Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking my custom elsewhere

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Do you think you've enough 'thanks' in this thread McLove? :P

Oh I hope he thanks me!!!:pac:

Better than doing this everytime i like a post

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I've done a bit of digging, and found that the practice of increasing hotel prices is not illegal, and is in fact regulated for.

Under the Tourist Traffic Act 1939, Hotels have to set a cap for their prices, this price is the hotels standard price for the hotel room. The hotel is then free to lower the price of hotel rooms during quiet periods. So the ads we see for €69 rooms are actually reduced prices and not the standard prices for the hotel room. A hotel is then free to bring the price back up to the standard higher price when demand increases.

On what happened to the op, the hotel is in breach of the contract made between the op and the hotel. The hotel made an invitation to treat, by advertising the price, the OP agreed to this price which made an agreement.

If the Op had paid for the rooms or paid a deposit. Then a legally binding contract was in force and the hotel could not change the price as that would be changing the conditions of the contract.

So to summarise, what happened to the OP was wrong, the hotel changing their prices at times of high demand is perfectly fine, and while people may have a moral objection to the practice, there is nothing wrong with doing so in a legal sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

source wrote: »
    I've done a bit of digging, and found that the practice of increasing hotel prices is not illegal, and is in fact regulated for.

Under the Tourist Traffic Act 1939, Hotels have to set a cap for their prices, this price is the hotels standard price for the hotel room. The hotel is then free to lower the price of hotel rooms during quiet periods. So the ads we see for €69 rooms are actually reduced prices and not the standard prices for the hotel room. A hotel is then free to bring the price back up to the standard higher price when demand increases.

On what happened to the op, the hotel is in breach of the contract made between the op and the hotel. The hotel made an invitation to treat, by advertising the price, the OP agreed to this price which made an agreement.

If the Op had paid for the rooms or paid a deposit. Then a legally binding contract was in force and the hotel could not change the price as that would be changing the conditions of the contract.

So to summarise, what happened to the OP was wrong, the hotel changing their prices at times of high demand is perfectly fine, and while people may have a moral objection to the practice, there is nothing wrong with doing so in a legal sense.

with this in mind, I'm of the opinion that the OP has a legal right to the price he was given, IF the booking was secured using a credit card. I'd take it up with management again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

zuroph wrote: »
    with this in mind, I'm of the opinion that the OP has a legal right to the price he was given, IF the booking was secured using a credit card. I'd take it up with management again.
    To be honest, I am so disgusted with them that I wouldn't be ar*sed with a letter.Prefer to deal with places that play straight.

I think the OP isn't arsed in taking it up with management.

but arsed enough to post about it elsewhere. it could be some part-timer in making a mistake, these things should always be taken to management, they've just lost regular customers and dont know why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ok, update. Rang hotel, got on to "duty manager". Was told original price quoted was a "mistake" and invited to come some other non-rugby weekend for €139( exactly the price for a weekend on the website,no deal at all).

For those who think I shouldn't have posted this, don't see why not.Or are we only allowed post nice things about places??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Can you name the hotel. I'd be pretty sure if the rest of us started sending emails to them they'd pretty soon realise they have more than you on their hands. Even if it doesn't get you your €109 weekend, it makes the point that they can't just do what they like.

ok, update. Rang hotel, got on to "duty manager". Was told original price quoted was a "mistake" and invited to come some other non-rugby weekend for €139( exactly the price for a weekend on the website,no deal at all).

For those who think I shouldn't have posted this, don't see why not.Or are we only allowed post nice things about places??

had you secured the bookign with a credit card? and how soon after were you called back to change price?

Its not that people dont think you should post it at all, its that if you want to complain about it, then at least complain to them as well. Irish people for too long have failed to complain when service is bad, and instead give out about it afterwards.

