Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open - Selections & In-Play Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Rory takes an early lead, looking ominous!

His confidence will be up and he should push on from here.

How about the guy who got to play in the pro am with him? Would be class but lucky he was an 8 handicapper, if it was me 20.4 handicapper:eek: there would be some insurance claims from spectators around the course!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just switched on to see McIlroy play that amazing approach shot to the 14th. Miles right off the tee, hooks a wedge 120yds right at the pin. Hate to say it, but it reminded you so much of what Tiger used to do. Didnt just get it back in play, he hit to about 15 feet. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Some shot alright. The kind of shot that seperates the Pros from us mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

My selections :

Lowry e/w @ 33-1
    Storm e/w @ 28-1 (aftet 12 holes played)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

nightmare finish from Rory, double at the last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    nightmare finish from Rory, double at the last

And only a par on 16th where birdie seems to be the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Some start for Cutler holing out on the 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

The claws are out on McIlroy's twitter...proper little cat fight between himself and Jay Townsend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

SSK wrote: »
    The claws are out on McIlroy's twitter...proper little cat fight between himself and Jay Townsend :D

noticed that - what happened rory with his course management?

And why is rory being so foolish as to get involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

whose Jay Townsend?

• Advertisement

american, does commentary for 5live in uk and other bits and bobs - working for rte this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Just switched on to see McIlroy play that amazing approach shot to the 14th. Miles right off the tee, hooks a wedge 120yds right at the pin. Hate to say it, but it reminded you so much of what Tiger used to do. Didnt just get it back in play, he hit to about 15 feet. Class.

best shot of the day may even be best of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What a poor field of players. Don't give me the Major thing, it is a poor field.

yep outside of the Irish stars its pretty thin. Only a half dozen inside the top 100 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Money talks I guess,

It is not a bad prize fund, but would be in the bottom third in ranking, bottom third, you get the bottom third, fair play to the Irish lads playing, I'd say it being played (where ever it is on), would not be good for travelling to, these guys play golf every week and most don't do awkward.

If only we could get the week before the British Open and play it in portmarnock, portrush or any links.

We'd have a savage field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

durkadurka wrote: »
    If only we could get the week before the British Open and play it in portmarnock, portrush or any links.

We'd have a savage field.
    Not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Here
    McIlroy later shared a bitter exchange on Twitter with American Jay Townsend, a former European Tour player who now works for BBC radio.

Townsend tweeted: "McIlroy's course management was shocking. Some of the worst course management I have ever seen beyond under-10 boys' golf competition."

McIlroy quickly replied: "Shut up ... you're a commentator and a failed golfer, your opinion means nothing!"

McIlroy should stay away from this kind of stupid/needless carry-on :(

defo, it was notable how silent he was on twitter when he was winning the us open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

PH +2

• Advertisement

can you pay at gates for adult and child tomorrow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Here

I do think McIlroy will change his caddie soon enough.

The current leader has a female cadding for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

can you pay at gates for adult and child tomorrow??

Yes Adult = €30, Kid under 16 = €0 once accompanied by an adult

ssbob wrote: »
    Yes Adult = €30, Kid under 16 = €0 once accompanied by an adult

perfect thanks million

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The new putting stroke seems to be working well for Harro. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Yeah maybe but I think Jay Townsend is a bit of a prat tbh. No need for Rory to get involved but if he feels the need to defend his caddy then so be it.

As for Townsend's comments about him hiring Steve Williams...the same Steve Williams who for most of his tenure with Tiger allowed Tiger to carve driver after driver into forest after forest. Yeah, a great course manager he is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

great to see Michael Campbell playing well today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Can't believe McIlroy is getting involved with a commentator on Twitter :rolleyes: Townsend is paid to comment, why take it to heart! Just as well he doesn't have an accoutn on here :D I'm sure he didn't mind getting the plaudits from failed golfers when he won the U.S Open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Fair play to McIlroy for having a go at Townsend .. Townsend was being a smart arse making smart arse comments .. Only right he got a smart arse reply and put in his place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

I'd imagine play will start around 8ish,the last groups normally tee-off around 1

last groups tee off at 1215 i would say its usually an hour and 20 mins before tv comes on

Advertisement