Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any 'healthy' food delivery places

Options
  • 26-07-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

So Pizza delivery places tend not to have anything on the menu that would be deemed healthy, chippers the same. Indians are generally full of fat in most cases, Chinese is loaded with MSG. They're all so damn tasty and convenient though!

What food is there for delivery that is healthy? Anything in particular from any of the above? Is there any delivery places specializing in healthy food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bellew87

how bad is subway ?? they deliver in some places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

subway is damn good. No idea if its healthy either. Do they really deliver?

well im in navan and they do .... i cant imagine they are too bad other that high carbs in the bread and mayb a few saturates in the sauces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Subway deliver. The one in Ranelagh does for sure. How good/bad it is depends on how much meats/cheeses/sauces you ask for... but a basic sub is rather unthreatening.

mhge wrote: »
    Subway deliver. The one in Ranelagh does for sure. How good/bad it is depends on how much meats/cheeses/sauces you ask for... but a basic sub is rather unthreatening.

It's definately the healthiest I can think of anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Subway only appears healthy to be honest, it's not in the slightest, there were a few genuinely healthy delivery places during boom time but the prices were pretty steep and I can't seem to find them online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

"The Farm" on Dawson street deliver organic food.

it is impossibly hard to find somewhere really healthy now unless you make it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Kanum on Mespil Road and in Rathgar isn't a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Yami on Pleasant St deliver Sushi - there are worse options out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For a 'healthy' takeaway, I get noodles & stirfried veg (with no sauce) from the local chinese. They've EPIC noodles, you'd eat a long tray of them on their own. Or you could get tandouri chicken from the Indian?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Michie Sushi in Ranelagh if you're on the south side. Best sushi I've tasted in Ireland - very healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Some restaurants deliver where you can pick "healthier" stuff than chippers, etc. There is an Italian restaurant in Balbriggan that delivers, where I've gotten spaghetti bolognaise and stuff delivered. It often feels less naughty then a Chinese or Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mhge wrote: »

Subway subs contain more bad stuff (Hydo fats, calories, etc) then McDonalds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

SBWife wrote: »
    Yami on Pleasant St deliver Sushi - there are worse options out there.
    Their mixed sushi platter is possibly the nicest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fauntleroy

Subway's good but you have to be careful what you get, go easy on the sauces and cheeses. Plus their ham and turkey is made out of old pieces of ham and turkey and meat glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They're not allowed to call their Ham 'Ham' as there's so little actual Ham in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So Pizza delivery places tend not to have anything on the menu that would be deemed healthy, chippers the same. Indians are generally full of fat in most cases, Chinese is loaded with MSG. They're all so damn tasty and convenient though!

What food is there for delivery that is healthy? Anything in particular from any of the above? Is there any delivery places specializing in healthy food?

Indian food isn't "generally" full of fat, there are some excellent options, as long as you stay away from the cream and/or butter dishes (obviously). Pretty much anything "tandoori" is a good pick, as it's dry and the marinade is generally made with yoghurt. Jalfrezi is also a good choice, as are saag (spinach) dishes & dahl. Just get used to reading the descriptions in detail. You'll tend to find that the addition of buckets of cream is a Westernisation, the more authentic dishes tend to be lighter (notwithstanding liberal amounts of ghee in some of them!). If in doubt, ask your server.

I'm not a fan of Chinese food, but MSG actually isn't the devil's foodstuff it's been branded. Naturally-occurring glutamates cause the exact same reactions that people can get from MSG. Chinese food tends to have huge amounts of salt, though, and obviously stay away from dishes where the meat is battered before cooking.

Unfortunately, there are very few redeeming factors to the vast majority of takeaway pizza available in Ireland. So I recommend making your own - it's a hundred times nicer and can be an extremely nutritionally balanced meal if you do it right.

Chipper - again, there's not a whole lot you can say in its defense, except that thick-cut chips (like chipper ones) absorb less oil than skinny ones (like McDonald's), and if you're only having it once in a blue moon, as a treat, then I wouldn't stress about it too much. If it's a weekly thing, though, yeah, not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Food guru do some healthyish stuff they are in Swords but deliver as far as Lusk and Howth, they have Indian, Thai and Japanese. The Japanese seems healthy enough, they have noodle soups which don't seem to be full of fat (I could be wrong though) they have sushi too and their food is very tasty:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

duploelabs wrote: »
    They're not allowed to call their Ham 'Ham' as there's so little actual Ham in it
    That's nonsense.
    First of all, it is called ham on their menu.

