Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masters in social work

Options
  • 26-07-2011 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi...im starting the masters in social work this sept, im very excited but not really sure what to expect...other than a heafty workload .. if anyone could give me any info...particularly about placements...do we get to pick our own or are they assigned to us or do we get no say in the matter
    any help would be appreciated it x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hiya,

Just graduated from the Masters of Social work.

The workload is massive, the hours are long, but the lectures are awesome and you will get to be incredibly friendly with your class.

With regards to work placements, there is no choice in where you go, other than vague geographical areas, for example "i would like a placement in cork, where im from". but most people just choose Dublin.

The only advice i would give is work hard from the get go. It makes SUCH a difference, and never tell the school where you definitely dont want to go (areas of work) because that is where they will put you. A girl in my class specifically requested to not work with elderly people, as she had done a lot of work with that demographic, and that's exactly where she was put for placement.

I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fiona88keating

yeah great help thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 9 which path

Hello, I am a third year social studies student and wondering what is the best way to get into social work.

Do I have to do three or four year in social care to transfer into social work?

Moreover, i know that master programmes in social work cost 6,800 per year, and wondering if their is a less expensive option to get a social work qualification?

Furthermore, Where are the best places to gain experience in the social work field in ireland. I understand it can be difficult to gain a placement,

thanks

Hi,

In order to become a social worker in Ireland, you must undertake one of the recognised programmes under the new registration body, CORU.

http://www.coru.ie/education-section/alias-41/alias-42/

I got into social work by undertaking the Social Science degree in UCD, which you need to take Social Policy as a major in. People in my masters class, however, who had done social studies, had done the one year Social Policy Diploma (of which there is one in UCD).

With regards to work experience, it is impossible to work as a social worker without having the qualifications, so in order to gain work experience, I would recommend working with various different agencies (eg, focus ireland, ruhama, le cheile, working with elderly people, etc etc). Its a lot of voluntary work.

If you have any other questions, just let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 which path

Thanks triseke for your reply,

It has being most helpful. Each year I am building up my work experience portfolio and the organisations you mentioned sound really interesting.

Due to the financial aspect of the masters I may take a two year gap and save, and then apply again to colleges.

Do you know of any financial assistance that is available for masters programmes? and would it be possible to work part time while doing a masters, or is the work load quiet intense?

regards

which path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 mareliada

hi, i graduated 6 years ago, time flies. i did masters in ucd. i also anticipated a heavy tough time but it was fine or else i have forgotten the hard times! it is 9-5 classes though and a lot of essays so it would be hard to work part time. could you consider a loan to cover the cost? the starting salary is good, although lower than i think the last few years.
    how the placement goes very much depends on your practice teacher, i had one tough and one easy going. and i have been a practice teacher and will be again this year so i always try to reduce the students stress as that is the best way to learn and gain expereince.
    the 2 years fly by so enjoy it, any sw i know has made great friends on the course so you will have a blast!

hi...does anyone know the average for people on the masters? im 23 and everyone iv talked to was on it has been much older....im wondering will i be one of the youngest on the course? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

hi...does anyone know the average for people on the masters? im 23 and everyone iv talked to was on it has been much older....im wondering will i be one of the youngest on the course? :eek:

Depends but with Social Science being a 3 year course in UCD, you will most likely have some people younger than you.

about 3/4 of my class was under 30, and the rest were older. I was one of the youngest in my class when i started, i was 21.

thanks...thats good to hear..i was worried that alot might be older and would be difficult to make friends...but that age group sounds grand

• Advertisement

You'd think that, but honestly age is not a factor in making friends in this course!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

While this thread is active, do you have any advice or ideas would be great for doing experience. I will be most likely applying for this masters in a few years.

Hello...i applied for the masters twice, getting on the waiting list the 1st year and getting a place the second time....the 1st time i only had experience volunteering in a community group for people with disabilities while the second year i had this aswell as working on a helpline...they really seemed to love the helpline...to be honest alot of people have a lot more experience than that i think its about how you come across in the interview...i wasnt that prepared the 1st time while the next year...i really did my homework..came across really confident and knew my stuff. But if your looking for what type of experience yoi should get i would recommend helplines...you deal with alot of issues that will come up in the interview...communication, confidentiality, supervision. The helpline is what gone me in neway...hope that helps xxx

i qualified a while ago and i agree the interview is just as important, but having experience will obviously make you feel more confidan and that you have real examples to draw on. i was only 21 and had worked for a year between the degree and masters as a welfare officer in the corpo so i guess they liked that cos i can't imagine i did that well in interview!
    check out activelink.ie or volunteerireland.ie for your local area- you will defo find somethign you will enjoy or at least can do. if you can identify an area you are interested great if not just get a broad range of experiences.
    don't feel disappointed if you only get on the waiting list, loads in my class got in from the waiting list. and if you don't get in don't give up, maybe the year or so gaining experience will really stand to you in later career. always be professional and maintain good working relarionships with who you do voluntary work with as it is a small world out there and it is brilliant tohave people to be references or as a possible job in the future!
    good luck all

which path wrote: »
    Thanks triseke for your reply,

It has being most helpful. Each year I am building up my work experience portfolio and the organisations you mentioned sound really interesting.

Due to the financial aspect of the masters I may take a two year gap and save, and then apply again to colleges.

Do you know of any financial assistance that is available for masters programmes? and would it be possible to work part time while doing a masters, or is the work load quiet intense?

regards

which path

which path,
    have you looked into county council grants? i was under 23 and livnig at home so qualified for one. but there are also county council grants if you are a mature student. well there were when i went not that long ago, but i know things are very different and it can be hard to qualify.
    either way it will be worth it, a few years is all good experience while you save. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

Hello...i applied for the masters twice, getting on the waiting list the 1st year and getting a place the second time....the 1st time i only had experience volunteering in a community group for people with disabilities while the second year i had this aswell as working on a helpline...they really seemed to love the helpline...to be honest alot of people have a lot more experience than that i think its about how you come across in the interview...i wasnt that prepared the 1st time while the next year...i really did my homework..came across really confident and knew my stuff. But if your looking for what type of experience yoi should get i would recommend helplines...you deal with alot of issues that will come up in the interview...communication, confidentiality, supervision. The helpline is what gone me in neway...hope that helps xxx

Hey I'm in the same boat this year and going to apply for all four colleges, just wondering what they asked you and what kind of theory you stuck to as I'm looking at Neil Thompson theorizing social work practice an praying to get in on my second time this year, Amy help or advice would be great

Roberta88 wrote: »
    Hey I'm in the same boat this year and going to apply for all four colleges, just wondering what they asked you and what kind of theory you stuck to as I'm looking at Neil Thompson theorizing social work practice an praying to get in on my second time this year, Amy help or advice would be great

I spoke a lot about attachment theory in my interview. The most important thing is to remain confident and to relate the theory to the experience you have.

Best of luck!

triseke wrote: »

I spoke a lot about attachment theory in my interview. The most important thing is to remain confident and to relate the theory to the experience you have.

Best of luck!

That's brilliant thanks :)

id focus on SW values, try not to stress on the theory stuff as there are so many you head will be melted adn without experience to draw on or to use by way of explaining your understanding of the theory you might wrap yourself up at interview.
    the values are so NB, hopfuly when you go through them you will realise that you naturally have the majority as part of your make up. respect/acceptance/non judgementalism/ right to slef determination/ providing a safe emotional space........
    there are a few more, if you can think of examples of how you incorporate these inot any work experiences you have that be great and bound to impress. also social justice ideas, if you want to look at theories look at practical ones, anti-oppressive practice/ solution focused/ strenght based working/ crisis intervention......

good luck, we need more good smart SW more adn more

mareliada wrote: »

id focus on SW values, try not to stress on the theory stuff as there are so many you head will be melted adn without experience to draw on or to use by way of explaining your understanding of the theory you might wrap yourself up at interview.
    the values are so NB, hopfuly when you go through them you will realise that you naturally have the majority as part of your make up. respect/acceptance/non judgementalism/ right to slef determination/ providing a safe emotional space........
    there are a few more, if you can think of examples of how you incorporate these inot any work experiences you have that be great and bound to impress. also social justice ideas, if you want to look at theories look at practical ones, anti-oppressive practice/ solution focused/ strenght based working/ crisis intervention......

good luck, we need more good smart SW more adn more

Thank you so much this really helps I've been studying Neil thompsons book theorising social work practice also going to get his other book understanding social work and have a list of what to study like supervisio,values and ethics, and theories like attachment advocacy and children rights that relate to my experience as I have experience with foroige,nursing home,day centre for the elderly,support worker/childminder with kids and childline. And hopefully volunteer with women's aid in the new year!!so trying to get as much experience as I can as I've also met with a social work team in crumlin so got a good perspective also!so if anyone has any more ideas pop them in cause I'd be unbelieveable grateful!!thanks!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'll jump in here as a grad of the NUIG Masters... Id have a quick read of Coulshed and Orme's 'Social Work Practice'..ten times clearer than Thompson and user friendly. NUIG are quite keen on the critical social policy aspect also; frankly I found theories such as neo liberalism, marxism, Bourdeousian persepctives were focused on more than the crucial attachment, and berevament theories, but perhaps just reference the attempt to radicalise of social work that's going on this weather. Good luck.

