Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking my custom elsewhere

• 26-07-2011 11:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had a deal sorted with a certain Limerick hotel, €109 2bb and 1 dinner,got a phone call today to say rate should have been €159 as it was a "rugby weekend" .Oh, but might be able to fit us in some other weekend...

Our group will be taking our custom elsewhere and won't be back to Limerick in a hurry. Limerick's loss is Waterford's gain - same deal €99 in Faithlegg House hotel. Plus all we will spend on somewhere else for dinner the other night, shopping, treatments and a few drinks.

Greed doesn't do Limerick any favours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You may think you're hitting them, but if it's a rugby weekend they'll sell it. There isn't a room in the city empty on HK nights.

It's not great business practice though. I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thats really more an issue with the hotel than Limerick itself to be fair

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We stayed there last year and would probably have come back next year again. 7 people x 3 years not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Had a deal sorted with a certain Limerick hotel, €109 2bb and 1 dinner,got a phone call today to say rate should have been €159 as it was a "rugby weekend" .Oh, but might be able to fit us in some other weekend...

Our group will be taking our custom elsewhere and won't be back to Limerick in a hurry. Limerick's loss is Waterford's gain - same deal €99 in Faithlegg House hotel. Plus all we will spend on somewhere else for dinner the other night, shopping, treatments and a few drinks.

When you say you 'had a deal sorted',had you made the reservation?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Yep.

Well thats bad form then out of them. That is greedy especially since you had it reserved.

Id write a letter to the manager. You might get a free night out of it down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

what is the point of this thread? ranting and raving is -> way. send the hotel an email don't bore us with your weekend away breaks.

To be honest, I am so disgusted with them that I wouldn't be ar*sed with a letter.Prefer to deal with places that play straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well done, you made the correct decision. and i live in the so-called "sports mad city" And that "rugby weekend" bubble is about to burst it may not be long until the hotels will be begging you to return.
    Enjoy Waterford, far better anyway, TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

seriously OP i agree 100% and fair play. but dont give up on limerick. you can still have a good night here. write the letter and get your free night. in fact mention in the letter you are willing to go public. if you have a confirmaton on your email even better mail it on and show them. get your free night and enjoy the city. never do business with them again but get what you deserve.

i dont know if its against the rules to mention who they are. but it should be ok as companies that are bad for limerick should be run out of town. no place for them. where is this hotel??? is it near the shannon bridge by any chance or is it near the abbey bridge??

just dont mention the name in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Definitely well worth mentioning OP. Unfortunately Limerick has struggled with an image problem ever since the expression 'stab city' was coined. Albeit the expression is sustained by ignorance and tired cliché it's still a problem. I'm sure the powers that be don't want to see conning people added to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

forget an email to the manager, call Live 95 or Joe Duffy. GUARANTEE you'll get a reaction VERY quickly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

they shouldnt have done that but a quick phone call to the manager could have sorted this out. posters amaze me by saying "enjoy waterford far better anyway". honestly that is unreal. ring the manager and get it sorted and enjoy your weeked.Limerick is a great place and we should be promoting it instead of telling people go somewhere else. This really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Well; if you're going to post let us know the name of the hotel or it's defining feature/ location so that wecan all avoid it; or even better give us the managers email address here so we can email them with your storyand ask them to clarifytbeir booking and pricing ethics for prebooked customers.

No point b*^ing into a void... Positive action!!
    Plus gives all hotels in L a bad reputation

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

To be honest, I am so disgusted with them that I wouldn't be ar*sed with a letter.Prefer to deal with places that play straight.

You couldn't be arsed writing an email to the manager, even though you might get an apology/compensation but you went to all the effort of starting an utterly pointless thread, branding the entire city just because of one bad customer service experience?

I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Although I agree the Faithlegg hotel is quite nice Waterford is not a pick on Limerick and what it offers nearby.

I take it you had a verbal agreement with them and a booking on their system. Did you book over the phone or internet? If you have an internet e-mail then you have a binding contract on price.

Reservations people have a rooms budget and must make their margins. In your case they know they wont make it so want you to pay more. Boo hoo on them. The manager, I would be confident of, probably doesn't even know about this. It's easy to get the managers name and e-mail address. If you call up and ask for the manager they will ask who you are and what you want and you will be put onto a duty manager most likely. So call up and ask for the General Managers name and e-mail address(normally they dont ask why you want it, always worked for me and if they do ask say you want to send through some information) and send your e-mail.

Live 95fm and Joe Duffy. Give me a break. If you want the hotel to take you seriously you stay away from dragging them into the gutter press. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Sorry to hear about your rip off.

You see limerick does not need tourists, our city is booming, take your cash elsewhere. And have good holiday. ;)

I would ring hotel manager though. Its not right to up the price of hotel room AFTER reservation.

All around the world it happens hotel rooms put up their prices when there is an event on. But after you made reservation is just bad customer service.

That hotel now has lost you as customer for life.
    Limericks loss at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ALWAYS complain to a manager. that's what the complaints procedure is there for. If you were a customer of mine and came to me with the info you've put on this thread, I'd have sorted it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

What hotel was it? I'd follow it up, if an agreement is made on a price and the reservation is made, then is that not a legally binding contract? (Correct me if I'm mistaken but I'd imagine there is a contract here?)

By the way, should this not be in Consumer Issues or somewhere? I fail to see why this is in the Limerick City forum??
    Greed doesn't do any place any favours. However, you were not messed around by Limerick, you were messed around by one business in Limerick. One of thousands of businesses. As a Limerick man I can't help but feel a small bit annoyed at the way you have put your situation to us, while I acknowledge you were messed around, and I hope you get compensated somehow, I'd kindly ask that you not to portray the actions of a small group of people employed by one business as somehow being representative of the county as a whole.

You couldn't be arsed writing an email to the manager, even though you might get an apology/compensation but you went to all the effort of starting an utterly pointless thread, branding the entire city just because of one bad customer service experience?

I don't get it.

what utter bulls...e. why should this man write an email/letter to anyone.
    he was the customer,he had the cash,and cash is king.
    this is no isolated incident in Limerick with just one hotel,this rubbish goes on all the time,we all know it but instead of joining in the chorus some chose to lampoon the individual who highlighted it.
    F.Y.I. this practice is not confined to hotel beds,it also happens with restaurants,drink prices and petrol/diesel.
    this will only change when people vote with their feet,as this person has done.
    My advice, if he is emailing anyone,it should be all his friends and anyone he knows telling them to run a mile from this rip-off culture.
    Once again, enjoy Waterford......:)

P.S. apologies if this person is a she,just used "he" to make the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Do you think you've enough 'thanks' in this thread McLove? :P

Oh I hope he thanks me!!!:pac:

washman3 wrote: »
    what utter bulls...e. why should this man write an email/letter to anyone.
    he was the customer,he had the cash,and cash is king.

:rolleyes: Yeah, why should the OP bother to do something constructive like actually stand up to the hotel and demand an explanation for their hike.

this is no isolated incident in Limerick with just one hotel,this rubbish goes on all the time,we all know it but instead of joining in the chorus some chose to lampoon the individual who highlighted it.
    I did not lampoon the OP, I merely pointed out the most logical, adult, and least spineless way of dealing with their problem, IMO. I also don't get why the OP is using one lousy customer services experience to blast the entire city for the rest of their days. OP, would you be over on the Galway forum blustering if you'd booked a room in a hotel in Galway this week (race week) and they suddenly decided to hike the rate up, or are you trying to tell me that it never happens on the week of Galway Races? I use Galway as just one comparable example, I imagine there are similar stories to be told around the Jazz festival in Cork, HC Rugby in Dublin, etc etc. I know for a fact that the weekend that Take That played in Croke Park recently, hotel rooms were at a premium and the prices were obscene. Should we all stop going to Dublin now too? :rolleyes:

F.Y.I. this practice is not confined to hotel beds,it also happens with restaurants,drink prices and petrol/diesel.
    this will only change when people vote with their feet,as this person has done.
    That is not the only way to solve the problem of rogue pricing. Asking to speak to management/making a formal complaint is a much more practical and effective way of resolving such an issue, thus allowing the company to offer redress to the offended individual. The OP here did not even give the Hotel in question the benefit of the doubt, they "couldn't be arsed" following what would be considered basic protocol, but instead chose to come here to spit vitriol on the entire city. If the OP had complained to the Hotel Manager and still been treated poorly, then they would have my sympathy regarding that issue but I agree with other poster who point out that this is a topic more suited to the Consumer Issues forum, it is not specific to Limerick City.

My advice, if he is emailing anyone,it should be all his friends and anyone he knows telling them to run a mile from this rip-off culture

Ahh yes, that most Irish solution to an Irish problem- when you have a problem with something, don't dare tell the service providers how upset you are with them, but make damn sure to blacken their name behind their back.
    Very mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Was going to post here but Alaskimo pretty much summed up my thoughts perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

source wrote: »
    Was going to post here but Alaskimo pretty much summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Samesies. Email the manager OP.

There is only one thing worse than the scum operating this rip-off culture,be it in Limerick,Galway,Dublin or Cork and that is their apologists.

there is another thread in Limerick City forum at the moment, titled limerick businesses closed.

Ring any bells folks.???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There is only one thing worse than the scum operating this rip-off culture,be it in Limerick,Galway,Dublin or Cork and that is their apologists.

there is another thread in Limerick City forum at the moment, titled limerick businesses closed.

No apologists here, Everyone here is unimpressed with the OP, but here's proper ways of going about things. The way we're advocating is the correct way. Snyping to friends and families about it is not the way of going about it.

It's times like this that a facepalm smiley would be brilliant

I'm making my point for the third time. I am NOT apologising for the rip-off culture, I'm offering rational, practical ways to tackle it, as opposed to just bitching and bad-mouthing. Rip-off culture bothers me greatly, I travel around the country extensively so I get to compare prices of goods and services nationally. If I have a problem or feel I'm being ripped off, I point it out to staff/management. If the price is adjusted, or a reasonable explanation for the discrepancy is provided, I'm happy. If I get no answer or poor customer service, then I bring my business elsewhere.

I don't think I can make myself any clearer.

It's times like this that a facepalm smiley would be brilliant

I'm making my point for the third time. I am NOT apologising for the rip-off culture, I'm offering rational, practical ways to tackle it, as opposed to just bitching and bad-mouthing. Rip-off culture bothers me greatly, I travel around the country extensively so I get to compare prices of goods and services nationally. If I have a problem or feel I'm being ripped off, I point it out to staff/management. If the price is adjusted, or a reasonable explanation for the discrepancy is provided, I'm happy. If I get no answer or poor customer service, then I bring my business elsewhere.

I don't think I can make myself any clearer.

Fair enough, see your point.
    but i still think the OP was right to raise it on BOARDS.IE
    my point is we should'nt have to go pointing out obvious rip-offs and seeking explanations. we need a proper watchdog to control this.
    this kind of culture is specifically designed to prey on people's immediate needs when they have no obvious alternative.

Fair enough, see your point.
    but i still think the OP was right to raise it on BOARDS.IE
    my point is we should'nt have to go pointing out obvious rip-offs and seeking explanations. we need a proper watchdog to control this.
    this kind of culture is specifically designed to prey on people's immediate needs when they have no obvious alternative.

Eeehhh... Is standing up for yourself and making a complaint through the appropriate channels not a plainly obvious alternative?

You say that consumers NEED a watchdog- ie: another government funded, unnecessary drain on public finance. Are we living in such a disastrous Nanny State now that people simply can't cope with the trauma of making a formal, reasonable complaint without someone holding their hand every step of the way?

I agree with you that the OP was well within their rights to discuss their experience on boards.ie, but perhaps it would have been better received in the appropriate forum.

• Advertisement

Eeehhh... Is standing up for yourself and making a complaint through the appropriate channels not a plainly obvious alternative?

You say that consumers NEED a watchdog- ie: another government funded, unnecessary drain on public finance. Are we living in such a disastrous Nanny State now that people simply can't cope with the trauma of making a formal complaint

a single person making a complaint will, 99% of the time, be fed a load of bull and laughed out the door, that is if he is lucky enough to ever get to meet the actual person in charge.
    very simple,report rip-offs and overcharging, but will it be dealt with? doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement