Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backroad Clonlara to O'briensbridge

• 26-07-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Was out for a cycle this evening and had a route planned out from Clonlara to Ballina, Killaloe and then back to Clonlara. From Clonlara to O'Briensbridge i had looked at google maps and planned to ride along the minor ride that starts just outside Clonlara and runs all the way to O'briensbridge basically adjacent to R463. However there is a sign along this road that says 'private property' and 'no through road', so I turned back and didn't end up doing the route planned. Looking at google maps street view again, this does not appear to be no through road - there are a number of houses all along there. Also, at the other end in O'Briensbridge, you can see another sign for the same road that says 'cul de sac' although that sign is turned side on. Does anyone know what the story is with this road?

Cheers,
    mel.b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

ya i always passed that for months coming home from work never thought much of it till now always assumed it was a dead end i looked at google maps too there is a road lol the locals being a bit greedy with the road and threw up a sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Is that the opposite bank to main road OP? AFAIK it's just an ESB access road.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Its on the map so therefore it would suggest a right of way. Besides, esb being owned by the state (ie taxpayers pay the wages) would we not be entitled to use the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

golden8 wrote: »
    Its on the map so therefore it would suggest a right of way. Besides, esb being owned by the state (ie taxpayers pay the wages) would we not be entitled to use the road.

Not necessarily.
    Are you entitled to enter all state owned buildings because "you" pay the wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That's like saying we should be free to use the grounds of the council offices for a kickabout since it's owned by the State... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

From what i could see on google street view there were houses along there, which would suggest it's not just an esb access road:confused:

Just looking a bit more on street view and can see three signs saying 'private property, cul de sac' and they have the esb logo in the bottom right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Just putting it out there. :)

There are houses on the road, if I can remember its a dirt track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

From street view it's not a dirt track but it does get a bit narrow and have grass in the middle along parts of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

The ESB is only partly owned by the state, its a company in its own right and generally access to anything the ESB owns is severely restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

I have driven this road many times on a tractor,dirt bike and in the Land Rover,even cycled it this year,mostly the people on the Clonlara side dont want anyone using it to prevent anti social behavour,Keep it open i say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement