Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OAP Pillions?

• 26-07-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

For the past few years I always have big bikes like transalps, KLE's etc. My dad always had bikes, I think I was four when he switched to cages, so my mum was always on the back with him. She was always pestering me to take her out, but she couldn't get on them. TBH I was glad she couldn't I was terrified of something happening.

Anyway I picked up Vespa 200PX a few months back as a project, her first words where "I would fit on that". So I take her out on it about once a week now and she loves it, I replaced my stolen CB500 with a Super-Four last week, first words where the same , "I be able to fit on that", it's a tad more difficult than the Vespa but I had her out on it last night. She loves being on them; I think I do be more anxious that her. She is 80 years old.

It sound a bit sad I'm in my 40's, and since my dad died I spend a night or two down her house, and to be fair taking her out on the bikes has made a big difference to our relationship.

Anyway, the point I have in posting this is would you have a 80 year old pillion? Would you consider it unsafe? I happy with her as a pillion, she know how to behave on a bike, but what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Fair play to you.

As long as she's not going to put you at risk then I'd say it's fine. I'm sure your not racing around and just taking it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

As you said, she's fine on the bike. If she's not causing any risk then you should be okay. Besides, Im sure you're driving extra carfeully when she's on the back!

It sounds like a really nice activity to share with each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Aww that's lovely. Fair play to yourself and the mammy. That's class that at 80 she loves going pillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah deffo, she is one of the best pillions I ever had on any bike; and of corse I do be paraoid in case something happened, so it keeps you sharpe. I have to make sure I get some pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That's great! I hope there'll be a little thrillseaker in me when I'm that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Odysseus wrote: »

Anyway, the point I have in posting this is would you have a 80 year old pillion?

I'd hope someone would take me out on a bike at 80 if I couldn't manage it myself.

Would you consider it unsafe?

Once she is wearing proper gear and you've already said you take it handy no.
    I happy with her as a pillion, she know how to behave on a bike, but what do you guys think?

You're a good kid:D Fair play to both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Fair play man. As above I'd love someone to take me for a spin when I'm 80!

You should surprise her though. Borrow a cruiser like a Pan, Goldwing etc with backrests etc and take her for a spin through nice scenic countryside.

She'd love it and you'll never forget it.
    What a bonding experience it would be too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

That's class. Well done OP. I definitely endorse it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

@ the OP, I would be pretty nervous about it. If I could make sure somehow that she is safe getting off the bike then I'd be comfortable about it. The thought an old woman trying to get off a bike and slipping or anything like that puts chills down my spine.

Other than that little worry, I would be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

thats the cutest little story, fair play to her! i really do hope im like that when im her age!
    I think if you take it easy and help her on and off then you are doing her a world of good.
    I think its wonderful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

Of course its a wee bit unsafe but surely thats half the craic. And there's danger everywhere not just on bikes. How many old dears fall off toilets and burst hips in nursing homes? The woman is living a bit more at 80 than some youngwans of 19.
    Take her out everyday.

@ the OP, I would be pretty nervous about it. If I could make sure somehow that she is safe getting off the bike then I'd be comfortable about it. The thought an old woman trying to get off a bike and slipping or anything like that puts chills down my spine.

Other than that little worry, I would be fine :)

Getting on and off the PX 200 id simple, Vespa's have a gap at the end of the saddle so she can stand of the floorboards and the slip on to the saddle. There is a also a back-rest on the Vespa so she can really relax on it.

I had her out on the CB super-four the other night and she love it.

It's over 30 years since she been a pilllion, but I have to admit she is a pleasure to carry compared to some people I had as pillions.

Cheers lads, thanks for the responses, I showed her them tonight she was delighted with herself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

That's the best biking thread I've read in ages. It warms my jaded heart to think of you both enjoying the spin. Best of luck to you. I think you will treasure those memories.

Just ride safe and careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

fair play to ya OP...........hope ye both continue to enjoy the spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Grab urself a goldwing.. my folks go out on theirs all the time, my mams fallen asleep a few times on the back of it. It's like sitting in an arm chair :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Anyway, the point I have in posting this is would you have a 80 year old pillion? Would you consider it unsafe? I happy with her as a pillion, she know how to behave on a bike, but what do you guys think?

Well, I take my girlfriend on my bike, and we do not feel that it is unsafe in any way. She has all the gear, and I have explained to her how to behave on the bike.

The only thing is the next bike I get will have a top box - she is still a bit scared of falling off the back of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

one of the best threads iv read in ages. fair play op

one of the best threads iv read in ages. fair play op

Cheers, I was a bit unsure about posting it, as it is an unusal topic, thanks to everyone for the responces. My Mam is amazed at the posts too. So thanks everyone.

I want to get some pics so I'll post some when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Great post. You're mother sounds like a great woman and deserves a son like you.

As promised some pics of her on the Vespa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lovely thread. Genuinely heartwarming.

I hope you both enjoy many more years of biking together. Times like that are priceless.

Advertisement