Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do the rdf military police do?

• 26-07-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

In the rdf do all mp's start as corporals?
    And is there no commissioned officers in the military police?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

nomull27 wrote: »
    In the rdf do all mp's start as corporals?
    And is there no commissioned officers in the military police?

As far as I know, RDF Cpls start as Ptes and go through MP training until they are qual'd to MP Cpl level.

I've seen MP RDF Officers in the glen and in the curragh. Never talked to them though. LOL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

They start from scratch, I have trained a few, they don't wear the red beret in recruit camp.

As for their 2-3* training I am not sure what they do, ie they do the skills part on the Pots course.

I have seen officers in the the MPs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

759021_traffic_cone_750mm_ireland.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Portable round abouts and are deadly at organizing parking areas. ;) j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Portable round abouts and are deadly at organizing parking areas. ;) j/k

Of course you're joking! They're useless at organising parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

They start from scratch, I have trained a few, they don't wear the red beret in recruit camp.

As for their 2-3* training I am not sure what they do, ie they do the skills part on the Pots course.

I have seen officers in the the MPs too.

Feckn act like they do.....Gob****es all of them, officers and men.

Heard a rumour that they'er getting a green square behind their badge similar to the rest of the rdf; they'll get even less respect from me then. We never hid what we were!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

The whole concept of the reserve is a waste of time . The integrated part was on the right track. People out doing runs . Same gear as regulars. Doing duties. But of coarse the sandbag officers scuppered the whole idea because they weren't part of it. Look at the make up of the rdfra executive..Officers. old men for the most part. Compare it to the territorials in the UK and its feck all to do with resources..More a mind set.. from ex P A . Twenty years... P.s. working with the regulars is more rewarding than with the rdf less roaring and shouting done..

The whole concept of the reserve is a waste of time . The integrated part was on the right track. People out doing runs . Same gear as regulars. Doing duties. But of coarse the sandbag officers scuppered the whole idea because they weren't part of it. Look at the make up of the rdfra executive..Officers. old men for the most part. Compare it to the territorials in the UK and its feck all to do with resources..More a mind set.. from ex P A . Twenty years... P.s. working with the regulars is more rewarding than with the rdf less roaring and shouting done..

This is an off topic rant. The question was 'what does the MPC do', not 'gime me your views on the usefulness of the RDF in no less that 100 disparaging remarks'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

as far as I kno they go through a recruit training program and hav to do a 2*-3* cse, not sure what the program of training involves... they don't get a red beret (source of all their powers) til they do their equivalent of a cpls cse...

have to say all I've ever seen them do is direct traffic really although I'm sure they do more.............. although I'm not quite sure what that is..........

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    as far as I kno they go through a recruit training program and hav to do a 2*-3* cse, not sure what the program of training involves... they don't get a red beret (source of all their powers) til they do their equivalent of a cpls cse...

have to say all I've ever seen them do is direct traffic really although I'm sure they do more.............. although I'm not quite sure what that is..........

got threatened with arrest and a charge by an MP 2* on my 2* camp years ago. I think the corp summed it up best when he said 'try it and I'll let him (me) batter you and then give him an alibi you PA piece of s**te!'

Needless to say opinions haven't improved over the years. As a battalion we were gutted to hear that our PDF cadre mentor was a PDF MP Commandant....

NCOs were actually asked what the f*** was going on that this was allowed happen? The Pte's and recruits kept asking what they'd done to deserve it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

What powers do the military police have here in Ireland..all joking aside and why are they hated so much ?
    I'm a civvie but with an interest in the military in general.
    I was in the RDF years ago but remember being on camp in both Kilkenny & Tralee and we were always pre warned by our cpls to not mess with the military police when we were coming back from the pubs late etc.

constantg wrote: »
    got threatened with arrest and a charge by an MP 2* on my 2* camp years ago. I think the corp summed it up best when he said 'try it and I'll let him (me) batter you and then give him an alibi you PA piece of s**te!'

Needless to say opinions haven't improved over the years. As a battalion we were gutted to hear that our PDF cadre mentor was a PDF MP Commandant....

NCOs were actually asked what the f*** was going on that this was allowed happen? The Pte's and recruits kept asking what they'd done to deserve it!

A 3* "MP" pte has no powers , let alone a 2*... MP's are Cpl's for a reason.

