Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu - Nescafé Mocha

• 26-07-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭

It was bad enough SuperValu charging €2.96, but now the robbers have shoved it up to €3.45 in one hit.:mad:

I'm assuming that all SuperValus are charging the same price as Garvey's in Listowel.

nescafe-mocha-drink-8-sachets-2008-p.jpg

They should be taken to the Hague for a crime against humanity.

I named the shop!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The daily caffeine hit is rising everywhere. Huge coffee bean price increases over past year. If its any consolation, you'd be paying £2.98 in all the nameless supermarkets in the UK.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

You may not be aware of this but Supervalu is one of the most expensive places for big branded products. It's best to buy cappuccino at Aldi.

Skopzz wrote: »
    You may not be aware of this but Supervalu is one of the most expensive places for big branded products. It's best to buy cappuccino at Aldi.

The NCA survey for june 15th 2011, shows SuperValu to be on average 3% more expensive for a basket of 149 branded items. Considering the convenience of most of their stores and the fact that they are mostly locally owned franchises with profits staying in the local community, its quite a small difference. - I can shop in my local supervalu or drive 40km to my nearest Tesco. (€10 in fuel round trip)

Above coffee example shows that for this item, they are almost identical to all the UK supermarkets.

BTW - expect further rises in coffee later this year. 1lb of coffee beans traded in June 2010 on the commodity markets for $1.30, today it trades for $2.80.

Obviously coffee beans & ground coffee will go up in price a lot more than pre-mixed sachets as the coffee element of the product is different.

Roasting, grinding, packaging, shipment etc, stay relatively stable, so a 115% increase in commodity markets won't result in 115% increase in retail prices, but do expect another 20% increase in the caffeine hit by year end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Musgraves have to pay for Superquinn some way lads!

Anyway, that shít in a box is not coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

That Nescafe Mocha is currently only 2euro in tesco but this is a special offer. Finishes 2nd aug , Aldi is better value and the prices stay the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    The daily caffeine hit is rising everywhere. Huge coffee bean price increases over past year. If its any consolation, you'd be paying £2.98 in all the nameless supermarkets in the UK.:D

The UK retail price for this nectar of the gods:pac: has always been higher in the UK than here, and that's never been any consolation to an addict when any of the feckers here shove the price up.:(

Another Listowel supermarket, Greaney's Spar, has always been charging in excess of the UK price, and the last time that I visited that place on an exploratory mission, they were charging over €3.50. At one time they were charging as high as around €3.80. I wouldn't buy anything in that feckin shop, nor have I for years. I always walk out of that store wondering why anyone's stupid enough to buy anything there.

Anyway, I'm going to have to go into rehab (or Amazon), because there's no way I'm paying over €3 for that stuff.:(

I'd need serious counselling if that plant died before delivering the goods.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I named the shop!

Its 2.22 for the same product in Albert Heijn in The Hague :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That Nescafe Mocha is currently only 2euro in tesco but this is a special offer. Finishes 2nd aug , Aldi is better value and the prices stay the same

But tesco have been caught running special offers only to increase the price after, higher than ever!

• Advertisement

Its 2.22 for the same product in Albert Heijn in The Hague :)

I'll get some on the way to court.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It was bad enough SuperValu charging €2.96, but now the robbers have shoved it up to €3.45 in one hit.:mad:

I'm assuming that all SuperValus are charging the same price as Garvey's in Listowel.

nescafe-mocha-drink-8-sachets-2008-p.jpg

I named the shop!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

The NCA survey for june 15th 2011, shows SuperValu to be on average 3% more expensive for a basket of 149 branded items. Considering the convenience of most of their stores and the fact that they are mostly locally owned franchises with profits staying in the local community, its quite a small difference. - I can shop in my local supervalu or drive 40km to my nearest Tesco. (€10 in fuel round trip)

Above coffee example shows that for this item, they are almost identical to all the UK supermarkets.

BTW - expect further rises in coffee later this year. 1lb of coffee beans traded in June 2010 on the commodity markets for $1.30, today it trades for $2.80.

Obviously coffee beans & ground coffee will go up in price a lot more than pre-mixed sachets as the coffee element of the product is different.

Roasting, grinding, packaging, shipment etc, stay relatively stable, so a 115% increase in commodity markets won't result in 115% increase in retail prices, but do expect another 20% increase in the caffeine hit by year end.

The problem is that local shops/local produce is more expensive. Shopping local is a false economy because it fails to address the high profit margin expectations by a local grocer (e.g. Supervalu). I would much prefer to shop in Aldi and buy in bulk so that it saves me from making multiple trips. Supervalu is definitely the least value for money. I always buy imported food if it's cheaper. Plus, Supervalu now has more purchasing power due to the weak British Pound.

:rolleyes:

:(

Advertisement