Edit; just realised this was UCD, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

triseke wrote: »
    Hiya,

Just graduated from the Masters of Social work.

The workload is massive, the hours are long, but the lectures are awesome and you will get to be incredibly friendly with your class.

With regards to work placements, there is no choice in where you go, other than vague geographical areas, for example "i would like a placement in cork, where im from". but most people just choose Dublin.

The only advice i would give is work hard from the get go. It makes SUCH a difference, and never tell the school where you definitely dont want to go (areas of work) because that is where they will put you. A girl in my class specifically requested to not work with elderly people, as she had done a lot of work with that demographic, and that's exactly where she was put for placement.

I hope this helps!

Hi, what was your timetable like in semester 1? I know people are saying 9-5 but was it like that everyday, some days, the odd day?

And the placements - full time 9-5 also?? Doesn't leave much time for paid work and to do assignments.

Cheers.

I'll jump in here as a grad of the NUIG Masters... Id have a quick read of Coulshed and Orme's 'Social Work Practice'..ten times clearer than Thompson and user friendly. NUIG are quite keen on the critical social policy aspect also; frankly I found theories such as neo liberalism, marxism, Bourdeousian persepctives were focused on more than the crucial attachment, and berevament theories, but perhaps just reference the attempt to radicalise of social work that's going on this weather. Good luck.

Edit; just realised this was UCD, apologies!

No it's grand this is helpful also as I'm applying for galway,cork,trinity and Ucd :)

Thank you so much this really helps I've been studying Neil thompsons book theorising social work practice also going to get his other book understanding social work and have a list of what to study like supervisio,values and ethics, and theories like attachment advocacy and children rights that relate to my experience as I have experience with foroige,nursing home,day centre for the elderly,support worker/childminder with kids and childline. And hopefully volunteer with women's aid in the new year!!so trying to get as much experience as I can as I've also met with a social work team in crumlin so got a good perspective also!so if anyone has any more ideas pop them in cause I'd be unbelieveable grateful!!thanks!!:)

You' l b fine you hav loads of experience. I worked in child protection in crumlin for years, so whether it was them or the hosp im sure u got good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mamatee12

hi, i just want to ask if u are still a practice teacher for social work student?. i am currently studying social work at the moment and am looking a practice teacher for my my placement. if interested pls reply back so that i can give you the full details

hi, i just want to ask if u are still a practice teacher for social work student?. i am currently studying social work at the moment and am looking a practice teacher for my my placement. if interested pls reply back so that i can give you the full details

mamatee12 wrote: »
    Im not at the moment as i have recently changed job so need a year or so before id take it on again. not sure where u are studying? my experience has been that placements are sourced by a staff member in the faculty not by students themselves.
    Sorry:-) good luck

thanks m. i actually studying social work at Robert Gordon university in Scotland as a distance learning/part time. we r meant to look for placement and practice teacher yourself and the school is ready to fund the payment. i mean pay the practice teacher for the period of my placement.

Hi everyone,
    pls am looking for a practice teacher for my work placement. I study social work degree at Robert Gordon university in Scotland and to the school procedure befoe the intake, we meant to get our placement and practice teacher on our own and the school we fund it. i mean pay the practice teacher for the duration of my placement. i live in Dublin but its really hard to find private practice teacher. pls i need ur help

• Advertisement

mamatee12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    pls am looking for a practice teacher for my work placement. I study social work degree at Robert Gordon university in Scotland and to the school procedure befoe the intake, we meant to get our placement and practice teacher on our own and the school we fund it. i mean pay the practice teacher for the duration of my placement. i live in Dublin but its really hard to find private practice teacher. pls i need ur help
    Thats hard having to find yr own, esp if it is at same times as the universities do placements here, which is sept-dec and jan- apr as it is hard enough for them to get all the placements they need. Hav u tried other online sw forums? The iasw?
    Good luck

Advertisement