A 3* "MP" pte has no powers , let alone a 2*... MP's are Cpl's for a reason.

I know that and YOU know that, but HE DIDN'T know that. It was a very rough and ready 2 weeks for him

vixdname wrote: »
    What powers do the military police have here in Ireland..all joking aside and why are they hated so much ?
    I'm a civvie but with an interest in the military in general.
    I was in the RDF years ago but remember being on camp in both Kilkenny & Tralee and we were always pre warned by our cpls to not mess with the military police when we were coming back from the pubs late etc.

MPs (Poliní Airm in Irish, hence the reference to PA's occasionally) are bound to enforce military law, the defence force regulations (DFR's) and to keep the peace/promote good and orderly conduct within the DF, whether within the barracks or on operations inside and outside the state.

They provide an armed guard force for the President and for Government Buildings. If you look at the link @ , you'll see a party of armed military police men responding to the incursion by Sinn Fein protestors who had broken into Kildare House.

They also provide a police service (similar to, but with greater powers than the Gardaí) in barracks and military installations in Ireland and overseas. There are MPs in Lebanon with the Irish Army. They issue speeding tickets, carry out breathalyser and parking checks, check for tax and road worthiness, investigate car crashes, they investigate theft of personal items, of defence forces equipment, ammunition, weapons, fraud, etc.

They as also carry out forensic examinations of crime scenes, just like the garda technical bureau. This evidence can be admissable in court. They investigate claims of rape and threatening behaviour not covered by the DF dignity charter and A7 section of the DFRs.

They direct traffic (walking traffic cone). They provide an additional armed presence within a barracks in addition to the guard, the BOS and the Orderly Officer. They sometimes are posted at points of entry in order to show that it is a no Bullsh*t tolerated zone.

They uphold military law and DF regulations. This can concern dress (wearing of appropriate headgear by ALL ranks and appropriate attention to the correct wearing of one's uniform - hence the need for MP officers), attitude to superiors (saluting, showing respect, NOT telling them to *uck off!) and juniors. Ensuring that the ranks do not commit violence against each other. They police the army's messing establishments (the bars) and clear them. They also administer the Army's military prison (the glasshouse/the digger) in the Curragh Camp in Kildare, where persons convicted of military crimes are held.

They finally provide an armed deterrent to troublemakers, thieves, persons trying to break in and/or harm senior officers in command of battalions/brigades/generals in the close protection role.

Unfortunately some of them also tend to think they're god made man/jesus come again/the best thing since since sliced bread. Imagine the cockiest person you know. The most arrogant, insufferable, obnoxious, laziest, useless article. Then make them a guard. Then strap a gun to their waist. Then give them pretty much UNLIMITED power.

Thats why the MPs are hated. Cos they generally swing the f*cking lead when it comes to exercising that power and try and sweat the rest of us for ****s and giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Unfortunately some of them also tend to think they're god made man/jesus come again/the best thing since since sliced bread. Imagine the cockiest person you know. The most arrogant, insufferable, obnoxious, laziest, useless article. Then make them a guard. Then strap a gun to their waist. Then give them pretty much UNLIMITED power.

They don't have unlimited power - an MP corporal only has the same power as any other corporal, just that his/her knowledge & experience of enforcing Military regulations would be better.

Any they also suffer incredibly from boredom. MPs have very little to do as most units deal with disciplinary issues themselves - there aren't that much in the way of serious crime in the DF. As a result, a lot of them try to get involved in what does not involve them and tend to get their nose out of joint when told where to go. My experience is that MPs lack the knowledge and experience to do their jobs (in the RDF anyway) and tend to be ignored - hence the attitude. Having had my run ins with them, their knowledge of Army regs is poor as they are not involved in the daily enforcement of them and tend to not know how the regs work in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

But of coarse the sandbag officers scuppered the whole idea because they weren't part of it.

Incorrect. RDF Officers were part of the integrated reserve. It was stood down because the PDF deemed it a failure, and it was, no other reason. It worked in one or two units, but that was it.
    Look at the make up of the rdfra executive..Officers. old men for the most part.

This is the last committee - http://www.rdfra.ie/committees/NE/index.shtml - they are not all officers, and most of them are not old men, in fact one of them is even a woman!

testicle wrote: »
    Incorrect. RDF Officers were part of the integrated reserve. It was stood down because the PDF deemed it a failure, and it was, no other reason. It worked in one or two units, but that was it.

