Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open - Selections & In-Play Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

Lowry also having a mare.
    mcginley looks like he's for an early bath as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

sad really to see people STILL going on about Harrington

Move on people for crying out loud...he's a useless player now...end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Clarke sliding towards the cut now too, think his self inflicted manflu is getting the better of him.

Great round from McGrane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Sad to see Harrington being dismissed in such a fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I certenly haven't dismissed him I'm just sick of listening to him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

gary29428 wrote: »
    I certenly haven't dismissed him I'm just sick of listening to him....

i agree with that. Sick of listening to him say how good he is hitting it and how close he is to being back playing really well again.
    He has been briving terrible for the last 2 years and with all the changes he has gone through it certainly hasnt improved.
    While i would say a player should alwys talk positively i think it is time Harrington was honest in his interviews and just say he is playing terrible. i also think its time to give his brother in law the P45.

Whats the story with Lowry?
    he on a quest to finish last?didnt like his attitude last year in Killarney after listening to an outburst of language from him on the 6th tee after pushing his tee shot right. There was loads of kids around.
    Have to say Ross Fisher behaved like a true gentleman last year and i for one was delighted he won. If no Irish man wins Id be delighted for Fisher to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

i agree with that. Sick of listening to him say how good he is hitting it and how close he is to being back playing really well again.
    He has been briving terrible for the last 2 years and with all the changes he has gone through it certainly hasnt improved.
    While i would say a player should alwys talk positively i think it is time Harrington was honest in his interviews and just say he is playing terrible. i also think its time to give his brother in law the P45.

I was in Killarney yesterday and watched Harrington closely on the driving range, his ball striking was awesome, he hit about 60-70 balls and every one of them were straight and long, then he gets up on the first and yanks one left, nothing in the range showed a possibility of this happening he was awesome so I agree with his comments, he is striking the ball great but its in his head at this stage or just cant carry it onto the course. In relation to sacking Ronan yeah a change might be good for him but that said he only wants someone giving him a yardage, he doesnt take direction off them from what I saw so doesnt really matter who he has on bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

thehunter wrote: »
    Whats the story with Lowry?
    he on a quest to finish last?didnt like his attitude last year in Killarney after listening to an outburst of language from him on the 6th tee after pushing his tee shot right. There was loads of kids around.
    Have to say Ross Fisher behaved like a true gentleman last year and i for one was delighted he won. If no Irish man wins Id be delighted for Fisher to do it again

Lowry has always been a bit streaky. Poor showing though for the 2 Irishmen to have won it in the last 30 years missing the cut by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I was in Killarney yesterday and watched Harrington closely on the driving range, his ball striking was awesome, he hit about 60-70 balls and every one of them were straight and long, then he gets up on the first and yanks one left, nothing in the range showed a possibility of this happening he was awesome so I agree with his comments, he is striking the ball great but its in his head at this stage or just cant carry it onto the course. In relation to sacking Ronan yeah a change might be good for him but that said he only wants someone giving him a yardage, he doesnt take direction off them from what I saw so doesnt really matter who he has on bag

His driving accuarcy was very good yesterday, greens in regulation was a disaster :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rehssu

Paul Cutler putting on a serious display. This guy is Norn Irons next superstar.

Can he repeat Lowry's '09 amateur win??

Would love to see him get his pro card for next year.

BUACHAILL wrote: »

Fair enough i havent seen him hitting balls since last years Irish Open. He needs to get all those technical thoughts out of his head before he head to the 1st tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Like a lot of people who admire what he has achieved in the game, I'd love to see Paddy trying out a new caddy.
    But Paddy knows best, maybe his caddy is doing a great job, the problem may be elsewhere.
    I'd like to think Ronan would step aside though if he feels that a fresh approach might help Paddy. It shouldn't have to be acriminonous in any way.

It's unusual for a golfer to have the same caddy for so long, isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I know makes no sense at all, he hit everything from wedges to driver ( Taylormade burner) which suprised me and everything looked so relaxed and easy, then soon as he steps up on first tee he is all over the place, although made a savage par from where he was after his tee shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

What's more depressing than some high profile Irish golfers not playing well is the poor turnout from some of Europe's best. Instead of it being a who's-who of European & World golf it's a case of who's-that? !! I guess the Celtic Tiger's influence has dried up.
    Back on topuc: could we get another NI winner, and another Amateur winner, Paul Cutler ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Like a lot of people who admire what he has achieved in the game, I'd love to see him trying out a new caddy.
    But Paddy knows best, maybe his caddy is doing a great job, the problem may be elsewhere.
    I'd like to think Ronan would step aside though if he feels that a fresh approach might help Paddy. It shouldn't have to be acriminonous in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

MungoMan wrote: »
    ?

Let's think about that one, Hmmm, will I leave behind a few hundred grand year and go back to the bank? There's only one way he's going and it isn't of his own free will.

Should have happened a long time ago unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

What's more depressing than some high profile Irish golfers not playing well is the poor turnout from some of Europe's best. Instead of it being a who's-who of European & World golf it's a case of who's-that? !! I guess the Celtic Tiger's influence has dried up.

Just a sign of the times I'm afraid, the top golfers will only bother themselves with the majors, WCG events and then can pick and choose a few others to suit their schedules. Irish Open just doesnt have the pull it once had but to be honest I'm just glad in this economic climate that we have a tournament at all!

Like a lot of people who admire what he has achieved in the game, I'd love to see him trying out a new caddy.

Someone said last week that players usually have a caddy for 5 years. Cant see that being true. Obviously you have your long relationships (Mickelson & Furyk) your short relationships (Clarke changed his about 3/4 times in a year) i would have said 3 years myself. Kaymer had Craig Connelly for a year before he got rid of him even though they won 3 tournaments together :rolleyes:

f22 wrote: »
    Let's think about that one, Hmmm, will I leave behind a few hundred grand year and go back to the bank? There's only one way he's going and it isn't of his own free will.

Should have happened a long time ago unfortunately.

im sure he could get a job with another player. He centainly has a great C.V anyway.

• Advertisement

Someone said last week that players usually have a caddy for 5 years. Cant see that being true. Obviously you have your long relationships (Mickelson & Furyk) your short relationships (Clarke changed his about 3/4 times in a year) i would have said 3 years myself. Kaymer had Craig Connelly for a year before he got rid of him even though they won 3 tournaments together :rolleyes:

Its like us playing with the same guys at your club each sat or sun week in week out.
    often playing with new guys who you havent met before, the focus seems to be better trying not to make a langer of yourself in front of someone new:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don't think Paddy knows best at the moment. I think PH is clueless at the moment.

The old saying is never mix family with work comes to mind

clarke bogeys last to drop 1 outside cut....
    interesting to see will rory make the cut now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

Guinness supplies will be low in Killarney tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A 77 from Michael Campbell has him drop to +1. Pity after a good first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Anyone have a link to a live stream? Sky only had coverage from 10.00 - 1.00pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Vanbis wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a live stream? Sky only had coverage from 10.00 - 1.00pm

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/41235/2/golf---the-irish-open.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Trampas wrote: »
    Guinness supplies will be low in Killarney tomorrow

or go up if he hangs around!!

Shame to see so many "from this island" missing the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

cambo has a mare and looks like missing cut....I must have put the mockers on him!!!!

• Advertisement

I wonder are they travelling together?;)
    Rory now also outside the cut.
    if he misses out as well id say the crowds will be way down at weekend

Advertisement