Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Shooting Beginner Advise Required

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

seye wrote: »
    Well, the UK since you are checking.

I am checking.

The discussion of illegal activities is prohibited, and its the mods responsibility to ensure that no such talk be allowed. Boards.ie may seem overly "PC" to alot of new and regular users however this is not born out of some over bearing moderators feeling the need to control and steer all conversations in a direction they see fit. It comes from Boards.ie (the site) being around long enough to know that some conversations/comments may lead to court cases, lawsuits, etc.

The owners and admins that run the site have to safeguard the site above all else. Thats NO reflection on you or your commments. We have alot of users from abroad and they discuss some topics that are classed as illegal here in Ireland, but until we get a definitive answer from the user we have to stop the comments.

You are in the UK where laws surrounding firearms differ. Air rifles, age limits, etc. Now that you have explained it, thats the matter put to bed.
    You seem to be saying nobody can use a firearm in Ireland without a certificate. There are a number of places in Ireland that make a living from office types firing shotguns without certificates. You do need to be 14 to submit an FCA1, but you don't need a cert to shoot under instruction.

Anyone under 14 cannot legally own a firearm unless under the supervision of a fully licensed person and unless they have possession of a training certificate. The company events/ranges you speak of are still around and of course you are correct that they run these day shooting events. They have the necessary insurance, coachs, etc, and you are also right that anyone can attend these. I will not speculate on the age limit of the places as i'm not 100% sure if there is a legal age limit or if it is set by the range itself. The two i have attended that allow these sort of events will not allow anyone under 14 to shoot.

All your points are valid and if this was explained in your opening post there would be no need to ask you. However your statement of "My 7 year old daughter uses one............" without any description of the location or details around this lead to my posting. This is not a personal "vendetta" or anything of the sort. We all know (here and in the UK) how things work in real life. How there are laws that the Gardai/Police force allow to go "unchecked", but there is a difference between what is done and what is legally allowed to be spoken about, especially on a very public and open forum.
    I think you'll find here in Republic of Ireland that under the legislation anyone under 14 cannot use a firearm at all. It used to be 16 until recently. At 14 they can now apply for a Training Licence on someone elses firearm.

Quite right. Under the forum charter a mod can ask or make a statement on a thread for the purpose of clarifying a point of law. It is not a reflection on the OP and it is in no way an accussation against the OP. In some cases its to clarify a point in others its simply asking the OP for clarification.

This is not a chastisement, warning or anything of the sort. I felt the need for this long explanation for not only your benefit, but also the benefit of others that may read this thread.

I hope thats clears up any misunderstandings.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Also my apologies to the OP. I do not want to derail your thread, but felt it necessary to explain all the above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 seye

Ezridax wrote: »
    I hope thats clears up any misunderstandings.

I think you'll find any misunderstanding was yours. My failure to offer full details on an ancillary comment that my daughter does not own a gun and merely used one under instruction in another country seems to have green lit a free for all of ill informed lecturing. Instead of blaming me for your presumptions why not just say it made you uncomfortable in your role as a mod for whatever reason and delete it? Alternatively PM can be used to contact a poster to do your checking without drawing attention away from the thread. Either way would have been fine.

seye wrote: »
    I think you'll find any misunderstanding was yours.

Correct. Hence my asking for further explanation. You understood what you posted i did not.
    ........... seems to have green lit a free for all of ill informed lecturing.

Nobody is lecturing you merely offering you the law as it stands.
    Instead of blaming me for your presumptions why not just say it made you uncomfortable in your role as a mod for whatever reason and delete it?

I am not "blaming" you for anything. There is no need for deletion, and especially now that the matter has been cleared up.
    Alternatively PM can be used to contact a poster to do your checking without drawing attention away from the thread. Either way would have been fine.

If i were to PM you and seek clarification i would still ask you to post a message or post a message myself for all to see. As said previously this is an open and public forum that is read by many people and the clearer a picture that is portrayed for all to read the less grief everyone gets. There isn't an issue and now that you have clarified that as someone that does not live in this country you are not held to the same standards/laws we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Great clip on Fieldsports channel anout Shotgun fitting.

!!
    july in Northern Ireland Game Fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Seve,
    EZ isn't trying to be an @$$ or pick a fight, just following orders, which he must do so ever since he went to the dark side!
    250px-Darksiders_btm.jpg
    He's fair and he really knows his stuff. You'll find that he is a great source of knowledge, aside from board rules:D.

I am guilty in this one too - I am in the states - my comment was not intended for Ireland.

Just the other day I went shooting trap and skeet and there was a troop there - of girl scouts! All were kids, very well supervised, and sooooooo happy to be out with their fathers and troop leaders.

They first marched them all around and taught them safety with wooden guns - funniest things I have ever seen. They were then given a 28ga (I think) with Dad's and troop leaders at their side, literally, to shoot the beginner field - straight away's.

Anyhow, for us outside, it is important to be clear whenever giving advice, hints, or even just feedback.

God forbid someone inadvertently reads a post, assumes we're talking about Ireland, and then gets into trouble. Whatever about taking advice from strangers online or legalities, if someone gets hurt, especially a kid, because I forgot a footnote, shame on me.

Safety first, even online.

Slan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

9 mins in, a very informative clip from an expert
    (sorry I said July when I should have said June)

Advertisement