As someone who was in it, it was most definitely RDF officers who killed off. Anyone who went for it was ostracised and lost courses over it. It got so bad in my unit that an RDF Comdt was nearly charged over bullying people who wanted to go for it. Information about integration was kept from those who wanted to go for it - I can't remember the amount of people who were told that it was not going ahead. They couldn't get people to go for it - and therefore the PDF deemed it a failure but it was most definitely the fault of the RDF
    testicle wrote: »
    This is the last committee - http://www.rdfra.ie/committees/NE/index.shtml - they are not all officers, and most of them are not old men, in fact one of them is even a woman!
    I think the comment was "For the most part" - more than half are officers - I don't know all their ranks but I don't think any are Corporals or below. You are also struggling to find anyone less than 40 years old.

Doctor14 wrote: »
    ...an MP corporal only has the same power as any other corporal, just that his/her knowledge & experience of enforcing Military regulations would be better.

Actually they differ significantly from Corporals. The most glaring difference is that they have the power of arrest. They can arrest Privates and Junior NCOs (Other Corporals, not too sure about Senior NCOs) and charge them with offences.

Another difference would be the fact that they are armed with the HK USP when on duty and Cpls are generally armed with the Steyr when on guard, but that's a superficial difference.

But you're right about the boredom. They're almost constantly cranky, sarcastic, condescending and belligerent. Think about how people view garda cars etc or when guards pass you in the street. You've done nothing wrong, broken no laws, offended noone and yet you're still nervous. You're still afraid that they'll do something or say something and you'll be in bother.

Actually they differ significantly from Corporals. The most glaring difference is that they have the power of arrest. They can arrest Privates and Junior NCOs (Other Corporals, not too sure about Senior NCOs) and charge them with offences.

Citation needed, please. As far as I know, MP Cpls have the same abilities to arrest as any other Cpl, which is Ptes only.

Another difference would be the fact that they are armed with the HK USP when on duty and Cpls are generally armed with the Steyr when on guard, but that's a superficial difference.

ALL NCOs & Officers have power of arrest over lower ranks, it is not confined to MPs - 3 stars and lower don't have power of arrest. No one can arrest someone of the same or higher rank. And all Cpls can train on and fire USPs. Again, just because your unit doesn't do it, doesn't mean the whole army is the same. Check the regs on that one!!!

• Advertisement

But you're right about the boredom. They're almost constantly cranky, sarcastic, condescending and belligerent. Think about how people view garda cars etc or when guards pass you in the street. You've done nothing wrong, broken no laws, offended noone and yet you're still nervous. You're still afraid that they'll do something or say something and you'll be in bother.

Any NCO can charge an NCO of equal, or junior rank. If you are in the RDF MPs, I suggest you study up on your DFR sharpish.
    In spite of what they think of themselves, they are NOTHING like Gardai.
    They are more like garda reservists, only less useful, and more wannabe.
    Cav Corps Drivers, regardless of rank are also armed with the USP. It is not uncommon for Inf Corporals to be armed with a USP while on security either.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Citation needed, please. As far as I know, MP Cpls have the same abilities to arrest as any other Cpl, which is Ptes only.

http://www.military.ie/army/organisation/army-corps/military-police

'Military Police Corps Section are responsible for co-ordinating all Military Police Corps activities. It also has responsibility for the investigation of crime throughout the Defence Forces. In addition it is responsible for staffing the Military Prison and for the custody of military prisoners'

MPC from military.ie

From reading the 9154 defence act, it seems that the Provost is responsible for arrests etc and he/she delegates that power to the 'relevant persons'. Its left kinda open tbh, I would have thought it was the MPC job to make arrests, but *hand up* fair enough.

171.—(1) Any person subject to military law, who has committed, is found committing, is suspected of being about to commit, or is suspected of or charged under this Act with having committed an offence against military law, may be placed under arrest.
    171. (1) (b) a provost marshal or an officer or non-commissioned officer legally exercising authority under a provost marshal or on his behalf may arrest or order the arrest of any man;

and for good measure.....
    171. (1) (d) a non-commissioned officer may arrest or order the arrest of any man;

Can't find the emoticon for eating humble pie......also why not disestablish the useless walking traffic cones if they dont actually arrest anyone?

If you are in the RDF MPs

I realise you used 'if', but please take that back! I have friends who might have heard you!! MOST DEFINITELY NOT a PA......

I realise you used 'if', but please take that back! I have friends who might have heard you!! MOST DEFINITELY NOT a PA......

I sincerely apologise for any discomfort I have caused you, your family and your descendents.

Seriously, it isn't often that someone admits they are wrong on d'interweb. Well done for doing so and enlightening us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

In a nutshell:

During basic recruit training, if you cant march or had other non conformist physical traits you were veered to the medics or the PA

If you were too thick to be a medic, you tended to be tossed to the PA school, instant Corporal, pain in the butt to everyone else.

There was a Northern Bird with big mammaries in 2fld MPC years ago, got chatting to her in the dining hall one night whilst on duty, suggested a blow job... the response was better left ignored.

Cheers.

I sincerely apologise for any discomfort I have caused you, your family and your descendents.

Seriously, it isn't often that someone admits they are wrong on d'interweb. Well done for doing so and enlightening us all.

If you're wrong you're wrong! No point hiding it like! But as an aside from the designated thread, what's the story with arresting someone if you're not a PA? You have to have authority designated by the Provost I'm guessing, but more than that what do you say? What do you do? The guards have to tell them their rights (not like the BS yankee cop shows, but still); does that hold true for the DF?

Can't find the emoticon for eating humble pie......also why not disestablish the useless walking traffic cones if they dont actually arrest anyone?

Ha, no worries. I was fairly sure I was in the right here, since I arrested a Pte for theft back when I was a Cpl, and I was most certainly not a PA.

Fishtits wrote: »
    In a nutshell:

During basic recruit training, if you cant march or had other non conformist physical traits you were veered to the medics or the PA

If you were too thick to be a medic, you tended to be tossed to the PA school, instant Corporal, pain in the butt to everyone else.

There was a Northern Bird with big mammaries in 2fld MPC years ago, got chatting to her in the dining hall one night whilst on duty, suggested a blow job... the response was better left ignored.

Cheers.

I know of at least 4 Inf Cpls who went and did the MP course.. I can tell you all four were excellent at their Inf appointments.. When I asked why, they told me they wanted a Change, different career path... 2 of them were PTI's before they joined the military police.

what's the story with arresting someone if you're not a PA? You have to have authority designated by the Provost I'm guessing, but more than that what do you say? What do you do? The guards have to tell them their rights (not like the BS yankee cop shows, but still); does that hold true for the DF?
    Yes. When you charge someone, you must present them with a copy of the charge sheet and a copy of the 24hr notice sheet (at least 24hrs notice of a Court Martial). These state their rights and the charges that they are facing. They must then sign the sheets to prove they received them and read them. However, if they refuse, the charging authority may sign it instead as prove that they were given the sheets but refused to take them. All this should be witnessed by a 3rd party.

Charge procedures were changed in 2008. For an overview of the new procedures, there is an article in RACOs Signal magazine (the article entitled "Refined & Respected" below)
    http://www.raco.ie/index.php/signal/34-signal-magazine

The new procedures are part of the Defence Amendment Act 2007. Check the statute books for more details on that. The Defence Act 1954 is also the way to go for a lot of info on it. There are manuals on how to do this but they are probably restricted - check your orderly room or the Intranet.

BUT all this should be covered in your PNCOs Cse.

• Advertisement

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Yes. When you charge someone, you must present them with a copy of the charge sheet and a copy of the 24hr notice sheet (at least 24hrs notice of a Court Martial). These state their rights and the charges that they are facing. They must then sign the sheets to prove they received them and read them. However, if they refuse, the charging authority may sign it instead as prove that they were given the sheets but refused to take them. All this should be witnessed by a 3rd party.

Charge procedures were changed in 2008. For an overview of the new procedures, there is an article in RACOs Signal magazine (the article entitled "Refined & Respected" below)
    http://www.raco.ie/index.php/signal/34-signal-magazine

The new procedures are part of the Defence Amendment Act 2007. Check the statute books for more details on that. The Defence Act 1954 is also the way to go for a lot of info on it. There are manuals on how to do this but they are probably restricted - check your orderly room or the Intranet.

BUT all this should be covered in your PNCOs Cse.

