Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spraoi?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hearing a lot of people thought it wasn't as good as previous years. Even some lady just there on TodayFM seemed to put a downer on it.

I'd say the Tall Ships probably did pull from it and then the Music Fest a little drew crowds away. City seemed dead enough to me on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Tall Ships or not, Spraoi was definitely a let down from previous years. Aside from the gigs/shows etc, I was at the Spraoi Festival Club over the weekend. Put mildly, it was horrible, small crowd with no atmosphere.
    I also thought that the cover charge of €15 was too steep. But as everything else is free, i didn't mind paying over the odds.
    I'm trying not to sound too negative cause I think the work that Spraoi and volunteers do is amazing.
    Maybe my hopes are too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

several thumbs up for the new courthouse stage. \o/

next year is 20 year anniversary. bring it on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

I heard that Spraoi cancelled a gig for a local band during the Tall ships race and , instead, put a Danish band in in their place that , by all accounts, were not half as good as the local band they cancelled. I know there were alot of "original" local acts that played during spraoi, but whatever happened to them getting the multitude of good local cover bands too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Shoot me if you like but here goes ......
    I think spraoi peaked years ago, it's good but never gets any better.
    Since they changed the parade route and split their weekend over two different weekends ( spraoi in the park) things have started to slide.
    No fireworks this year was a serious let down, what was the reason for this, funding ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I heard that Spraoi cancelled a gig for a local band during the Tall ships race and , instead, put a Danish band in in their place that , by all accounts, were not half as good as the local band they cancelled. I know there were alot of "original" local acts that played during spraoi, but whatever happened to them getting the multitude of good local cover bands too?

Like most posts on this forum that start "I heard..." that's complete pish. The Sproai had nothing to do with bands for the Tall Ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

What's with this fascination with fairworks most of them are tame affairs anyway and we had three was it during tall ships ( still have yet to see a fireworks display beat the opening of celtworld).spraoi are good in what they do we need to aim high with further festivals like what Galway and Kilkenny do. That river is a great asset let's not waste it till the next tall ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

decies wrote: »
    What's with this fascination with fairworks most of them are tame affairs anyway and we had three was it during tall ships ( still have yet to see a fireworks display beat the opening of celtworld).spraoi are good in what they do we need to aim high with further festivals like what Galway and Kilkenny do. That river is a great asset let's not waste it till the next tall ships.

Did spraoi have a floating parade one year? Maybe it was a parade in Cork organised by spraoi I'm thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anotherdave

Overall Spraoi was excellent.
    Was down on the Mall and at Cathedral Sq on Saturday with two kids and was entertained for free for about four hours.
    Went to the park on Sunday for another few hours. The parade was superb - fantastic concept brilliantly executed. It was passing the spot where I was for about 45-50minutes. Again high quality, free entertainment.
    Watched a couple of bands at the courthouse over the two days and watched some of the street entertainers in the park on Sunday also.
    I had no problem donating a fiver for that.

Nearly everyone that I saw being 'volunteers' for the street entertainers seemed to be from somewhere other than Waterford. So maybe non- locals enjoy it for what it is and don't/can't compare it to years in the past when it was a (very enjoyable!) three day session.

Spraoi seems to be a lot more child centered these days which is no bad thing in my opinion.

Huge respect and congratulations to the team behind it and can't wait for the 20th anniversary next yr.

PS no fireworks. Big deal :p

Like most posts on this forum that start "I heard..." that's complete pish. The Sproai had nothing to do with bands for the Tall Ships.
    Im sorry my friend. But its fact. Came from a very reliable source.

• Advertisement

Okay, " My friend"...give me some more details...what was the band that got cancelled? Where was the venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

In that case, please fill out the following form.
    Band Name:
    Danish Band Name:
    Time of Gig:
    Location of Gig:
    Source Name:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Not sure about this band story, but it is true that Spraoi WERE managing the street entertainment for Tall Ships Weekend. Outside of the Bolton St. concerts which I'd imagine were managed by the TS committee, Spraoi were in charge of the entertainment on other stages and on street entertainment etc.

There's so much talk about how Spraoi 11 was so poor compared to Tall Ships, but I don't think people realise how much the Spraoi team put into Tall Ships Weekend.

In that case, please fill out the following form.
    Band Name:
    Danish Band Name:
    Time of Gig:
    Location of Gig:
    Source Name:
    are you serious? Look at the post under your " form" and you will see my point proven. Im not he only one that knows sproai organised the street entertainment for the tall shippes.

are you serious? Look at the post under your " form" and you will see my point proven. Im not he only one that knows sproai organised the street entertainment for the tall shippes.
    No that doesn't prove your 'story' at all. It even says "Not sure about this band story". All it says is that Spraoi were in charge of the street entertainment and music on a couple of stages, which the majoirty of us knew anyway.

Your RUMOUR is that "Spraoi cancelled a gig for a local band during the Tall ships race and, instead, put a Danish band in in their place that, by all accounts, were not half as good as the local band they cancelled."

And you won't name either of the bands, or what stage the gig was on, or who your 'very reliable source' that you heard it from was so as far as we know it's bullshit.

Wanna give us that info and prove your story then?

No that doesn't prove your 'story' at all. It even says "Not sure about this band story". All it says is that Spraoi were in charge of the street entertainment and music on a couple of stages, which the majoirty of us knew anyway.

Your RUMOUR is that "Spraoi cancelled a gig for a local band during the Tall ships race and, instead, put a Danish band in in their place that, by all accounts, were not half as good as the local band they cancelled."

And you won't name either of the bands, or what stage the gig was on, or who your 'very reliable source' that you heard it from was so as far as we know it's bullshit.

Wanna give us that info and prove your story then?
    Look. I know what i Know. I wouldnt be foolish enough to be naming bands or the pub they were cancelled in, for fear i would jeopardise their chances of getting future gigs in said pub. I didnt ask you to believe my post. Im just saying that the Irish band in question were told by the publican that they had to cancel their gig, as Spraoi had gotten a " Danish metal band" to do the gig instead. End of story.

Okay don't name the person who said it to you then.

Name the bands at least. No harm in that. If anything the irish band would have sympathy from us for having their gig cancelled.

"I know what I know" is "I can't back it up so I'm not going to now go away."

Ya see even if you told us the name of the Danish band I could give you some sort of reply.

I personally cancelled a band on the sunday night because the Tal Ships Committee were providing a Danish band for free.

Give a venue a choice of paying nothing for a band or 450 and I know what everyone would do.

But this may not be the case we're talking about because you're perfectly happy to come on and bash the Spraoi committee but provide no evidence to back it up.

Okay don't name the person who said it to you then.

Name the bands at least. No harm in that. If anything the irish band would have sympathy from us for having their gig cancelled.

"I know what I know" is "I can't back it up so I'm not going to now go away."
    why dont u ask abouttobebanned? he seems to know alot.

You're a spoofer. Fcuk off and libel someone elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

You're a spoofer. Fcuk off and libel someone elsewhere.

Banned.

It's a general rule that posters be able to back up any accusations they make with proof - that's why the regulars are so adamant that you do so.

Advertisement