Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Kites In Fingal

• 26-07-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

The RTE news at six had a report on the release of Red Kites at Newbridge Demesne today. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for Buzzards and Kites :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Eddy Hill

Bsal wrote: »
    The RTE news at six had a report on the release of Red Kites at Newbridge Demesne today. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for Buzzards and Kites :D

More tax payers money spent on reintroducing species with a high conservation status

monuments to human egos
    or real conservation management ?

when will they reintroduce the corn bunting ?

we can't protect our dunes or raised bogs
    there is f a corncrakes left in the Shannon Callows,
    bird of prey being killed in Kerry and Donegal
    its a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Eddy Hill wrote: »
    More tax payers money spent on reintroducing species with a high conservation status

monuments to human egos

Red Kites are listed as near threatened and are decreasing across much of range. If Ireland can eventually get a stable population of Red Kites, then that would be a good conservation success.
    The reason Corncrakes are virtually extinct in the Shannon Callos is because of summer floods in the last decade. Habitat is not the problem there.
    There are huge numbers of Corn Bunting in Southern Europe. They are not threatened globally.(I would like to see Corn Bunting back in Ireland though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

monuments to human egos

we can't protect our dunes or raised bogs
    bird of prey being killed in Kerry and Donegal
    its a joke

Yeah.

It's always easier to knock people who try to do something than to actually do anything constructive. Much easier sit on the ditch and fling out the usual platitudes. We are losing raised bogs and dune systems because of the number of people who moan at anyone who tries to do anything, and remain silent when morons like Ming are crowing about their ancient birthright to dig out sausage turf with track machines.

The birds of prey "being killed" in Kerry and Donegal were reintroduced birds, and did a hell of a lot to highlight an unrecognised issue, and also did a hell of a lot to reduce the problem. And they are not "being killed" either this year are they? at least not the way they were last year - there were a lot fewer poisonings this year.

So instead of slagging the the few active soldiers on boards.ie, why not join the army yourself? Divert those keyboard skills to something that contributes. The world doesn't need another critic.

Sorry for the sharp tone, its been a long day, and this attitude sickens me.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

?

Probably pointless ATM given the lack of habitat and modern farming methods:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

LostCovey wrote: »

The birds of prey "being killed" in Kerry and Donegal were reintroduced birds, and did a hell of a lot to highlight an unrecognised issue, and also did a hell of a lot to reduce the problem. And they are not "being killed" either this year are they? at least not the way they were last year - there were a lot fewer poisonings this year.

I agree, I hate to think how many other species like buzzards were being quietly poisoned the length and breadth of the country before the poisoning of Sea Eagles and Kites highlighted the problem and something was finally done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

morons like Ming are crowing about their ancient birthright to dig out sausage turf with track machines.

Ha ha! I'm glad you pointed this one out. Some of the turf cutters try to give the impression that they are John Hind postcard style traditional types, but in fact many are running commercial automated extraction operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

there are2 big buzzards on land around me, i do often ly in a ditch watching them hunt, they are huge things and great to watch! There are a few hawks too not sure what they are tho but iv seen them take crows out of the sky and go after rabbits!

Iv seen a buzzard flying around ballycoolin a few times, near hutton and meade

! There are a few hawks too not sure what they are tho but iv seen them take crows out of the sky and go after rabbits!

Thats interesting - does this bird look like a large female Sparrowhawk??:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah.

LostCovey
    well said.

Both the increasing UK and Irish populations of this species are becoming increasingly important for the survival of this species on a global scale as former strongholds such as Spain and France continue to undergo massive declines. The situation in the former country is particualry worrying since large numbers of German and Swedish birds winter there and are being lost too:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Thats interesting - does this bird look like a large female Sparrowhawk??:)
    not too sure man, if ya want to come over for a shoot some weekend ya would prob see them, not too far from you i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Was thinking of heading down to Donabate this evening to see if I can see any of the Kites. Would love to see one. How likely is it that they are still in the area? Or would they have spread out in all directions by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Was thinking of heading down to Donabate this evening to see if I can see any of the Kites. Would love to see one. How likely is it that they are still in the area? Or would they have spread out in all directions by now?
    They will be leaving out food dumps for the birds until they are able to fend for themselves. They won't stray from the area if they know there is freely available food around. Head for the release site in Newbridge demense park.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

They are all still very close to the release site. I was there today for a few hours and it was absolutely amazing. I even got to meet a few like minded enthusiasts. The Red Kites weren't flying for long, but the short flights were still impressive.

They are a truly wonderful bird and I hope they thrive around North Dublin, along with the Buzzards.

ChrisM wrote: »
    They are all still very close to the release site. I was there today for a few hours and it was absolutely amazing. I even got to meet a few like minded enthusiasts. The Red Kites weren't flying for long, but the short flights were still impressive.

They are a truly wonderful bird and I hope they thrive around North Dublin, along with the Buzzards.

I went there yesterday evening too and I had much the same experience as you. It's a nice quiet part of the park that they are located and they were never flying any higher than tree-top height. I just sat on the grass and watched them for about an hour. Terrific birds. One of the fellas I got chatting to said that 26 or so got released but I dont think I saw anymore than 6 of them. I was pleased to even see one though so seeing a few of them was brilliant. I'd say ill head back there over the weekend to see them again before they expand beyond the park. Id imagine one or two of them at least will make the park their home as there are some terrific mature trees and wooded areas there. I'd recommend anyone to pop along and see them. Nows the ideal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

On the news report they said 12 where being released, can't wait to head out and see them myself.

Bsal wrote: »
    On the news report they said 12 where being released, can't wait to head out and see them myself.

Yep - great to have such a stunning bird back in Dublin, one that our Viking and Norman ancestors would have been very familiar with around the city:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

How big would they be compared to, oh I don't know, a seagull, for example? Just curious to what size they are, the ~180cm wingspan sounds like they'd be big :eek:

How big would they be compared to, oh I don't know, a seagull, for example? Just curious to what size they are, the ~180cm wingspan sounds like they'd be big :eek:

From seeing them yesterday, id say you are talking roughly the size of a buzzard.

Slightly bigger then a buzzard - they are the nearest thing we have to vultures and fullfill a usefull role in other countries by cleaning up dead carcasses, including road-kill.

Because they are built for scavanging as opposed to active hunting, they have a very light frame that is all wing and tail - this means an adult Kite only weights on averge a mere 2 pounds!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I was out there today and was surprised about how many kites I saw. I originally thought there were only a pair released only to be told there were 26 although I think it was only 12 released with further releases planned.

Anyway what a beautiful bird which really does live up to its name Red kite. I got to see 6 at one time although talking too another person and he was there this morning and saw 12 of them displaying. Surely an excellent reintroduction considering it was man that got rid of them oin the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

I was so excited seeing 4 of them at once to be honest it felt like 26:)

I think I saw A0, A3, A5 and A9, I could be wrong though as my binoculars and eyesight wouldn't be the best?

Whether they saw 26 or not they are fantastic shots, thanks for sharing.

I went out to Newbridge this afternoon to see the Red Kites, 8 was the max I seen at any one time. Very impressive birds and they come quite close over your head too.

I was out in Turvey nature reserve today and seen one Red Kite, so they seem to be moving out of Newbridge now. Also in Newbridge by the river I seen my first ever Kingfisher :D today.

Advertisement