Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open - Selections & In-Play Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Vanbis wrote: »
    I do think McIlroy will change his caddie soon enough.

The current leader has a female cadding for him.

he will never change caddie best of friends and drinking budds BUT WILL NEVER change caddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

it is a terrible field if rory and gmac didnt turn up then i could see it not being played next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aidric wrote: »
    The new putting stroke seems to be working well for Harro. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be like you to get a dig in :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    jjll wrote: »
    it is a terrible field if rory and gmac didnt turn up then i could see it not being played next year

Yes, I'm sure they'd cancel it just because those two didn't turn up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'm sure Townsend could play a bit, i recall him being well in contention in the first European open at the k club. Langer won i think. I guess if you dont win a major you're a failed golfer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

TBH Townsend is a terrible commentator imo and Denis Hutchinson would put you to fckuckin sleep with his south ifrickin drawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

k.p.h wrote: »
    Fair play to McIlroy for having a go at Townsend .. Townsend was being a smart arse making smart arse comments .. Only right he got a smart arse reply and put in his place ;)

McIroy needs to avoid this sort of argument. He needs to concentrate on his golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

greendom wrote: »
    McIroy needs to avoid this sort of argument. He needs to concentrate on his golf

Ah I only half meant that .. But yeah he should probably learn not to react to the bait .... hopefully he doesn't turn into a robot like some other sports starts though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Anyone know the best live blog to follow the golf on?? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

PH is now +4 & down near the end of the field - very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Sad indeed.

I'm debating with myself weather to tune in and watch, it will be tru my fingers if I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Harrington needs to change something very soon to halt this slide to mediocrity. Not anything technical, he needs more fundamental change than that. He needs to change his coach, team, caddie, approach....something, maybe everything. The road he is going down clearly isn't working.

His long game stinks (trying to hit it too hard probably) and he tends to go after too many pins (which hurts his iron play and puts his short game under too much pressure). Fairways hit and Greens in Reg stats are very poor. Scrambling isn't great either.

He is probably just guilty of trying to hard and being overly analytical on the course. I hope he turns it around but not confident of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Looks like under par is required to make the cut maybe level sneaking in.

Singh level for that day.

PH looks like a weekend on the range again. Mentally his game is gone. Appears to me has so much flying around his head when over the ball he hasn't a clue where or which way he wants to hit the ball.

He really needs to get rid of his whole team and start again fresh and just grip it and rip it but I don't think he can do that with his mental state

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I think if PH does not pull it back and make the cut it will represent an all time low, sure he has had other bad results and so on but to miss the cut in an Irish open would be savage. I've said it before on here I wish he would shut the f**k up, I'm sick to my bag hearing him blab on about being close and finding trigger words and new putting blah, blah, blah. I'm going to stop reading interviews and quotes by him, I'm not giving up hope for him but don't want to hear his sh1t anymore.....sick of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

thebison wrote: »
    Anyone know the best live blog to follow the golf on?? Cheers
    Watchable.

http://nwxyz3.blogspot.com/p/channel-2.html

A double on the Par 3 6th didn't help matters.

Lowry having a shocker also, +6 for the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

PRAF wrote: »
    Harrington needs to change something very soon to halt this slide to mediocrity. Not anything technical, he needs more fundamental change than that. He needs to change his coach, team, caddie, approach....something, maybe everything. The road he is going down clearly isn't working.

His long game stinks (trying to hit it too hard probably) and he tends to go after too many pins (which hurts his iron play and puts his short game under too much pressure). Fairways hit and Greens in Reg stats are very poor. Scrambling isn't great either.

He is probably just guilty of trying to hard and being overly analytical on the course. I hope he turns it around but not confident of it

Agreed PRAF,
    Its his 'accountant' head i believe is the problem. tweaking this/that 15 swing changes over the winter.
    He is definately on the road to nowhere.
    win 3 majors then decide I need to change everything,why in the name of God.
    Caddie def needs to go, but thats his brother in law so i dont know.Think stevie williams would be a good strong personality for him.
    What worried me most about him after seeing him in Killarney last year was his general physique, he looked gaunt and underweight if you ask me. the only healthy looking part was his forearms.
    I like the guy, not as talented as others but has a great will to get the ball in the hole, but clearing the decks including bob torrance may be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

Does anybody know if I just turn up in Killarney in the morning (Saturday)will I be just able to pay a entrance fee at the gate to get in?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Michael Campbell is on the comeback trail!!!!

cmon cambo!!

I took some serious grief a year ago for suggesting that campbell was more than just a hacker. They were people on here suggesting that he shouldnt be allowed on the tour.....

Think he has made 7/8 cuts this year and is currently -5 and tied second in Killarney.

Just birdied the 8th so back to +3. Hopefully he just goes for it now and forgets all this rubbish about triggers, mental keys etc. Paralysis by analysis.

He's good enough to shoot 30 on the back nine if he just gets out of his own way.

McGrane putting together a very tidy round, -5 and tied second.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if I just turn up in Killarney in the morning (Saturday)will I be just able to pay a entrance fee at the gate to get in?:confused:

yes €30 snots

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You should be able to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster van's on site.

thehunter wrote: »
    Agreed PRAF,
    Its his 'accountant' head i believe is the problem. tweaking this/that 15 swing changes over the winter.
    He is definately on the road to nowhere.
    win 3 majors then decide I need to change everything,why in the name of God.
    Caddie def needs to go, but thats his brother in law so i dont know.Think stevie williams would be a good strong personality for him.
    What worried me most about him after seeing him in Killarney last year was his general physique, he looked gaunt and underweight if you ask me. the only healthy looking part was his forearms.
    I like the guy, not as talented as others but has a great will to get the ball in the hole, but clearing the decks including bob torrance may be the way to go.
    Yeah sacking the brother in law could cause a family feud. At the end of the day, it is his career on the line though. Luke Donald sacked his own brother and has gone from strength to strength since then.

Not sure if Steve Williams would be the way to go. Maybe Bob Rotella could carry the clubs for him! Either that or someone who could lighten him up a bit, does Pat Shortt know anything about golf :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

McGrane putting together a very tidy round, -5 and tied second.

Birdies on 7,8 and 9 on both days :eek:

Don't know what to say about Harrington, I'd agree with whoever said that missing the cut here would represent probably the low point in his career. His home tournament, on a course he played well on last year, with such a mediocre field, very disappointing :(

On a more positive note, its great to see the Irish club pros and amateurs competing so well this week and in the main not propping up the field as is usually the case where a lot of home players play in a particular tournament.

Sweet Jesus. Harrington misses a par putt from a couple of feet on the par 3 10th, +4 now.

On the flipside McGrane knocks in his birdie putt on the same green to go second on his own at -6.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sweet Jesus. Harrington misses a par putt from a couple of feet on the par 3 10th, +4 now.

On the flipside McGrane knocks in his birdie putt on the same green to go second on his own at -6.
    His whole game really is gone bad. Some player's struggle with certain aspects but his all round game is gone. Very sad to see :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

You should be able to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster van's on site.
    Cheers - any idea what time you would need to get there in order to get a ticket??

Cheers - any idea what time you would need to get there in order to get a ticket??
    Probably as early as you can. I'd say first out will be around 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'd say there will be lads on the way in taking cash for tickets no probs.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I'd say there will be lads on the way in taking cash for tickets no probs.

yes €30 snots, cash always works in Kerry;)

Advertisement