Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental care in Australia?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

I'm most probably moving to Perth this september. Just spotted on another thread somebody mention as one of the things they would miss least in Oz was the dental care they had which had mentally scarred him for life! :eek:

Having been a bit of dental phobe for years, I have a few problems and some root canal treatment and crowns are definately on the cards in the near future.

So should I rush in and get the work done here in the UK, even though it doesn't need doing just yet, or wait untill I do have to have it done (like when half my molar snaps off and the massive filling it was holding in, falls out!) in Australia.

Is it very expensive for big jobs like root canal treatment and crowns, implants, semi dentures (oh god I hope I don't need one soon!) ?

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Dentists are hideously expensive in Australia:eek: I was quoted almost $2000 for a root canal. Even a relatively simple filing could set you back close to $200. If you need dental treatment I'd get it before you go.

You can enrol in private health care which means you will get a rebate of some (but not all) of the costs. Some insurers may make you wait 12months before covering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

if you have the time i would stop off in thailand on your way and get the work done there at a fraction of the cost, the dentists there are top notch, i have gotten some root canal and crowns done there and i saved thousands from what they were looking for in ireland.

i went in to my dentist in ireland a few months ago and he was shocked at the superb quality of work that they did and when i told him how much it cost he was looking at me stupid like if he didn't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I paid $2751 for a crown a few weeks back, and had 4 silver fillings replaced with white ones - at $257 a pop. Not sure if thats considered expensive or not - the PRSI dental scheme had me spoiled for a good while!

Found the dentist to be excellent, no issues at all. There are good and bad everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

kdevitt wrote: »
    I paid $2751 for a crown a few weeks back, and had 4 silver fillings replaced with white ones - at $257 a pop. Not sure if thats considered expensive or not - the PRSI dental scheme had me spoiled for a good while!

Found the dentist to be excellent, no issues at all. There are good and bad everywhere.

are you a PR?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    are you a PR?

No - on a 457

• Advertisement

Thats a hefty invoice, was thinking a good heath fund would have covered most of that.

Thats a hefty invoice, was thinking a good heath fund would have covered most of that.

Well it would have cost me over 7k for a fund which would cover my family for dental, and that had a waiting period - so wasn't too put out by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

As with anything, shop around! I found huge differences in Dentist prices from one to another in Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Get it done in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

How much is a general check up and polish in Australia at the dentist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for all the replies. :)

But am in a right panic now as I'd be under pressure timewise to get 2 root canal treatments and 2 crowns in the 5 weeks I have before heading off. Think I'll just have to hope for the best that the teeth hold out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Zambia wrote: »
    Get it done in the UK

only get it done in the UK if it's private. NHS quality root fillings are shocking. absolutely shocking!

only get it done in the UK if it's private. NHS quality root fillings are shocking. absolutely shocking!

It would have to be private anyway as I was recently at a new NHS dentist and she won't even consider going there until I am in agony with infection and abcesses! Even though there is decay and a little toothache in one and signs of slight infection in the other. Supervised neglect I believe it's called!

ballysmchugh, would it be possible to get that work done in 5 weeks?? Maybe if root canal treatment wasn't necessary??

eh, slight infection = infection. why won't she do it?? do you really need 2 root fillings?? or just one and a normal filling??

you could ask for a referral, private root fillings are usually done in one hit, taking a few hours.

My previous dentist said there was signs of infection on one of the troublesome teeth but then I moved house so have a new dentist. Just had my first appointment and she didn't mention seeing any sign of infection on the achy tooth. I was a bit dazed from being in the chair so didnt' think to mention previous dentist's obversations! It's a heavily filed molar, hardly anything left of it really. It gets achy every few weeks and I have a pack of amoxicillin from last dentist just in case it got bad during the house move! :rolleyes:

The other tooth is a molar with a crown. Previous dentist said there was some decay there around a ledge/gap as it is a poor fit. I'm not sure if I would need root canal done on it - hopefully not! New dentist probed but said she could feel no decay. :confused:

I'm back in with her on friday for a small filling so might push her on the decay.... though not much point, as you say NHS rct and crowns are terrible... :(

....should we move this over to dental issues?!! :o

2 or 3 of the dentists that post in dental issues are in oz now anyway!

sounds like the first dentist was expecting it to wake you up some night but didn't want to do the root filling. that'd be worth checking out. need signs on an xray though.
    i have to stand up for some nhs crowns though, the technician we used did it all himself. there are some honest technicians still about that make things fit. the majority are shipped abroad now and are cheap and cheerfully awful.

hmmm.... and i'm moving back to the uk in 5 weeks too!!

Zambia wrote: »
    Get it done in the UK

Friend of mine from the north paid near $3000 for similar treatment a few years ago it would have been cheaper to get a return flight and get the work done for nothing.

2 or 3 of the dentists that post in dental issues are in oz now anyway!

sounds like the first dentist was expecting it to wake you up some night but didn't want to do the root filling. that'd be worth checking out. need signs on an xray though.
    i have to stand up for some nhs crowns though, the technician we used did it all himself. there are some honest technicians still about that make things fit. the majority are shipped abroad now and are cheap and cheerfully awful.

hmmm.... and i'm moving back to the uk in 5 weeks too!!

Not the East Midlands by any chance? Need any furniture.... a nice telly... or a lovely old BMW with low mileage!! ;)

Yes, the first dentist did see, some vague darker areas on the heavily filled tooth. The filling was replaced twice, over a year ago, first replacement was a botched job (privately done :rolleyes:) The thing is probably doomed at this stage. It's been achy on and off for a year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I signed up to noble dentist from what i can remember it was 40 dollars and saves you a percentage on all work from select dentists.
    When i say select there are loads to choose from and the place in Newtown i go to is very good.
    You just quote your noble number and get a discount on the spot, simple as!
    First appointment pays for the years cover

nobledentist.com.au

I think i will be looking at some expensive work that noble probably wont make much of a saving on (root canal, vener's) has anyone had any personal experience with dentists in Thailand or Bali?
    Not sure if you can mention them but a PM would be great, Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EternalCowboy

STIG83 wrote: »

My last check-up in February this year was approximately $120. Pretty expensive considering you're only in there for 15-20 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

My last check-up in February this year was approximately $120. Pretty expensive considering you're only in there for 15-20 minutes!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SuperSocks

In a similar situation. Heading off in under 4 weeks on a 4 year contract. Pretty sure I don't get dental insurance with work.

Don't have terrible teeth, but not great either.

My question (sorry for diverting from OP's original) is whether most people in Oz have dental insurance, or do they pay the regular fees?

Most people would have insurance.

I have hospital cover with dental cover, checkup, X-Ray, 2 fillings & a Pin was $650 and the insurance covered it all except the the $50 gap.

Most people would have insurance.

I have hospital cover with dental cover, checkup, X-Ray, 2 fillings & a Pin was $650 and the insurance covered it all except the the $50 gap.

You're on PR or a citizen though? - if Supersocks is here for 4 years its more than likely a 457

kdevitt wrote: »
    You're on PR or a citizen though

Most people in Oz are.:rolleyes:

Most people in Oz are.:rolleyes:

Less of the sarcastic smiley - you're fully aware that health insurance is a totally different affair for people on 457's, and that the majority of people on this forum are not PR's or citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

STIG83 wrote: »

I had a check up, scale and polish on Friday just gone, $125. I have private health insurance, (am a permanent resident, so this is just for info) and subsequently my health fund shelled out for $85 of that and I paid $40.

Advertisement