Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mATX build... some help/opinions?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Something like this possibly:

Total build cost: €821.32 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €176.60
    ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €94.85
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €46.10
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €93.44
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €16.79
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.86
    LogiLink SATA 0.3m Kabel mit Sicherungslasche €0.60
    Club3D Geforce GTX560 Ti, 1024MB €186.71
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Define Mini €82.94
    Antec Truepower New 550W €78.43

I haven't included a cooler as I'm not too familiar with low profile ones. The stock cooler should be fine for some light overclocking though, even in a tight case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Total build cost: €705.00 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €176.60
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €39.65
    ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €94.85
    Special item: Lian Li PC-V352A - silver, mATX, ohne Netzteil €110.93
    Sapphire HD6770 1G GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / DP €92.24
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.86
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €93.44
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.43

Only thing missing is a cpu cooler, wasn't sure what would fit in a matx case.
    Do you already have a monitor, mouse/keyboard and an os?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Those are some pretty descent builds. What do you think of the Asus maximus motherboard? Like I'm not going to be playing any hardcore games but it looked like a good investment for overclocking and upgrading to me... Looks kinda cool too...

I have a monitor but need to get mouse/keyboard and os.
    Probably have a mouse lying around somewhere too... Don't need an expensive mouse as I won't be gaming and I've got a wacom tablet for photoshop stuff...

Do you think its worth getting the Windows 7 ultimate over professional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

The only thing W7 Ultimate has over Pro is support for Hardware Based Encryption.

Leman wrote: »
    The only thing W7 Ultimate has over Pro is support for Hardware Based Encryption.

I don't think I'll need that. Is the Pro much better than Home?
    I'm not a business user or anything like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

You may as well get the Home if it is cheaper. Or use a real os, like me (yay for Linux :D)

Well seeing that it looks like Home will be enough for me. But is there anything like better stability or something like that Pro has over Home which could make it worth spending the extra for?

Well seeing that it looks like Home will be enough for me. But is there anything like better stability or something like that Pro has over Home which could make it worth spending the extra for?

Not really, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

One thing Pro has over Home that would make me get Pro instead is it can use the Remote Access thinggy built into windows. So if you often do little fixing jobs for family and friends you can just log in to their computer from yours and do what needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I wouldn't get pro just for rdp, not since you can use a number of different remote desktop applications anyway, logmein's not a bad one.

• Advertisement

I have used TeamViewer in the past and it's great. Very simple to use and all that. But the fact I have to get the person to download it and run it makes it a little less simple, especially if they don't know anything about computers.

I am more thinking of getting it from software4students where it's so cheap I would be mad not to get it :D

Edit: Sorry for going off-topic. On a more related note, I have included a link that the OP can get Windows for cheap if they are a student or have one in the family. Student as in college or school.

Cheers, I don't think I'll ever use the remote desktop thing.

And yeah software4students is a great website. I got photoshop off them. Too bad they don't have windows, only upgrade.

Do you guys know if its any better getting AMD processor as opposed to intel?
    Like would the AMD Phenom's 6 cores be any useful while working with photoshop and such or is intel's hyper threading better?
    AMD is slightly cheaper too...

Cheers, I don't think I'll ever use the remote desktop thing.

And yeah software4students is a great website. I got photoshop off them. Too bad they don't have windows, only upgrade.

Do you guys know if its any better getting AMD processor as opposed to intel?
    Like would the AMD Phenom's 6 cores be any useful while working with photoshop and such or is intel's hyper threading better?
    AMD is slightly cheaper too...

On a 1k budget definitely not. AMD are good for low budget machines but if you can afford the 2500k then it blows everything else away.

You can use the Upgrade version for a clean install, people building PC's here do it very regularly. Just google it to find out what you need to do.

Advertisement