Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spooks Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Sad to see Spooks go, but I felt it was a shadow of its former self in the last five years.

I was obsessed with Spooks back in the good old deep fat fryer days, when the show centred on how the spooks managed to combine work with private lives. When you actually got to know Tom, Danny and Zoe and cared about what happened to them. When Howard Brenton was writing the most fantastic scripts that had you on the edge of your seat with tension and then falling off it with laughter.

But as the cast (and writers) gradually left I cared less and less about their replacements, in the end it was only Harry, Ruth and the various Home Secretaries that kept me tuning in. I squealed with glee to see the return of Tom Quinn though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love Spooks but have to agree, pry better it was killed then let it die off, glad they went with Harry back in the Office as the house plot seemed a bit off, glad he walked out.

Great to See Tom back if only for a second, I hadn't heard any spoilers so didn't know he was coming back at all but I knew it as soon as I heard his voice, epic, wish they had an extra minute or two with him.

I'm going to miss it though, great show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Only caught up on this now - great finale! Really enjoyed the constant twists and putting Harry rightly as the lead in this episode. Gutted when Ruth didn't make it. I kept expecting her to gasp awake but really it wouldn't have been in the spirit of the show. In the show's 10 seasons only one character has gotten away happily (Malcolm).
    Sad to see the show go and I think this season showed it can still be very strong. Better though to go out on a high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm not looking forwards to getting the (hopefully) eventual complete series boxset (hopefully in HD too) so that I can watch it all again from start to finish with the weekly gaps.

*crosses fingers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:(
    We're all entitled to our opinions.

This from John Le Carré back in September.
    Le Carré brands spy drama Spooks 'crap'

Author and former British agent says 'if you have lived in that world, you know that it is stupid'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/16/le-carre-spy-spooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    :(
    We're all entitled to our opinions.

This from John Le Carré back in September.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/16/le-carre-spy-spooks

One of the producers is a family friend and we had a chat about this article just a few weeks ago. The reason for this is very simple. Unlike a novel or to some extent a film, the story has to be wrapped up in a 47 minute episode with a story timeframe of just days or a few weeks. The real world is very different with a lot of nothing happening for ages and a lot of boring matters like trawling databases to get minor connections, cultivating contacts, slowly and undramatically building up to some sort of wrap up which would rarely work in a TV format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tricky D wrote: »
    One of the producers is a family friend and we had a chat about this article just a few weeks ago. The reason for this is very simple. Unlike a novel or to some extent a film, the story has to be wrapped up in a 47 minute episode with a story timeframe of just days or a few weeks. The real world is very different with a lot of nothing happening for ages and a lot of boring matters like trawling databases to get minor connections, cultivating contacts, slowly and undramatically building up to some sort of wrap up which would rarely work in a TV format.

Cramming everything into 47 minutes aside, the writers are also at a disadvantage because they don't know exactly how MI5 works, because for obvious reasons they're not going to find out, and can only guess.

Even though John Le Carré was in MI5 and MI6, I don't think that he can actually say how MI5 operates now, because he's been out of the "business" since the mid 60s. For all we know, Spooks might be an accurate portrayal of what happens now, as against what happened 50 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

tricky D wrote: »
    The real world is very different with a lot of nothing happening for ages and a lot of boring matters like trawling databases to get minor connections, cultivating contacts, slowly and undramatically building up to some sort of wrap up which would rarely work in a TV format.
    The Sandbaggers seemed to manage it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

His opinion, I enjoyed it because it was good drama, not my problem if its not "real" enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just watched the last episode. Who was Tom?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Character last seen in Series 3 Episode 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Quinn_(Spooks)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I know Im about 2 years too late but got a gift of season 9 and 10 of Spooks off my Godson for xmas and bday.
    So because Im a sad geek, I watched the entire series from 1 through to 10.
    I had missed out on season 10 (cannot remember exactly why) so I was in absolute shock when I got to the end.

Needless to say I was devastated. Its amazing to see how a show evolves over 10 years. the comings and goings of characters etc. Spooks was a show in which none of the characters, main or otherwise were safe. Except perhaps for Harry.

Why couldn't I get my happy ending :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SarahBM wrote: »
    I know Im about 2 years too late but got a gift of season 9 and 10 of Spooks off my Godson for xmas and bday.
    So because Im a sad geek, I watched the entire series from 1 through to 10.
    I had missed out on season 10 (cannot remember exactly why) so I was in absolute shock when I got to the end.

Needless to say I was devastated. Its amazing to see how a show evolves over 10 years. the comings and goings of characters etc. Spooks was a show in which none of the characters, main or otherwise were safe. Except perhaps for Harry.

Why couldn't I get my happy ending :'(

Funnily enough I watched most of it recently, one of those shows I missed too many episodes. Series 10 was brilliant, back to the quality of 1 and 2. I just found Adam boring after a while, probably because of how good Tom was and not a reflection on Adam. I liked Lucas, completely outlandish but hey, that's Spooks!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I was quiet fond of Adam and I always liked the relationship he had with Jo, as he had recruited her. Ros got on my nerves because she was just a walking b***h. But I will say that I dont like how things ended with Lucas. I understand why and all, but I would have liked to have seen him back for longer. Then again, what am I saying, its Spooks. I think the only person in the entire series who got a happy ending was Zoe (if you could call it that!)

I was sooooo happy when they brought Ruth back. Her and Harry were the heart and soul of the show. And Malcolm too, to a certain extent. :D

I still wish the ending had been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SarahBM wrote: »
    I was quiet fond of Adam and I always liked the relationship he had with Jo, as he had recruited her. Ros got on my nerves because she was just a walking b***h. But I will say that I dont like how things ended with Lucas. I understand why and all, but I would have liked to have seen him back for longer. Then again, what am I saying, its Spooks. I think the only person in the entire series who got a happy ending was Zoe (if you could call it that!)

Ros was too stereotypical and I agree on Adam, the ending was too convenient. One story the could have developed
    was Tom and the CIA liaison officer, I think they could have went further with that.
    I was sooooo happy when they brought Ruth back. Her and Harry were the heart and soul of the show. And Malcolm too, to a certain extent. :D

I still wish the ending had been different.

Malcolm leaving was brilliant TV, the boffin turned operative, and saying no thanks, the end justifies the means, but I want no part of it.

There never was going to be a happy ending, I hate them myself, but I think it was just in this particular TV series!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've been holding off on watching Seasons 9 & 10, partly because I've not had the time, partly because I know that after that, its the end. I also got frustrated with Lucas and his story line.

I liked Adam and I loved the way he was introduced to both the team and the viewers. I liked Tom, but god I hated Ellie. She was always moaning about something. I think the actress got typecast because after spooks she was on BT television adverts and she kept the same facial expression and kept on moaning.

And I agree with the above Ruth and Harry stole the show.

syklops wrote: »
    I've been holding off on watching Seasons 9 & 10, partly because I've not had the time, partly because I know that after that, its the end.
    And I agree with the above Ruth and Harry stole the show.

I so did not want it to be over. It was just such a great compelling show!

God love Harry!

Advertisement