It's reformed meat, no better or worse than all the other reformed meats bought in supermarkets and deli all over ireland for years. What dod you think chicken and ham slices sold by denny were? Some some of tasty offspring of a pig and a chichen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Ex
    Honey-ec wrote: »

Indian food isn't "generally" full of fat, there are some excellent options, as long as you stay away from the cream and/or butter dishes (obviously). Pretty much anything "tandoori" is a good pick, as it's dry and the marinade is generally made with yoghurt. Jalfrezi is also a good choice, as are saag (spinach) dishes & dahl. Just get used to reading the descriptions in detail. You'll tend to find that the addition of buckets of cream is a Westernisation, the more authentic dishes tend to be lighter (notwithstanding liberal amounts of ghee in some of them!). If in doubt, ask your server.

I'm not a fan of Chinese food, but MSG actually isn't the devil's foodstuff it's been branded. Naturally-occurring glutamates cause the exact same reactions that people can get from MSG. Chinese food tends to have huge amounts of salt, though, and obviously stay away from dishes where the meat is battered before cooking.

Unfortunately, there are very few redeeming factors to the vast majority of takeaway pizza available in Ireland. So I recommend making your own - it's a hundred times nicer and can be an extremely nutritionally balanced meal if you do it right.

Chipper - again, there's not a whole lot you can say in its defense, except that thick-cut chips (like chipper ones) absorb less oil than skinny ones (like McDonald's), and if you're only having it once in a blue moon, as a treat, then I wouldn't stress about it too much. If it's a weekly thing, though, yeah, not ideal.

Thats some good info. Cheers. I did exactly that the other night and ordered selectively from the indian. Bombay pantry for the record. I assumed butter chicken would not be the best option!

On the sushi delivery front, if there was one near me, id defo go for that. Love sushi and guilt free afaik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

suppose it depends what type of healthy food you are after. I dont know of any place that delivers salads or things like that but what about Thai food? That can be relatively healthy if you choose one of the stir fry options with steamed rice off the menu. Lemon Grass and Diep both deliver and as far as I am aware advertise that they dont use MSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

duploelabs wrote: »
    They put notes on things

http://subway.ie/menu/subs/classic/subway-melt-.aspx
    For that melt in the mouth experience. Sliced turkey breast*, ham†, bacon and melted cheese. It just works.

†Formed meat. *Reformed meat.

http://subway.ie/menu/subs/classic/steak-cheese.aspx
    Love me tender. Succulent strips of mouth-watering steak*, onions, green peppers & melted cheese.

*Formed meat made with shaved steak strips.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Chipper - again, there's not a whole lot you can say in its defense, except that thick-cut chips (like chipper ones) absorb less oil than skinny ones (like McDonald's),
    True, but the portions would be bigger in most chippers. I weighed a good few things before, working out WW points and kcal
    Bag of chips from Italian chipper 455g

Going off mc-cains site their premium chips are 253kcal and 7.2g fat sat per 100g

So 1,151kcal and 33g sat fat so 24.5points for the bag.
    http://points.ogo.ms/

There is an interview with the italian chipper association guys on youtube, one guy said they used lard, another said a typical fish & chips has about 800kcal! no way in hell!
    I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
    Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
    I hit 5.5 points at 370kcal presuming zero fat (and it was fairly greasy)
    That means if this was true then it was 46.25kcal per 100g. I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points.
    Just back from the Chinese now, chips weighing in at 395g, so 853kcal, 4.3g sat fat, so 13.5 points. Again that is conservative using the McCains figures which are probably lower than usual to appear lower in cals.
    My usual was chicken balls, curry sauce, chips (I know not chinese!).

I got it and it weighed loads, always did. So I got home and weighed each to see what I used to be eating.
    Chips- 520g (no joke! my scales is fine)
    Chicken balls- 350g
    Sauce- 200g.

I reckon the chips are ~250kcal per 100g, chicken ~300kcal/100g, sauce 150kcal/100g. Those are probably conservative figures, chicken balls are really just donuts, and sauce is probably loaded with oil.

So probably at least 2500kcal in all.
    I am just back from "lets eat in", the portions looked small compared to the usual chinese/indian takeaways huge helpings. They are in cubic boxes so it is deceiving. I am in work & had a scales handy, I also like to calculate calories to show people the reality of takeaway portions, rice was 310g, korma was 520g. 830g in total, now most microwave kormas are 300-400g, so it is over twice that. The rice was the size of a decent mug.

I would guess at least 1200kcal, will have to have a look at some rich korma sauce labels and try and figure it out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Hi all,

Myself & my wife find it hard to cook every night, especially with work & baby, etc - sometimes just not bothered. But I don't want to get greasy take-aways either! Once a week is enough for that!

Just wondering if there's anywhere in Dublin that will deliver good healthy (fresh or pre-cooked) meals? Don't mind paying for quality. I can't say I've heard of anywhere though! Supper's Ready was kinda close to that, but they're gone now!

So, anyone got any suggestions for what to do when you're just too tired to cook a meal from scratch, but you don't want to order a take-away?

Would probably use this 2 to 3 times a week if it was an option! Bring it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.
    If this doesn't answer your query drop me a PM & I'll move to the Dublin City forum.

tHB

Advertisement