Was covered on mine... making out a charge sheet and all that was "homework"

Was covered on mine... making out a charge sheet and all that was "homework"

Doc forgot I wasn't able to make the fulltime course....tore my ACL on the third prelim weekend. Currently recovering after the op. ow

Doc forgot I wasn't able to make the fulltime course....tore my ACL on the third prelim weekend. Currently recovering after the op. ow

ouch, not fun....

ouch, not fun....

currently on so many tablets that they have to be taken in two lots at the one time, with a minor infection in the harvest wound and agony! nope, not much fun being honest!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

There are no height restrictions in the P.A's anymore....they'll let anyone in these days.....:D

img0658zm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I know of at least 4 Inf Cpls who went and did the MP course.. I can tell you all four were excellent at their Inf appointments.. When I asked why, they told me they wanted a Change, different career path... 2 of them were PTI's before they joined the military police.

And I take your point.

I was based beside a PA nest, so got to meet them on a regular basis. The new ones were the worst.

Made friends with many and actually later met one old PA mate in Iraq as a civvy, I was UN, he was Lloyds on the border at Zacko

Are you out there Spud? (2fldMP) Thanks for the hospitality.

PS I wouldnt trust the buggers as far as I'd toss them, the night I stayed with Spud we had an earthquake.... Definitely an earthquake, nothing to do with the drink... :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Cheers.

Wait... Who suggested the Bon Jovi? And was the response a success or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Cheers.

I've been convinced all along that you were an Officer! I didn't think they taught inter-rank intimacy in the Curragh either... And you certainly have no innate ability for it :D

As for training in the rdf military police. You have to serve in most cases over two years before you get your strips and a red beret. Most reserve mp s. Actually nearly all of us never arrest anyone. We are field military police. Setting up hides. Signing a route for a convey. Directing traffic. We do garrison duties such as working with our regular counterparts in government buildings or from time to time assisting out in the uras . As regards the integrated sections.we were treated with respect. Given great gear. Brought for runs. Expected to do the IT s and a set number of duties. There were rdf officers involved in the integrated concept.. but they were inf platoon commanders. Lts..

No sandbag officers definitly fecked the integrated idea up. Partly through jealousy and partly because they werent needed me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

We had a section of AR MP's doing a route clearance for us when we had a Regimental exercise in Kerry a few years ago. Great bunch, very professional and good at what the did. There were only 7 of them but there seemed to be 3 times that amount; that was the first time I've seen them outside barracks and I was very impressed.

As for training in the rdf military police. You have to serve in most cases over two years before you get your strips and a red beret. Most reserve mp s. Actually nearly all of us never arrest anyone. We are field military police. Setting up hides. Signing a route for a convey. Directing traffic. We do garrison duties such as working with our regular counterparts in government buildings or from time to time assisting out in the uras . As regards the integrated sections.we were treated with respect. Given great gear. Brought for runs. Expected to do the IT s and a set number of duties. There were rdf officers involved in the integrated concept.. but they were inf platoon commanders. Lts..

No sandbag officers definitly fecked the integrated idea up. Partly through jealousy and partly because they werent needed me thinks.

Brought for runs? You'd swear you were a dog!

Sandbag? Here boy, it might have escaped your notice, but if you are a reserve mp, then you are a reservist and therefore by default a sandbag, boyo. So a bit more respect for your fellow reservists might not go astray!

• Advertisement

Ya brought for runs. Because only PDF pti s can train the troops. So they had us run around the barracks. Showed us how to do the sit ups properly. etc... Trained us on the use weapon. Told us for the ARP s .your allowed fire this way.. thought it was only one way with the bap.. whilst ya sandbag is a term of disgust.. at the ways things are. And the missed potential of the reserve..It's no wonder people leave.. so no my friend.. I will not show respect for an organisation that does nothing for Ireland except drain it of its financial resources. .yes I am an ex mp.. proud of the people I worked with both rdf and reg. But jaysus what is it all about.. could the pdf cadre note doing something else. The moneys spend could have gone to hospital's

Ya brought for runs. Because only PDF pti s can train the troops. So they had us run around the barracks. Showed us how to do the sit ups properly. etc... Trained us on the use weapon. Told us for the ARP s .your allowed fire this way.. thought it was only one way with the bap.. whilst ya sandbag is a term of disgust.. at the ways things are. And the missed potential of the reserve..It's no wonder people leave.. so no my friend.. I will not show respect for an organisation that does nothing for Ireland except drain it of its financial resources. .yes I am an ex mp.. proud of the people I worked with both rdf and reg. But jaysus what is it all about.. could the pdf cadre note doing something else. The moneys spend could have gone to hospital's

The RDF PTIs can run people as well. My mate qualified this year.

