Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spooks Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Awesome - I think it will be the last season. (This one being lucky to be made at all)
    Any idea when it begins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It needs to be the last series, I love it but I'd sooner it went out before I feel the need to show it the door!

I imagine it'll be starting first week of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Really looking forward to this.

The tenth series will consist of six episodes and will start broadcast sometime in the Autumn 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooks_(series_10)

mike65 wrote: »
    It needs to be the last series, I love it but I'd sooner it went out before I feel the need to show it the door!
    I've read somewhere that it will be.
    The tenth was even lucky to be made. They will be wrapping up some longer arcs while introducing brief story-lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

FFS cant believe this crap is still on, used to watch it years ago, had some of the worst acting I've ever seen though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3745215/Spooks-killed-off-after-10-years.html

The final series will focus on the past of lead character Harry Pearce (Peter Firth) and his relationship with fellow agent Ruth Evershed (Nicola Walker). Former stars, who include Matthew Macfadyen and Keeley Hawes, could also return for the final six episodes.

RTE Two is showing what I believe is series 8 on Thursday night/Friday morning.
    Episode 2 of 8 is on at 3.20am tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this used to be good but when they got rid of Keeley Hawes it went downhill

Six episodes for the final season is a terrible :mad:

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Six episodes for the final season is a terrible :mad:
    True but at least they will get a chance of closure to some story arcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Biggins wrote: »
    Any idea when it begins?
    Sunday, 18th September apparently.

DeepBlue wrote: »

@ 9.00pm

BBC sets up Spooks v Downton Abbey battle

Final series of spy thriller scheduled against ITV1 period drama on Sunday 18 September

A Sunday night "bonnets versus bugs" battle is brewing after the BBC scheduled the final series of spy drama Spooks against ITV1's hit Downton Abbey.

It could be a high-risk move for the BBC1 controller, Danny Cohen, who has said he does not want to get drawn into competitive scheduling wars.

Spooks, which is being killed off after a decade on BBC1, has previously run on a weekday, typically on a Monday, where it pulled in around 6 million viewers.

However the BBC said it wanted to make the final series of Spooks a "special event" for viewers by airing it in the prestigious Sunday night 9pm slot on 18 September.

ITV1 had already declared that was the night the second series of Downton Abbey would be airing.

The news comes despite Cohen saying he will once again ensure that the new series of Strictly Come Dancing does not clash with The X Factor, explaining recently: "I'm not massively interested whether we beat it or not."

But slots for dramas have become more limited after successful ITV1 drama Doc Martin was moved recently to Monday nights – the night Spooks would usually have aired.

A BBC spokesman said: "Downton and Spooks are very different shows and offer a real alternative for audiences. This is the last ever series of Spooks and we wanted to celebrate this and make it a special event for viewers in the Sunday 9pm slot.

"It is not unusual for drama to go up against drama here, for example, David Tennant's Single Father did last year and ITV's Vera was up against BBC1's Exile earlier this year."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/07/bbc-spooks-downton-abbey

A bit of a silly article by the Guardian.
    It's not as if people haven't got a myriad of recording or download options these days so who cares if it's "up against" another programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bumping this for tonight.

Starts @ 2100 BBC1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As a lover of spy novels, Loved the Cold War, Berlin stuff but could see the ending a mile away! Next week looks excellent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

'What I'm about to tell you goes above all of your security clearances!'
    The Ruskies
    High level security breach
    What was that at the start, 'motion analysis detector'? lol
    Head Office sponsored by Apple

Spooks is back. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That walk analyser thing was hokum (maybe), but otherwise it was a really good episode. I wonder if Sasha knows who daddy is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Great to have it back and will be very sad to see it go.

Spooks was always far better when dealing with Cold War legacy stuff than terrorist attacks storylines.

Not a huge amount of action last night but the episode was so well written and so well acted that it didn't need it. I hope Harry doesn't get killed off but knowing Spooks and the way they had no compunction in killing off its main characters, I wouldn't be too optimistic...

Also interesting for geeks that the iPad2, Archos 7 AND Galaxy Tab all got airtime...:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Really enjoyed the season opener, though agree, I guessed the ending - it was well telegraphed.

Disappointed there's only 6 episodes in this final season. Fully expect entire cast to be dead by the end of it, in true Spooks tradition.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Great show again tonight ,this season is really building nicely to a crescendo.
    In the words of blackadder "more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing."
    I'm starting to think the writers may give Harry a passport and bag of money instead of a bullet , which they did with Keeley Hawes (I think they sent her to Chile ?)
    I think it'd be a more fitting end than a bullet / self sacrifice type situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FFS ,
    they killed off Tariq. I suppose it's tradition, but I'd much rather if it had been someone else.

Otherwise, intriguing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I found seasons 8/9 a bit tiresome. Anything with Lucas North seemed to stretch out. I suppose it is time to end it. Tbh you cant have spooks without harry, and if the actor wants to do something else, then its good it is rolling up.

As much as I miss the West Wing, would I want to watch it with anyone else other than Jed Bartlet as President? No. Same goes for Spooks.

I have not seen any of the episodes yet, so Ill have a couple to line up when I get back home(im away on business).

Tariq was no Malcolm, but it's a pity they killed him off. Don't think Erin will survive the season, anyone with a kid is probably more vulnerable. This one felt a little slower, but I'm OK with that, don't think there was as much computer nonsense, either.

Missed episode 3, any good?

Missed episode 3, any good?

Repeated tonight 11.35 BBC1 Northern Ireland

Thoughts on 4, which just finished.

Tonight it was mission of the week affair. Although it had most of the usual ingredients you'd expect from Spooks, it was a bit lack lustre and didn't really have the energy of a typical episode. Would have preferred if they concentrated on the Russian angle in more detail rather than the Jihad stuff. Erin looks terrible with a gun, btw.

Also, is there any character development outside of Ruth and Harry? I like them, though.

Yeah, standard enough alright.
    Next week looks more interesting though!
    Looks like its heading towards a fullblown MI6 vs. CIA scrap for the finale.

• Advertisement

Yeah, next week's looks good alright.

Forgot to give kudos to the good performance from the poor chap who was killed in tonight's episode, the guy with the daughter. He brought it up a notch or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Really enjoying the last series. Spotted Sir Harry on O' Connell St yesterday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

rednik wrote: »
    Really enjoying the last series. Spotted Sir Harry on O' Connell St yesterday afternoon.
    You should have ran over and shouted KGB with your hand shaped like a Gun.:P

Well that was pretty damn good television. Next weeks looks brilliant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Great episode, but I've seen better explosions on Smallville (that's not a good thing).

Can't wait to see how it all ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Be warned folks = our chorus/ntl box made a mess of recording tonight episode so unwatchable. It is repeated tomorrow on BBC1 around 11 pm.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Well that was pretty damn good television. Next weeks looks brilliant.
    Yep, there was more action in the first 20 minutes than in most full episodes of Spooks. They've saved the budget for the final episodes and, judging by the preview, found some more dosh down the back of the sofa to go out with a bang. :D

Still I can't see a happy ending for Harry and Ruth.......:(

Matthew Macfadyen will reprise his role as Tom Quinn in the finale of Spooks

Missed about 35 minutes of last night's episode. Started to look like the end of Harry there for a bit. Wonder what he has kept in reserve on that tape. Sacha has a fairly iffy Russian accent, but they're almost always like that!

The trailer makes the finale look suitably bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Quick off topic fyi. The production company behind Spooks are going to be doing a murder series for next autumn called May Day. It's about a murder in a south coast village with loads of wickerman/green man type of stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Missed about 35 minutes of last night's episode. Started to look like the end of Harry there for a bit. Wonder what he has kept in reserve on that tape. Sacha has a fairly iffy Russian accent, but they're almost always like that!

The trailer makes the finale look suitably bonkers.

He'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Last ep on shortly...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Not bad , I would have traded the scene with harry and ruth where she got stabbed being shorter for more of Tom (as an independent contractor) dealing with the Russian conspirators.

A shame , not the strongest episode , but some nice nods to Ros Myers and a few other deceased colleagues.

No need for spoiler tags here...

I thought it was a pretty standard episode, but the climax and epilogue were excellent. Really great acting from Firth and Walker during their last scene together. The scene in the garden of remembrance was a nice touch, but Tom's scene was utterly pointless and added nothing (other than a nod to the people who have watched Spooks since the start).

I'll definitely miss it, but I wouldn't bet against the beeb bringing it back in 2 or 3 years for another run.

A really good episode and finale for that matter. Proof that all you need for something to work is a good script, good actors and a room with some chairs and a table. Take the foot off the accelerator re the guns and bombs stuff and all the double crossing stuff, well, that's been SOP for Spooks for ages. Gutted for Harry, but things were never going to work out for him, it's just not within the Spooks universe for that to happen. He really does belong in that chair. Nice little nod to the fallen with the memorial wall. Agreed Tom's scene was pretty pointless. A shame about Ruth, she was a good character and a nice counterweight to Harry's emotional state as of late - good little scene when she called Elena a fanatic.

Some of this sort of mirrors the UK/Russian relationship in real life a bit, doesn't it? Frosty relations since the guy was poisoned a few years ago.

I enjoyed series 10 and the final episode.

However the episode starts with Harry on his way to the Airdrome but finishes with him behind his desk. Surely the Yanks still want him.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. That angle was dropped pretty quickly, but that's Spooks for ya. :)

brian_t wrote: »
    I enjoyed series 10 and the final episode.

However the episode starts with Harry on his way to the Airdrome but finishes with him behind his desk. Surely the Yanks still want him.

The Yanks are probably back in favour again after that unsavoury business, so Harry gets a pass!

Thought it was pretty good, loved the nearly quadruple agent thing going on, you just couldn't trust anybody, well scripted, as good as any LeCarre stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Yanks' security was pretty poor, though, letting Harry escape. Even Dana's husband was able to drive with a flat tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I dunno. I'll always enjoy Spooks, but thought the final episode was a bit daft. The whole interrogating Ilena Gavrik while her son and husband just happened to watch on through one-way windows was a bit too much. At times it seemed a tad too soap-operatic. Still enjoyed it though!

Mr E wrote: »
    No need for spoiler tags here...

I thought it was a pretty standard episode, but the climax and epilogue were excellent. Really great acting from Firth and Walker during their last scene together. The scene in the garden of remembrance was a nice touch, but Tom's scene was utterly pointless and added nothing (other than a nod to the people who have watched Spooks since the start).

I'll definitely miss it, but I wouldn't bet against the beeb bringing it back in 2 or 3 years for another run.

Surprised at the scene with Tom in it - a sudden jolt to remind those that even characters that they thought were out of the game, were actually still in it!
    (I think it was to point out that some things even now, are still not what they seem or have seemed!)
    Even as the series ended, there was still secrets to be uncovered within their own agency amid their own staff!
    The knowledge in Harry's mind would make some book some day! :pac:

...But of course we know that he will do the honorable thing, for King and country and take it all to his grave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement