Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spraoi?

• 26-07-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Is there very little hype over the sproai festival this weekend or is it just me?Have not heard too much talk about it or heard of whats on around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be promoted as much this year. However, as Spraoi is a long running, well established festival, I think it will still attract a large crowd. I know people were disappointed to see on Spraoi's FB page that there won't be any fireworks on Sunday though and I wonder if this will have any knock on effect.

Having looked at the line-up on their website, there seems to be a lot of good acts featured over the weekend, including a couple of decent local bands, which is always good to see. In any case I'm sure it will be a successful weekend, as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

everyone just seems knackered after Tall Ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheNardDawg

everyone just seems knackered after Tall Ships

You speak for eveyone do ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You speak for eveyone do ya?
    Nah, just yourself.

For everyone else it's just a guesstimate based on friends and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

We were spoiled after the tall ships,its a bit like after the lord mayors show.Anyway hope those who are attending enjoy and well done to all the volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Tall Ships, Music Fest, they all take their toll.

I hope the weather will be great for it though. Lot's of people who might usually come home to Waterford for Spraoi came home for the tall ships.

I'm still looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The Guardian has giving it a very good review.
    Spraoi festival is a free urban festival in beautiful Waterford in the south-east of Ireland. It attracts nearly 100,000 people and the city streets act as a stage for acts from around the world. As well as music, there is an emphasis on street art, with Indian, Swedish, French and German crews bringing acrobatics, dance and juggling to the festival. There is also a programme of live music – from bluegrass to ska – at pubs and other venues, called Rhythm Routes. Sunday afternoon's parade, on a theme of flights of fantasy, is the highlight of the festival.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/european-music-festivals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clearly never been here on a wet Wednesday*

*obligatory self hate comment

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mythor

As mentioned previously, I think people are all festival'd out after the Tall Ships. Not a big spraoi fan myself, but they were involved quite a bit in the Tall Ships too. Maybe the money has run out for publicity? I know thats why there are no fireworks, due to the amount that they put into it for the Tall ships...and they were fantastic.

Same thing happened when the Tall ships were here first..Spraoi weekend was a pretty quiet affair compared to previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No harm to be fair, only so much "partying" can be done. Waterford is not Galway, which is a festival economy these days.

(slightly surprised the Guardian spotted it, someone must have alerted them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Roll eyes at mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Lads its 'FREE'.

I can party all day and night as long as its free.

My days off usually consist of a nice long walk with a buggy, now I can see something while I walk, no complaints from me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

There doesn't seem to be as much hype about it as their has been in the past.

I've got family coming to Waterford tomorrow for the Sproai weekend, just hope we have good weather for it.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My days off usually consist of a nice long walk with a buggy, now I can see something while I walk, no complaints from me!!

Become a modified buggy enthusiast and your days off will be more fun. Lower the wheels, put neon lights underneath, maybe fit a sound system.

You'd have the coolest buggy in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I cant wait for it. Weather is meant to be good also. Spraoi is a hidden gem in Ireland's festival line-up. If only it got the funding other festivals got like the galway arts festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

dayshah wrote: »
    Tall Ships, Music Fest, they all take their toll.

I hope the weather will be great for it though. Lot's of people who might usually come home to Waterford for Spraoi came home for the tall ships.

I'm still looking forward to it though.

I came back for both - do I get brownie points? :)

Really looking forward to the weekend - I hope the weather holds up...

Aarnikotka wrote: »
    I came back for both - do I get brownie points? :)

Of course :)

And for the triple crown, you might come back for the food festival in September too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Few cans, watch a band down on the Plaza, 10 euro spent, what else would ya be doin of a Saturday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Max Powers wrote: »
    I cant wait for it. Weather is meant to be good also. Spraoi is a hidden gem in Ireland's festival line-up. If only it got the funding other festivals got like the galway arts festival.
    +1

As a Galwegian I'll throw in my 2c. Up until the late 90s the Galway Arts Festival week was brilliant a brought a great buzz around the city with free outdoor events in abundance. Around the same time there was also the Salthill Festival (my first job infact) with live acts on a purpose built stage on the prom. It was always great craic. 7-Up beat on the street and all that jazz. If you were in the city or Salthill, you simply couldn't have avoided the entertainment if you tried, which between all that was going on spanned several weeks around July.

In the late 90s, everything started to go ticket-based and behind closed doors (Town Hall / Black Box Theatres / Big Tent / etc). Slowly but surely the only thing for free was parade (although very good), the festival was nothing like it used to be. For years now the only way I'd know that the GAF was on would be from all the ads in local papers and posters around the city promoting some paid event. Driving around in your car you'd never know anything was on.

In 2004, myself and my girlfriend took a trip to Waterford for Spraoi weekend. She already knew about it, but it was my first time experiencing it. The weather was fantastic and for the first time in about 10 years I once again experienced the buzz we used to have in Galway during the GAF. I fell in love with Waterford, and continued to attend Spraoi every year until 2007 when it lashed for the entire weekend and did it's best to destroy the festivities. So we decided to give it a break.

So it's been 4 years. I'm about to wrap up work here in Galway because we are once again departing in the morning for Waterford. We can't fuppin wait. I was out in town (here in Galway) last night, yes it's absolutely mental up here with the Galway Races and yes Galway is certainly living up to its reputation as being a party city at the moment. The only problem I have with it though is that it's just thousands of people with plastic containers filled with drink roaming the streets with no entertainment.

The only time recently that we had something really special in Galway was the Volvo Ocean Race in June '09. That was absolutely mental and I'm sure the Tall Ships was similar.

I'm sorry to hear that there'll be no fireworks @ Spraoi this weekend, but as many have said, the weather will hopefully keep things ticking over without a hitch. I'll never forget that first time in 2004, over in Christendom across the river just after arriving and hearing some Dj blaring Massive Attack / Leftfield on the stage across from Reginalds Tower.

Roll on Spraoi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I've some foreign friends coming down for SPRAOI this year, If you see a lost looking Saudi lad or a Venezuelan couple Say Hi for me .... unfortunatly due to an in'law wedding up the North I'll be missing it for the 1st time in years. ENJOY FOLKS :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi lads, heading to Spraoi for the first time, looking forward to it! :)

Was wondering, do the Big Top tickets tend to sell out?

Was considering buying them online but also see they can be bought in the park. Would prefer to not really plan the weekend too much by booking them in advance.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

Top tickets tend to sell out?

I never knew ya needed tickets down there ooops looks like ive been breaking the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

most things dont need tickets, if there is a ticket for something you really want to see or you are bringing kids, get them. Im often happiest just to pick out a few acts i want to see in the day and wander around the rest, stop for pint, lunch, street acts etc

Yup, that sounds like the best plan alright, just play it by ear.

Here's the stuff that requires tickets by the way:

http://www.spraoi.com/big-top-tickets/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Is true there no fireworks this year? Billy MacCarthy said it this morning on the radio.

Spraoi's official Twitter feed said it too.

http://twitter.com/#!/waterfordspraoi/status/96235684205035520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

STIG83 wrote: »
    Is true there no fireworks this year? Billy MacCarthy said it this morning on the radio.
    No fireworks this year, tis a pity but sure it's a 3 day festival, the fireworks are nice but they are only a 10-15 minute thing to finish off the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Why was the night parades cancelled? I always thought that was their ace card. The only nighttime parade in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's definitely going to be the poorest turn out for any Spraoi Festival..which is a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

It's definitely going to be the poorest turn out for any Spraoi Festival..which is a real shame.

Have to agree with you. Normally we'd head in on the Saturday and stay late for the bands and do the same on the Sunday and hang around for the fireworks. But I asked my 13 year if he wanted to go in today and he wasnt bothered and just wants to go in around tomorrow.

I think it's come too soon after the Tall Ships and as aresult the promotion for it got lost as a result.

Absolute shame.

Advertisement