If you've no respect for the organisation in which you serve(d), then quit. It seems to be what you were aiming for. Also situps and pushups can be demonstrated by any PTI, usually willingly. They're also contained on official DF literature.

For the ARPs, just like the rifle, there are a number of different grips for any weapon. There should be sufficient examples from cadre and from the training documentation.

Also for the pistol there's the cavalry single-handed stance and the weaver two-handed stance as far as i know. I personally favour the weaver stance as I feel it allows me more stability and I can lower my centre of gravity.

The RDF PTIs can run people as well. My mate qualified this year.

If you've no respect for the organisation in which you serve(d), then quit. It seems to be what you were aiming for. Also situps and pushups can be demonstrated by any PTI, usually willingly. They're also contained on official DF literature.

For the ARPs, just like the rifle, there are a number of different grips for any weapon. There should be sufficient examples from cadre and from the training documentation.

Also for the pistol there's the cavalry single-handed stance and the weaver two-handed stance as far as i know. I personally favour the weaver stance as I feel it allows me more stability and I can lower my centre of gravity.

I'm open to correction/clarification/addition on those points by the way.

Just only by people who still have a measure of respect for the oath they took, that's my only caveat.

Thanks

There's me thinking that the rdf pti s were only qualified warmer upper and such like. Ya u would still like it if it was based on the integrated model but no they scrapped it.. but good luck to you anyway enjoy the rdf ..Rumour has it that it will be reduced to a third must be due to the non effectiveness (attendance) of a lot of its cheesedoff member's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

There are three levels of fitness trainer in the DF -

PDF Physical Training Leader (PTL) - can conduct warm-ups/cool downs, lead runs and assist PTI's. All PNCO's complete this as a module in their course.

PDF Physical Training Supervisor (PTS) - battle PT and some extra stuff such as nutrition, weights, supervising training programs

PDF Pysical Training Instructer (PTI) - responsible for running fitness tests, planning physical training, training PTL/PTS's etc etc. I know there's a lot more to it, but that's the gist of it.

RDF are the exact same if they have the quals. There should be over 100 RDF PTL's now, with the first Reservists joining a PDF course in 2005/06 and the first all RDF course in 2007. RDF with civvi quals should be receiving DF PTI quals soon enough, there's been a big push for it.

concussion wrote: »
    PDF Physical Training Supervisor (PTS) - battle PT and some extra stuff such as nutrition, weights, supervising training programs

Small point but a PTS cannot do Battle PT - they can use weights and organise circuit training. Battle PT is exclusive to PTIs.
    concussion wrote: »
    RDF with civvi quals should be receiving DF PTI quals soon enough, there's been a big push for it.
    There has been a big push for it for a long time..... and it has gone nowhere. I wouldn't hold my breath

Rumour has it that it will be reduced to a third must be due to the non effectiveness (attendance) of a lot of its cheesedoff member's

Really???

WOW!!!

And here it was me thinking that it might have had something to do with the MASSIVE, pervasive and thoroughly damning global recession, which Ireland is getting a thorough kicking from on the domestic front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Really???

WOW!!!

And here it was me thinking that it might have had something to do with the MASSIVE, pervasive and thoroughly damning global recession, which Ireland is getting a thorough kicking from on the domestic front.

its somewhat off topic - but don't only about a third of the strength of the RDF qualify for the grat? while thats not a perfect measure of 'effectiveness', its not going to be that far off.

if only a third of those in the organisation achieve the organisations own benchmark for effectiveness, doesn't reducing the organisation by two thirds make sense?

Look the fca/rdf was a great concept. But if young people couldn't be arsed to turn up for training. Getting their hours up. Then it means they're not motivated and that's down to poor leadership.. . they (the Defence Forces) could have ran pti and integrated courses years ago..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The reality is that not enough resources are put into FCA/Reserve training and haven't been since the end of the LDF in the 1940's. There should be induction with a 16 week course identical to the recruit training foolowed up with weekane and annual camps. Facilities should be available to partake in other courses on a modular basis. The lions share of the Defence vote is taken up by the PDF and the notion of building up reserves is seen as an expensive luxury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement