Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk on Donegal

Options
  • 26-07-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Just listening to newstalk on radio on on the way home. Eddie Hobbs presenting a show while George Hook on holidays, and for half an hour he had a guy on who just waxed lyrical about Donegal as a holiday destination.... was great to hear :)

Podcast not up yet but should appear here

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/the-right-hook/podcasts/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Yeah, great publicity, even if Eddie Hobbs had to keep calling it "a-Darragh" instead of Ardara. "Best B&B" in the northwest was in my neck of the woods, Clonmany. Thought for a while Inishowen wasn't gonna get mentioned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Heard bits of it, he sang praises for the old Castle bar in Donegal town, never eaten in it, but i will before the summers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dun wrote: »
    Yeah, great publicity, even if Eddie Hobbs had to keep calling it "a-Darragh" instead of Ardara. "Best B&B" in the northwest was in my neck of the woods, Clonmany. Thought for a while Inishowen wasn't gonna get mentioned at all.

Inishowen a great spot, that why we like to keep it to ourselves;)
    (see the thread about Northerners visiting Donegal!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bellarose

Senna wrote: »
    Heard bits of it, he sang praises for the old Castle bar in Donegal town, never eaten in it, but i will before the summers out.

Was there for the first time last week and was really impressed. Great selection of seafood and a really nice bar also. Will deffo be back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Presume it was Fionn Davenport who was doing the holiday section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Sorry for the delay in replying, unavoidable...

yeah it was Mr Davenport alright that was giving the big plug.

On a related note, there was a fairly impressive spread in the weekender magazine in the Indo on Saturday last, there really does seem to be a push on to get people to holiday at home/ireland this year...

I don't think holidaying at home will ever become popular again for the simple reason of the weather.

People like to go abroad simply to know that when they wake up in the morning there is a 95% chance the sun will be shining and that it's going to be a sunny, hot day.

Which is a shame.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Considering the crap Summer we had this year so far, who can blame people for getting away from the dreary weather for a week...

It just takes a bit of good weather to lift the spirits of many.

I think if Ireland was guaranteed good weather for June, July and August, it would be the best place in the world.

Instead you tend to get a few good weeks in April or May, and maybe Sept, and then pissing rain the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Driving home (Clonmany) from Derry on a nice day, coming around the bend before Lisfannon at Fahan, looking at Lough Swilly between the stretch Rathmullan to Portsalon on the left, and Buncrana and the rest of Inishowen to the right, I often think there's no more beautiful place in the world than our own wee county. It's absolutely stunning.

Just really a shame about the unpredictability of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Rte one tonight at 7 on Nationwide is all about Donegal "in thru"
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/08/19/rtes-nationwide-to-feature-donegal-this-evening/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dun wrote: »
    coming around the bend before Lisfannon at Fahan, looking at Lough Swilly between the stretch Rathmullan to Portsalon on the left, and Buncrana and the rest of Inishowen to the right

I do quite a bit of driving and everytime I come back in towards Buncrana it hits me as one of the most breathtaking views I've seen. As you say, it's a pity Ireland, and Inishowen in particular, has such a miserable climate.

Advertisement