danger to their animals and doing something stupid is a valid point to bring to the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's brilliant and hope it's hugely successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Valid point to bring to a thread:
    ...it's a sad fact that in other places when birds of prey were released in the wild, some were poisoned by farmers (allegedly) who think they're a threat to their sheep or whatever. I'm not saying it'll happen here but I do think the possibility of people thinking they are a danger to their animals and doing something stupid...

Pointless comment:

Back on topic now please...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

script%3E

A photo I took just before the launch.

script%3E

My link doesn't seem to have worked.

I tweeted this link yesterday and the IT picked it up.

http://img.ly/6FsM

(I'll have to figure out how to post photos up here some time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Anyone know how far they might fly from their base, I am outside Lusk, with a lot of Garden birds at the feeders, so plenty of food for the Red Kites if they come my way. (I presume they will take a pidgeon, dove, and small birds.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

martinn123 wrote: »
    Anyone know how far they might fly from their base, I am outside Lusk, with a lot of Garden birds at the feeders, so plenty of food for the Red Kites if they come my way. (I presume they will take a pidgeon, dove, and small birds.)

Certainly plenty of rabbits about.

Wiki
    The Red Kite's diet consists mainly of small mammals such as mice, voles, shrews, young hares and rabbits. It also feeds on a wide variety of carrion including sheep carcasses and dead game birds. Live birds are also taken and occasionally reptiles and amphibians. Earthworms also form an important part of the diet, especially in the spring.[8]
    As scavengers, red kites are particularly sensitive to poisoning.[9] Illegal poison baits set for foxes or crows are indiscriminate and kill protected birds and other animals.

I wonder will any venture out to Lambay, baby wallabies for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I might take the dog for a walk up there later and see if I can spot some. :)

I wonder will any venture out to Lambay, baby wallabies for lunch?

That'd be a sight to see

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Hey guys,

What sound do these birds make and how far can they travel?
    I saw 3 birds overhead today in kildare making sounds very like hawks. We do see the odd hawk here but not 3 together and the wing span of these birds looked much bigger

jayo

If the wiki is to be believed then as of 2010 there is 7 pairs in the country. Two new hatchlings were spotted over the Wicklow mountains.

I just got out the measuring tape to get an idea of their wing span and was surprised to see what sizes they can get to. It really is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

If the wiki is to be believed then as of 2010 there is 7 pairs in the country. Two new hatchlings were spotted over the Wicklow mountains.

I just got out the measuring tape to get an idea of their wing span and was surprised to see what sizes they can get to. It really is massive

I think there are way more than that.

This is from the Red Kite section of the Golden Eagle Trust:
    26 October 2010 http://www.goldeneagle.ie/news_viewnews.php?x=3&z=44&f=3&news_id=9&start=0
    "News of the first Irish Red Kite chicks in well over two hundred years got good media coverage when the story broke back in May. So there will be no surprises when I say the project has had a fantastic year. At least 12 Irish chicks fledged and we imported and released a further 26 young Welsh kite chicks. 38 new Kites for the skies of Wicklow

So thats 38 new Kites (in 2010) on top of what was introduced this week and those introduced the previous years (from 2006)

There was a great show in RTE a wee while back on the reintroduction of birds of prey to Ireland. I gave looked for it but its no longer opn RTE Player. Here is some info on it though. http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/the_eagles_return.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I'm so excited about this and I'm not even an avid bird watcher, I recently watched a bird of prey from my apt and it made me all squishy... my hubby says I should become a bird watcher... although I dont' have much knowledge I would be loving to join anyone in the fingal area who has a bit of knowledge as I am an avid lover of the birds in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

jayo99 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

What sound do these birds make and how far can they travel?
    I saw 3 birds overhead today in kildare making sounds very like hawks. We do see the odd hawk here but not 3 together and the wing span of these birds looked much bigger

jayo

Jayo, here's a link to a Kite's calling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfM2nW_IRM0&feature=related. It's not too distinctive to be honest, I guess you have to rely on the wingspan and the shape of the tail when comparing to hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They should survive here ok. If there is enough food for them. If not and they travel inland to where some farmers might have sheep there will a different view taken.

There has been trouble in Wicklow, Kerry and Donegal where it was alleged they attacked young lambs.

Wiill they come into surban estates for food? There were some rather large birds down at Rogerstown the other evening which were not the usual Herons you see there.

Bernyh If you contact Birdwatch Ireland they have a hide at Turvey where you can watch birds.

LeoB wrote: »
    They should survive here ok. If there is enough food for them. If not and they travel inland to where some farmers might have sheep there will a different view taken.

They like marshes as well as trees so Rogerstown and the Broadmeadow should be ideal.
    There has been trouble in Wicklow, Kerry and Donegal where it was alleged they attacked young lambs

Red Kites were only released in Wicklow, other birds of prey were released in Kerry and Donegal.
    Wiill they come into surban estates for food? There were some rather large birds down at Rogerstown the other evening which were not the usual Herons you see there.

Any of the Irish Red Kite nests examined contained the remains of a rather high number of rats. So it will depend on how many rats are around your estate. A point of caution to anyone that lays bait for rodents around their houses during winter to make sure they dispose of any dead rodents in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So how far are they likely to travel, just saw quite a large bird of prey, between Balscadden and Balbriggan earlier today, seemed quite big for any of the more common ones around - so could they have ventured this far already?

Zagato wrote: »
    So how far are they likely to travel, just saw quite a large bird of prey, between Balscadden and Balbriggan earlier today, seemed quite big for any of the more common ones around - so could they have ventured this far already?

It could be a Buzzard, they can be quite big and I seen a couple around NCD.

Buzzard
    Buzzard.jpg

Notice the V in the tail in the Red Kite photo below that the Buzzard above doesn't have. Thats apparently a good way plus the colour to identify a Red Kite from distance

Red Kite
    red_kite_ireland6.jpg

Zagato wrote: »

It could be a Buzzard, they can be quite big and I seen a couple around NCD.

Buzzard
    Buzzard.jpg

Notice the V in the tail in the Red Kite photo below that the Buzzard above doesn't have. Thats apparently a good way plus the colour to identify a Red Kite from distance

Red Kite
    red_kite_ireland6.jpg

Yes thought that alright, have seen buzzards around there before alright. It seemed to take off after a pigeon, but I would have thought both birds would be more inclined to ground based prey

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'm up in a friends place at the moment (Balbriggan) and a few minutes ago she spotted a bird of prey eating/killing another bird in the back garden. She only managed to get the last few seconds of it in the garden on the phone before it flew off. I have stuck the video below. She described it as having piercing eyes and spots on it's wings. Could this be one of the Red Kites or is it more like a Buzzard ? Either way, it's fantastic if she spotted one feeding in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm up in a friends place at the moment (Balbriggan) and a few minutes ago she spotted a bird of prey eating/killing another bird in the back garden. She only managed to get the last few seconds of it in the garden on the phone before it flew off. I have stuck the video below. She described it as having piercing eyes and spots on it's wings. Could this be one of the Red Kites or is it more like a Buzzard ? Either way, it's fantastic if she spotted one feeding in the garden.

Sparrow Hawk?

bryaner wrote: »
    Sparrow Hawk?

I reckon so, think it's too small for a Buzzard or a Kite

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1118/breaking13.html

Just a couple of months unfortunately. I was hoping this wasn't going to happen here.

Advertisement