Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus service in Tipperary

Options
  • 26-07-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not driving at the moment so am looking for a bus service that goes between Nenagh,Thurles, Cashel. I would cycle but am unwell at the moment. I found info on the Shamrock Bus Company online but none of there services reach the destination at a reasonable hour in the morning. Eg. If I want to go from Nenagh to Thurles the earliest time I can get there is 12:15!
    Surely it's not unreasonable to want to arrive before the working day starts? (eg. 8:00 or 9:00)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's not what you're looking for but you could sign up for http://carsharing.ie/ - you might find a regular lift that would be more reliable than a bus service. Public transport links within Tipp are dismal. Anything that is there seems to be set up for pensioners on shopping trips or the bingo brigade, and the regular school services that might actually get you somewhere in time for work are barred from taking adults, which is fair enough, considering child safety and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cool, that link might come in handy. Surprised there is no real bus service available. Do people with out cars commute in Tipperary? I can cycle Nenagh to Thurles in about 70 mins, I just won't be able to for the next 5 or 6 weeks due to health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

tuxy wrote: »
    Cool, that link might come in handy. Surprised there is no real bus service available. Do people with out cars commute in Tipperary? I can cycle Nenagh to Thurles in about 70 mins, I just won't be able to for the next 5 or 6 weeks due to health issues.

Fair play cycling the Nenagh-Thurles road. It's dangerous enough in a car, wouldn't fancy it on a bike, not the way trucks take the bends, especially between Borrisoleigh & Fantane.

I think people without cars basically move to wherever they get a job, at least when they are younger or if they don't have a family/mortgage. You'd often see signs up in the shopping centres or notices in the local papers for people looking for lifts too - I know a few who car share to Kilkenny or Limerick every morning from Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fair play cycling the Nenagh-Thurles road. It's dangerous enough in a car, wouldn't fancy it on a bike, not the way trucks take the bends, especially between Borrisoleigh & Fantane.

I normally take up a fairly defensive position in the lane so nothing can overtake unless it's there is loads of room. Truck drivers a much more considerate than transit van drivers.

When I was driving I used to see a guy cycling out by Knockalton at 1:30am most weekdays. He was lit up lit a christmas tree but I'm not sure I would want to use that road at that time.

Advertisement