Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or this behaviour not on??

Options
  • 26-07-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I got a text message on my phone about an hour ago from an unknown number saying 'hey sexy chic, how are you?'. I immediately panicked a bit and showed it to my oh (who I have recently moved in with), wondering if it was someone I know or just a wrong number. After a few minutes of debating whether to text back asking who it was, my oh started laughing and admitted it was him that had sent it (using our 3 broadband wifi modem). Of course, I was fairly pissed off and told him so. He said he just 'wanted to see my reaction' and that it was only for a laugh. It seems to me like very jealous suspicious behaviour (which he has never shown before)..... I mean, texting me something like that to see what my reaction would be?? Am I right to be angry or am I just overreacting??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Twas a bit childish if dont to "test" you but maybe it was done just for a laugh as he said.

Either way,if its pissed you off,just tell him you didnt appreciate it however I would say dont make a big deal out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Over reacting. It doesn't sound jealous or suspicious, it sounds like he was messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

You are seriously over reacting if this is his first offense. It was a joke!!!

You're over-reacting

It's just that he knows I'm touchy about that sort of thing anyway cos I had a problem with an ex who texted me incessantly to the point where I had to go to the guards to stop him. He says he only wanted to see my reaction but how did he think I'd react like?? and what f I had just assumed it was a wrong number and not told him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭coolcat63

Lighten up! It was meant as a joke and rather cute :) Why would you panic...unless you have something to panic about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

I'm with you OP. Its deceitful, calculated and indicates a weird attitude towards control on the part of your boyfriend. I'd let him know my annoyance with it, and if he does anything like this again, I'd be running for the hills...control freakery is something to be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

whats he like in general?

if he is the jokey time then its ok but it was a test id be annoyed alright. Hints at control issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sarahinnavan

It sounds to me like he was having a laugh. I wouldn't take it seriously. I'm afraid that it sounds like you are overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i can see how it would annoy you, especially if you felt it was a test. however, it seems you let him know it wasn't appreciated so now just move on. if it was recurring behaviour it would be different, but it seems to have been a one-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

That would piss me off too. I'd probably overlook it the first time and say he was just being a feckin eejit or doing a childish prank, but tbh it would make me question why he was testing to see what my reaction was.
    I just don't like what that implies, and I would be on the look out to see if he was questioning me strangely about my activities such as asking the same questions in an attempt to "catch me out" in some imagined offense he had in his head.

You say he hasn't displayed any jealous suspicious behavior before, so it probably was just a silly little prank. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it, just say you don't find it that funny. I would be on the alert to see if there were other little things that displayed untrusting or "testing you" type of behavior from him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its on the prank meter about level with dropping an ice cube down the back of your top or farting and drawing the covers over your head.

If something as small as this pisses you off then he is going to be in for a fun ride in his new co-habiting location.

Amiright wrote: »
    It's just that he knows I'm touchy about that sort of thing anyway cos I had a problem with an ex who texted me incessantly to the point where I had to go to the guards to stop him. He says he only wanted to see my reaction but how did he think I'd react like?? and what f I had just assumed it was a wrong number and not told him?

You're still over-reacting. It still sounds like a silly joke and you'd be better off taking it as such. I don't understand though why you've moved in with your boyfriend if you don't trust him enough to know when a joke's a joke. This sort of hand wringing drama usually only occurs when one partner doesn't know the other all that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Jumpy wrote: »
    If something as small as this pisses you off then he is going to be in for a fun ride in his new co-habiting location.

Yeah if I were your bf I would be sitting wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

wow - complete over-reaction.

looks like your OH is in for a very bumpy ride, man the lifeboats i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I think you're totally overreacting OP. I think it's rather cute, he was only messing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Ask him what was he going to do if you hadn't told him and see how funny he'd think that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Hey OP,

It really depends on your bf. If he knew about your ex's incessent texting and you having to go to the gaurds then this prank was either a) incredibly insensitive or b) stupid. He may have forgotton about that or didn't realise that it would give you a scare. If he was testing you I'd be mightily pissed with a capital P, like WTF?!?!?!?! would be my reaction.

Best plan of action IMO: let it go and see it as a joke. If he does something like this again or gives you other tests (if that's what this was) then I'd run for my life. But yeah I would genuinely give him the benefit of the doubt this time and let it go.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would have seen it as a minor prank, and that you overreacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

he could just have been feeling slightly insecure, maybe he wanted to see if you would text back all flirty..but you didnt .. and if he was testing you he now knows he can completely trust you and that your not interested in anybody else. if it happens again then you have a reason to be angry , but this time i dont think you should get angry over it just keep it in the back of your mind , if something happens again like this then get annoyed and hurt .. but not just now .. by the way how long are ye going out for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Amiright wrote: »
    I got a text message on my phone about an hour ago from an unknown number saying 'hey sexy chic, how are you?'. I immediately panicked a bit and showed it to my oh (who I have recently moved in with), wondering if it was someone I know or just a wrong number. After a few minutes of debating whether to text back asking who it was, my oh started laughing and admitted it was him that had sent it (using our 3 broadband wifi modem). Of course, I was fairly pissed off and told him so. He said he just 'wanted to see my reaction' and that it was only for a laugh. It seems to me like very jealous suspicious behaviour (which he has never shown before)..... I mean, texting me something like that to see what my reaction would be?? Am I right to be angry or am I just overreacting??

Sombody is a wee bit jealous, or insecure I think, no not you..him! it does sound rather childish all the same :o

Advertisement