Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in other countries?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

After being looking at that other thread there where your man is wanting to head over to Africa for some hunting.

ANd I got to thinking. WHat kinda paperwork/legal/red-tape is involved in that kinda thing.

From licensing the gun here, to flying with the gun, to getting permission to shoot on the land over there. To bringing your game back.

Just a summary of the whole thing really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Gerry.L wrote: »
    After being looking at that other thread there where your man is wanting to head over to Africa for some hunting.

ANd I got to thinking. WHat kinda paperwork/legal/red-tape is involved in that kinda thing.

From licensing the gun here, to flying with the gun, to getting permission to shoot on the land over there. To bringing your game back.

Just a summary of the whole thing really.

About €20,000 and it's doable.... And more red tape than Daíl Eireann.....
    Shooting on game reserves is BIG buks, especially for the:eek: big 5 !

http://www.safaris-africa.co.uk/big5.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

20K for the Big five!!!! WHERE????I'm SOoo on for that price!!!
    More like 200k Tack;).
    Seeing that the geniune Five,[elephant,lion,leopard,RHINO,Cape Buffalo] is virtually impossible to do anymore without a fortune to spend for a rhino,if even doable if it is legal.

The "new big five" [replace rhino with a hippo].Still isnt cheap,and you are budgeting 40/50k.
    I
    ts not so much the hunt that costs alot,but the backup for the hunters that will make or break your experiance.Belive me it is very streneous type of hunting and if you are not used to heat and physical work in heat it will knacker you in short order.So there is nothing worse than arriving back in camp and there is sweet FA in dinner waiting for you,or the 4wd is broken or no water for a wash or even a cup of tea.Small things like that mean alot on a hunting camp trip.

You really want to shop around and ask and read up alot on reports of hunting companies wherever you want to go hunting.Cheaper isnt necessarily better in these cases.

Exporting the gun can be fun outside an EU country.Usually the guide/hunting company will handle the paperwork to wherever you are going.Well and good if you have a big calibre African game rifle here.You will proably know more about going to Africa than I will at the moment.

If not ,and you intend to shoot with a guide gun.Make double damn sure it works and you have PERSONALLY fired it to know so!There is nothing more terrifying and proably fatal when you are standing down a charging Buffalo and instead of the expected Boom,you hear a CLICK!:eek::D

Be prepared to have fun&games coming back into Europe with the trophies too.Make sure they have a CITES cert and it is up to date,otherwise customs might confiscate them .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

You don't have to spend 20K to hunt in Africa. There are plenty of reasonably
    priced plains game hunts for large and small antelopes, which will give anyone a good flavour of Africa.

For a couple of thousand euros and the cost of the flights one can get
    'cull hunts' where up to about fifteen animals without trophies can be taken over 4 or 5 days.

Its no difficulty at all to take a rifle to Africa, as long as the airlines are advised in advance with all the details of the rifle and ammunition etc. Even though not required, the European Firearms Pass is a good idea to carry as well.

Usually on arrival at an African airport the importation document for the firearm and ammunition will be filled in and unless it is an illegal firearm a temporary permit will be issued for the duration of your hunt.

Many airlines do not allow the transport of firearms so its best to check all
    the airline regulations prior to any booking.

If you go on the internet and check websites for African hunting a great deal of information can be got from them.

I hope the above may be helpful to those considering a trip to Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Slightly OT, but if you're interested in hunting in Africa, the books by Peter Hathaway Capstick are great reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Slightly OT, but if you're interested in hunting in Africa, the books by Peter Hathaway Capstick are great reads.

Peter Hathaway Capstick great reads.

I was offered trip and hunt to Africa for about €2.5K plus air fares and to shoot 7-10 animals but not any of the big 5. Includes hotel, well somewhere to sleep that's not bad, and food.

Plus you need a few dollors for back handers to speed things up through customs (it helps) or your rifle could be held up for hours in the lost department.

I think 308/270 would be the minimum calibre. Bigger the better.

• Advertisement

Lads,
    Forget anything under 25k for the big Five.Or expect to shoot it all in one trip.A decent elephant will already set you back 50k plus USD[payable in advance too].For info,most of the African States and traditionally I think hunts and safaris are always disscussed in Dollars.
    A very good Cape Buff is about 10/12 K USD.
    Small calibres are fine if you are only going after antelope type game.
    And that is fun too,and that is certainly cheaper.For those of you into long range shooting,Namibia is the place.Wide open Veldt with good long range shots and all the fun of heat mirages as well.:P

Any of the big game you need .375 Holland&Holland magnum upwards.Even that is somtimes bare minimum.I've seen a cape buff take three solid 375 magnum hits before it fell over.50 meters later.Which is enough to run you over and then some as well in its death thoes.[Why it is known as dangerous game!]. This is also where the SXS non auto saftey,non ejector rifle comes into its own.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

why non ejector grizzly?

Somthing else to go wrong in a very critical situation.:)
    Last thing you want is suddenly a spring not to go SPROING and throw out the shell when somthing big ,heavy and peed off is charging you.Same reason the saftey is usually non automatic reset.No fumbling,its ready to go on closure of the breech.

Advertisement