Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loan for land

• 26-07-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone know are banks giving out loans for farm land? Couple of fields(22 acres) for sale running right at the back of our farm yard. Afraid a loan is my only option at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Not a bother.10 or 20 per cent up front though and expect them to factor in a drop in value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Most prepared to lend money on say 75% bases of what they value land at. nice interest rate aswell to go with it. Why bother buying and slaving for the rest of your days. Rent it, much better for your business unless you want to become a speculator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anyone know are banks giving out loans for farm land? Couple of fields(22 acres) for sale running right at the back of our farm yard. Afraid a loan is my only option at the minute?
    I was at an AIB presentation earlier this year. As bob charles said, they will look for security and at least 20% of your own money up front or else your own farm as security. You will need detailed cash flows for your farm at present and show how the land will increase your profitability. A history of dealing with the bank would be helpful but not essential.

Yes they are giving out money but now they also will want to know when they are getting it back. Land bounding you rarely comes up so it is attractive (I think on average a farm in ireland is sold only once every 100 years).

I'd say talk to your manager and advisor and accountant if you dont feel you are able to do those figures and they will tell you if it is realistic to buy.

Best of luck if you decide to go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sprouty

I've been An AIB customer since I started farming about 6 years ago. Never had much dealings with them-just the usual current A/Cfor the farm, small deposit A/C & mortgage elsewhere.
    Farm beside me came up for sale this year & I found AIB very uninterested- they went through the motions but not really into doing the business. A friend recomended Ulster-Id never delt with them before- i couldnt believe the contrast ! The Ulster man was a sound down to earth guy who came up with a much better rate than AIB- he couldnt have been more helpfull.

Didnt buy the place though as teh price was beyond my reach....oh well-maybe Im better off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Alot better off maybe, the price of land was way overvalued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I read there in the indo on Tues that some lad in Laois (I think) who retired and sold his farm in 2005, bought it back a few weeks ago for exactly half the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sprouty wrote: »
    I've been An AIB customer since I started farming about 6 years ago. Never had much dealings with them-just the usual current A/Cfor the farm, small deposit A/C & mortgage elsewhere.
    Farm beside me came up for sale this year & I found AIB very uninterested- they went through the motions but not really into doing the business. A friend recomended Ulster-Id never delt with them before- i couldnt believe the contrast ! The Ulster man was a sound down to earth guy who came up with a much better rate than AIB- he couldnt have been more helpfull.

Didnt buy the place though as teh price was beyond my reach....oh well-maybe Im better off !
    think aib are crap tbh , i was thinking of moving to them last year , they came out went through the motions - just to say they had been out etc then said they had no interest in me:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

u must have forgot to wine and dine them :D isnt that what used to go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

u must have forgot to wine and dine them :D isnt that what used to go on...
    well when they came out to me , i had been stood up by my own bank twice in the weeks leading up to the visit and the aib guy said at least we came out... :o but he was offereing nothing , now that i have made a big profit they will all be after me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i wonder will rabbobank enter the irish market in a proper fashion anytime soon , they only offer savings accounts at the moment and have no high street banks , anytime you hear a report from the dairy industry in new zealand , rabbobank are mentioned so they must lend money to farmers over there , they aint broke like all our banks and are cash rich , you would think thier is a market for a proper functioning bank right now more than ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i wonder will rabbobank enter the irish market in a proper fashion anytime soon , they only offer savings accounts at the moment and have no high street banks , anytime you hear a report from the dairy industry in new zealand , rabbobank are mentioned so they must lend money to farmers over there , they aint broke like all our banks and are cash rich , you would think thier is a market for a proper functioning bank right now more than ever

ACC, no high street branches though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Muckit wrote: »
    I read there in the indo on Tues that some lad in Laois (I think) who retired and sold his farm in 2005, bought it back a few weeks ago for exactly half the price
    my local vet sold 7 acres for building houses 2007 for eight hundred thousand and now he wants trying to buy it back for one hundred thousand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

my local vet sold 7 acres for building houses 2007 for eight hundred thousand and now he wants trying to buy it back for one hundred thousand.
    He must one of the very few that didn't take the banks advice and invest his money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Banksa will lend at 5.5%
    Farm land is the new --- RENTAL PROPERTY
    Dont forget to budget making capital re payments after tax -bumer

Advertisement