Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merger of Waterford VECs with Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Sully wrote: »
    Lads its a Labour minister, not a Fine Gael minister, that did this. Remember in a coalition government not everything will go one partys way, and concessions will have to be made.

If your unhappy, go lobby Ciara Conway as your Labour TD.

Sully you're making excuses for your party. This is a cabinet decision therefore it's collective cabinet responsibility which means FG are responsible as well.We had enough of this "It's not me guv" from FF over the years.If Coffey can't get this overturned or at least put a major spotlight on this then he is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully you're making excuses for your party. This is a cabinet decision therefore it's collective cabinet responsibility which means FG are responsible as well.We had enough of this "It's not me guv" from FF over the years.If Coffey can't get this overturned or at least put a major spotlight on this then he is useless.

Coffeys expressed disappointment on twitter. He'll see that as him doing his part now.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Coffeys expressed disappointment on twitter. He'll see that as him doing his part now.

Great he must feel so trendy using the tweet machine. He needs to get off twitter and start doing the job he was elected for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Lads its a Labour minister, not a Fine Gael minister, that did this. Remember in a coalition government not everything will go one partys way, and concessions will have to be made.

If your unhappy, go lobby Ciara Conway as your Labour TD.

FG are in Govt, FG are in Power, FG are just as responsibile for this decision as Labour. even more so considering their majority.

The very same will happen if WIT is turned into a Univeristy of the S.E. the best bits will go to Kilkenny & Wexford as that is where the "Ministers" are from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1005/vec_waterford.html

Comments from Waterford VEC only there, not a peek from any of our esteemed representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm so confused! Does this mean the VEC that was in Dungarvan is gone to Wexford too? Like so if I'm dropping in a grant application, it's to Wexford? :confused::(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm so confused! Does this mean the VEC that was in Dungarvan is gone to Wexford too? Like so if I'm dropping in a grant application, it's to Wexford? :confused::(

yep, that is what a merger of Waterford County, Waterford City & Wexford VEC's means for Joe Soap

I can't wait to see Ciara Conway explain this betrayal away. Herself and Paudie Coffey need to kick up a major **** storm about this up to threatrning to resign their respective party whips..Especially since its also made the news there is no excuse.It's an opportunity for them if only they'll see it. We were all warned that this would happen prior to the election.Howlin and Hogan instead of delivering something for the region would just pillage allocated regional resources to their own constituencies. Zero sum politics 1950'S style at it's best.

Bards wrote: »
    yep, that is what a merger of Waterford County, Waterford City & Wexford VEC's means for Joe Soap

But it says the offices will still operate in Waterford so the forms can probably be dropped in there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    But it says the offices will still operate in Waterford so the forms can probably be dropped in there..

So what's the point of the merger?

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »

I presume they can't do work from the 2 offices in Waterford, just giving out and collecting forms? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

dayshah wrote: »

exactly!!! the public are crying out for mergers of councils and vecs etc, yet when something like this happens they complain and kick up a stink??!!

make your minds up folks!! You either want mergers etc, or you dont!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

exactly!!! the public are crying out for mergers of councils and vecs etc, yet when something like this happens they complain and kick up a stink??!!

Mergers make sense to reduce duplication. Anyway, Waterford is the logical location, as its halfway between the other two regional authority HQs.

We're not kicking up a stink because of the merger. We're kicking up a stink because the government have done a FF by allowing a minister to favour his own constituency over the suitable location which is Waterford. I and others warned this would happen as it did the last time the rainbow government was in and that people like Paudie Coffey would be powerless to do anything about it because of their inexperience.Yet all the FG hacks said otherwise and offered platitudes and "assurances" that Paudie would be in a good position to influence things.Well we all know now that was Bull****. Fool me once......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

FG TDs criticise Quinn for VEC move

THE TWO Fine Gael TDs in Waterford have harshly criticised the decision of Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn to locate the new headquarters for the amalgamated Waterford-Wexford VEC in Co Wexford.

John Deasy and Paudie Coffey have both said the actions of Mr Quinn were motivated by the fact that his Labour colleague and Cabinet colleague, Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin, is based in Wexford rather than on the criteria.

The assertions were rejected by a spokeswoman for the Department of Education who said that the decision was based solely on the criteria that were laid down for the mergers of VECs. A large number of factors had to be taken into account, she said, such as distance employees had to travel to the new headquarters, the availability of accommodation, existing lease arrangements, and the number of schools and educational facilities in the area. She also rejected the contention that the decisions were political.

Mr Deasy said locating the headquarters in Wexford rather than Waterford was a “a purely political decision” designed to facilitate Mr Howlin. Mr Coffey described the decision as “bizarre” and said it was influenced by the ministerial “hometown” factor.

However, the spokeswoman said the final choice between Dungarvan and Wexford town as a headquarters was a “finely balanced one”.

She said Mr Quinn had taken into account additional factors such as a a larger budget of €34.3 million for Wexford VEC as opposed to €32.6 million for the two VECs in Waterford City and County.

So wait now... Waterford city wasn't even considered as the location for the merged entity?

Why the fcuk not? Excuse my language!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I e-mailed all our local TDs, Ruairi Quinn, Howlin and the Taoiseach.

Paudie Coffey communications to various on the issue:
    Coffey critical of decision to locate new VEC HQ in Wexford

Waterford City centrally located for people from north Wexford to west Waterford

Fine Gael Waterford Deputy, Paudie Coffey TD, has criticised the decision to locate the new amalgamated Waterford and Wexford VEC head office in Wexford, saying Waterford city is the largest urban centre in the South East and is designated as the gateway city for the region.

Deputy Coffey has previously outlined his support for reform, for efficiencies in the VEC sector and for the centralisation of the VEC office but says the fact that Waterford, the regional Gateway City, has not been chosen as the location for the new headquarters is bizarre.

“Minister Quinn has indicated that a number of factors were taken into account in designating the headquarter locations where VECs are being merged. I would like the Minister to make public what these factors were. It is imperative that any headquarters should be centrally located to service the region in as efficient a manner as possible. Waterford City was designated as the Gateway City for the South East region in the National Spatial Strategy and therefore should be prioritised by Government as the location for any regional headquarters in cases such as this.

“I believe this is a ‘hometown’ decision, influenced, in part, by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, who is from Wexford town. This decision was made despite representations made by me to the Minister for Education and Skills as far back as 7th of July 2011 when I asked him to consider the merits of Waterford City as headquarters.

“I have once again written to Minister Quinn to ask him to state what the criteria and factors were for him to designate Wexford as the VEC headquarters. As a former member of Waterford County VEC, I recognise the need for efficiencies in this area and consider Waterford City a practical and sensible option for all involved. The merging of Limerick City and County and Clare saw the VEC being located in Limerick City. The merging of Cork City and County Cork VEC saw Cork City as the chosen location. What, then, is the reason for placing our VEC out on the periphery instead of in the heart of the area it is set to cover? What’s more, the Waterford City Manager has informed me that any infrastructure for the location of a VEC HQ in Waterford city would be made available.

“I am less than satisfied with this decision and I am urging Minister Quinn to reconsider and ensure that Waterford City is designated as the headquarters for the new VEC.”
    Ends
    Note to Editors: Please see attached letters to Minister Ruairi Quinn TD on the 7th July 2011 and 4th Oct 2011

Minister Ruairí Quinn TD
    Minister for Education and Skills
    Department of Education and Skills
    Malborough St
    Dublin 1

04th October 2011

Dear Minister Quinn,

I am writing to you in relation to the proposed amalgamated VEC headquarters for Wexford and Waterford.

I wrote to you on this matter on the 7th of July 2011 (please see letter attached) outlining the reasons I felt that it was important that the Headquarters be located in Waterford City.

In your press statement, you state that there were factors involved in deciding the new location, I would appreciate it if you could outline to me what were the qualifying criteria and factors involved and how you and your department arrived at decision to designate Wexford town to get the Headquarters for the amalgamated VEC.

This make little sense in my mind, as a person in West Waterford, that may have to travel to the Headquarters would now have to make a 254km round trip which would mean a 3.5 hour round trip.

I must protest in the strongest possible terms in relation to this decision, I would ask you to review this decision as a matter of urgency.

I thank you for your attention in this matter and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Minister Ruairí Quinn TD
    Minister for Education and Skills
    Department of Education and Skills
    Marlborough St
    Dublin 1

07th July 2011

Dear Minister Quinn,

Following your recent announcement regarding the amalgamation of the VECs throughout the Country, but more specifically Waterford City and County VECs and Wexford VEC; I wish to outline to you my views on the matter.

As a former member of Waterford County VEC, I can vouch for the good work at various levels in education that the staff of County Waterford VEC has been responsible for. However in the current economic climate I can appreciate the need for new efficiencies and economies of scale, therefore I understand totally why you have made the recent decisions on these amalgamations. I wish to make the point that Waterford City is the gateway city in the National Spatial Strategy for the South East Region.

Therefore I believe that it is the most appropriate place for the new headquarters of the new amalgamated VEC to be located; geographically it is located centrally and is within reach of both North Wexford and West Waterford which from the medium to long term administrative and travel costs is logical and makes most sense from a cost savings point of view. For Example Tallow in West Waterford is 75.6 Kilometres from Waterford City and Gorey in North Wexford is 83.2 Kilometres away.

I would appreciate if you could take these views into account when you establish the new amalgamated VEC structure. I thank you for your attention in this matter and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

fricatus wrote: »
    So wait now... Waterford city wasn't even considered as the location for the merged entity?

Why the fcuk not? Excuse my language!

Probably because if it was compared against Wexford Town it would make the most sense to locate it there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

good to see paudie making a bit of noise about this, has it been brought up in the dail?

O Riain wrote: »
    good to see paudie making a bit of noise about this, has it been brought up in the dail?

To be fair this is the bare minimum.There should be no compromise here.A line needs to be drawn in the sand. We've lost the best part of a thousand jobs in the last two weeks while Brendan Howlin has done this as well as lavishing millions on his local hospital.Meanwhile strategic projects in WRH have been dropped.This needs to be reversed and message needs to be sent by all three Waterford Government party TD's that thay are not going to tolerate as much as a Dáil envelope being favoured for a Ministers constituency just because they have a minister.Deasy is the only one so far coming close to this. We were promised change not this.

Junior wrote: »
    Probably because if it was compared against Wexford Town it would make the most sense to locate it there ?

Nailed on the head. Typical forked tounge language from Quinn here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Junior wrote: »

Well that would make sense in a bizarre kind of way... Lads, we want this in Wexford because that's where the minister is from... OK, but Waterford is bigger and more centrally located... yeah, but if we say we're considering Dungarvan - the third largest population centre in Co Waterford, then Wexford will win that battle!

IIRC there were three VECs being merged - Waterford city, Co Waterford and Co Wexford. Surely all three HQs should have been considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Has the Labour Party TD (Ciara Conway) reacted yet? And if not why??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This is her first big test. Can she stand up to a fellow Labour party TD?

I suspect she is currently too busy helping Michael D. Higgins with his Presidential campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Can someone outline what the impact of this is for the town. I have read the articles and thread and cant seem to quantify the loss. Are we losing jobs, investment, funding, courses or all of those. Apologies if I'm being a bit thick here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Last person out, please turn off the lights.

thomasm wrote: »
    Can someone outline what the impact of this is for the town. I have read the articles and thread and cant seem to quantify the loss. Are we losing jobs, investment, funding, courses or all of those. Apologies if I'm being a bit thick here

We are loosing Critical Mass. Name one thing that Waterford is the HQ of, yet we are "Supposed" to be the Regional Capital.

Waterford Should have the Regional HQ of the VEC based here. (Wexford)
    Waterford Should have the Regional HQ of the HSE Based here (Kilkenny)
    Waterford Should have the Regional HQ of the IDA Based here (Cork)
    Waterford Should have the Regional HQ of the ESB Based here (Cork)
    Waterford Should use it's Brand new state of the art Mail Centre which is based here, but no, all mail must go to Cork to be sorted.

These are just from the top of my head I am sure they are loads more examples out there

Edit:

Just remembered it was Brendan Howlin who moved the HQ of the Ambulance Call Centre for the S.E out of Waterford REGIONAL Hospital to Wexford GENERAL, during the last Rainbow Govt so he has prior

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

We are loosing Critical Mass. Name one thing that Waterford is the HQ of, yet we are "Supposed" to be the Regional Capital.

Waterford Should use it's Brand new state of the art Mail Centre which is based here, but no, all mail must go to Cork to be sorted.

These are just from the top of my head I am sure they are loads more examples out there

Edit:

Just remembered it was Brendan Howlin who moved the HQ of the Ambulance Call Centre for the S.E out of Waterford REGIONAL Hospital to Wexford GENERAL, during the last Rainbow Govt so he has prior

You have just highlighted the ineptness of our local public representatives and the powers that be that have us in this mess. Rather than just sitting around whining about it, how about doing something proactive like writing emails to our local representatives and demanding that they meet with you to address the issues. Remember, they are accountable to us all as we vote for them.

Edit:

Waterford is HQ for "The Southern and Eastern Regional Assembly", yet the work and activities of this body is NEVER covered by the media!! (DUBLIN was overlooked for this HQ)
    This particular body ensured that Waterford Crystal on The Mall received 1.5 Million in EU Funding, yet there was very little coverage in the media!!!
    It's not all doom and gloom in Waterford!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Has the Labour Party TD (Ciara Conway) reacted yet? And if not why??

Are you serious??? Possibly one of the worst TDs EVER!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Michael D Higgins & Ciara Conway will be at The Park Hotel in Dungarvan tomorrow @ 3ish! If you are in the area ... get in there & demand an explanation! This decision should be reversed!

Advertisement