Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open - Selections & In-Play Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

hi guys i hope its not held against me but i knew rory had no chance i did ross fisher at 8/1 after first bird he picked up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The RTE commentators really are boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The RTE commentators really are boring.
    Sky arent much better today to be honest ,they all sound hungover.
    Was down there yesterday and was looking forward to watching it on tv today but so far its been a damp squib .
    The crowd seems dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What is it with the Irish Open and all the kids shouting "ball ball ball ball" as the players finish?! Really annoying.

fisher has gone really thought he would have pushed on after 2 birds in a row

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sky arent much better today to be honest ,they all sound hungover.
    Was down there yesterday and was looking forward to watching it on tv today but so far its been a damp squib .
    The crowd seems dead.
    Ya I was there too yesterday. Maybe because none of the bigger names are not in contention most people are not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is there a reason why the Rte commentators are all british or American?

Ya I was there too yesterday. Maybe because none of the bigger names are not in contention most people are not interested.
    True,I'd say 90% of the crowd was following McDowell and McIlroy yesterday .
    Once the rain came and the 2 boys finished there was a very small crowd left on the course for the last 2.5 hours of play.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the Rte commentators are all british or American?
    I'm pretty sure that RTE just use the international commentary feed that goes out worldwide.
    They cover every European tour event.
    Hence the cliched commentary of the friendly Irish,huge crowds,guinness,blah blah.
    Con Murphy is RTE's only real commentator there.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yes, the RTE commentators are really boring. They seem incapable of injecting a bit of cutting edge analysis or interesting anecdotes. All they seem to be doing is going through the motions. They do most sports well in fairness, but not golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

fullstop wrote: »
    What is it with the Irish Open and all the kids shouting "ball ball ball ball" as the players finish?! Really annoying.

Was there on Thurs and Fri. Kids diving onto the green and going nuts trying to grab whatever the players threw at them. Marshals standing around looking at them thought it was great craic. Wouldn’t be surprised if some kid broke an arm or something.

In general felt the standard of marshalling was poor at the event.

Tin_Cup wrote: »

In general felt the standard of marshalling was poor at the event.
    Didnt see any problems like that .
    Crowd were able to get fairly close to the action,ropes aren't too far back from the fairway unlike other events I've attended.
    I got good views of the players teeing off on tee boxes as there weren't too many vips and hangerson inside the ropes.
    Does my head in that,you have a good view on a teebox to watch the players and a group of plebs just stand right in front of you .
    Hardly saw any of that yesterday ,even on the big groups ,which is the way it should be.

Glad to hear it improved at the weekend. Happened a few times to us that we would be waiting for the big name groups to come through then would have a load of spectators standing inside the ropes in front of us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fullstop wrote: »

Yes, very " ball, ball, ball " , will sell them after. I did this as a kid but not at green.

Also some of the ropes and fans far too close to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Zardoz wrote: »
    True,I'd say 90% of the crowd was following McDowell and McIlroy yesterday .
    Once the rain came and the 2 boys finished there was a very small crowd left on the course for the last 2.5 hours of play.

The rain killed it yesterday alright. Mass exodus around quarter to 4 and I was one of them, but only because I had a 3 hour drive home. There was a lot of golfer 'newbies' down there in fairness, only interested in seeing Rory and Gmac. It's good for the tournament I suppose, but jaysus it's annoying to have to listen to the s**te they were talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dyson & Green really playing some super golf, Dyson in particular is smoking those irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The rain killed it yesterday alright. Mass exodus around quarter to 4 and I was one of them, but only because I had a 3 hour drive home. There was a lot of golfer 'newbies' down there in fairness, only interested in seeing Rory and Gmac. It's good for the tournament I suppose, but jaysus it's annoying to have to listen to the s**te they were talking.

No harm, a bit of cash, or maybe freebees ? Not a great atmos,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shame for Green on the last but a poor second cost him. Take nothing away from Dyson who swung it magnificently all day. He just said in his interview that that's the best he's ever swung it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

just caught the end of the golf there and was shocked with Green's first putt. He just must have had a rush of blood to the head.
    Happy with Dyson winning. He is a really good player but needs to kick on now and become consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Well done to Dyson, nicely played. Was rooting for Richard Green as a fellow lefty, but not to be. And here's hoping for a new sponsor and an influx of money and player power for next year's Irish Open.

• Advertisement

Well done to Dyson, nicely played. Was rooting for Richard Green as a fellow lefty, but not to be. And here's hoping for a new sponsor and an influx of money and player power for next year's Irish Open.
    I cant see the field improving that much to be honest due to the timing of the event.
    The Greenbrier Classic is on this weekend in the US,and it too has a very poor field despite a purse of $6m.
    Most of the big names seem to take the week off to prepare for Firestone .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've got Dyson @27/1 :)

Get in the hole!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

nice, had dyson @ 22/1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Ya a new sponsor is needed, but the only was we will see a better field next year will be if they get a better date on the calender. Either a week in between the U.S and British Opens or the week after the British.
    Think they said the attendance over the week was 85,000 people. You can only imagine the crowds if any of the big four were in contention come Sunday.

cant see a sponsor next year only way if european tour waive the fee to sponsor tourny

jjll wrote: »
    cant see a sponsor next year only way if european tour waive the fee to sponsor tourny

They already announced that they have a new sposor lined up but it was too late this year to have them involved. George O'Grady mentioned it at press conference launching this years event

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    They already announced that they have a new sposor lined up but it was too late this year to have them involved. George O'Grady mentioned it at press conference launching this years event

has to be bmw cant see too many others interested and sky said attendene was over 100,000 including weds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Is mcilroy and the boys playing in the bridgestone invitational next week or waiting til the PGA the following week? Or both? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The 'big four' from Ireland all playing firestone. And tiger btw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

durkadurka wrote: »
    The 'big four' from Ireland all playing firestone. And tiger btw!

Seen that, guess theyre all playing the following wknd too so in the PGA as its the last major of the year, nice one :D

Advertisement