If they've taken a credit card to confirm the booking, I'd say you've a case under contract law.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Booking made last Feb,the story is that a "trainee" gave us last year's rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

was a deposit taken? did you give credit card details? do you have an email or printed proof of the first rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think most people took exception to you writing the whole city off because of one hotel. Punish the hotel by all means but give the city a chance. The hotel seem to have been totally out of line with the way they treated you.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I fully agree with going elsewhere when service isn't up to scratch OP. I also you were quite right to highlight it. On a more positive note, I know people who have been to Faithlegg and found it absolutely beautiful so hopefully you and your friends will enjoy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

you are entitled to post the truth here and you have definately done that IMO. you may have upset some vested interests and bleeding hearts but so what. Reading your posts i have failed to see where you actually badmouth Limerick City,your gripe is with a certain hotel and if it was me, i would actually name the hotel. having said that all hotels in Limerick operate this rip-off practice for "rugby weekend"
    as a poster pointed out the hotel has done nothing illegal here,and he is correct, but it is downright sneaky,wrong and totally unacceptable practice.
    Remember our bankers and politicans also did nothing illegal and look at our country now.
    Well done for highlighting this rip-off culture on boards.ie and feel free to highlight future wrong-doing.
    Once again, enjoy Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

I have no issue with you posting about your experience but you indicated that you no interest in contacting the hotel. In general, my view is if you believe you got poor service or ripped off there's no pint in ranting oin the internet about it, contact the relevant business.

BTW, you're naive if you think this only happens in hotels in Limerick.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

washman3 wrote: »
    Reading your posts i have failed to see where you actually badmouth Limerick City

Our group will be taking our custom elsewhere and won't be back to Limerick in a hurry. Limerick's loss is Waterford's gain
    Greed doesn't do Limerick any favours.

I take exception to being referred to as a "bleeding heart" or having vested interests. I am actually from Sligo but lived in Limerick for a year and loved every minute I spent there. Living in Dublin now but still pop back to visit friends and I check in here every now and again to keep up with the all the news. If this thread was posted in the Sligo/Galway/Dublin/Wherever forum my reply would be the exact same. As Phog pointed out, the OP would be naive to think this practice is limited to Limerick. I'd be interested to know what the craic was with hotel prices in Waterford a few weeks back when the Tall Ships were in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

OP, you say the booking was made last feb, did you actually make the booking and give a credit card to secure if or for a deposit, or did you just receive a quote in feb.
    Or did you make the booking and say something like I'll call back with my credit card and by giving your credit card confirm your booking.
    Did you get a booking confirmation number from the hotel in feb?
    Did you get email confirmation for your booking at any stage?

Id be really interested to know the full details of how this situation came about for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If this thread was posted in the Sligo/Galway/Dublin/Wherever forum my reply would be the exact same. As Phog pointed out, the OP would be naive to think this practice is limited to Limerick. I'd be interested to know what the craic was with hotel prices in Waterford a few weeks back when the Tall Ships were in town?

OP is not naive,or never suggested that this practice is confined to Limerick we all know that this practice is countrywide. the hotel that attempted to rip him off happens to be in Limerick,if it was elsewhere he would most likely posted his grieveance also.
    we can take it for certain that this also happened during the Tall Ships in Waterford also,some poster may confirm this. But for now his group is heading to Waterford because of the way they were treated by a Limerick hotel. If the same happens to them next year in W/ford i expect them to book elsewhere.
    Its called voting with your feet.

F.Y.I. i live in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

There is only one thing worse than the scum operating this rip-off culture,be it in Limerick,Galway,Dublin or Cork and that is their apologists.

What apologists? Point them out please with relevant quotes. I haven't seen one apologist, all I have seen is people question why this was posted in the Limerick forum, people are defending Limerick because this thread almost implies that Limerick is rife with rip off culture, people are 100% entitled to point out that this is a general national trend, this discussion has nothing to do with Limerick, it is a national problem.

washman3 wrote:
    there is another thread in Limerick City forum at the moment, titled limerick businesses closed.

Ring any bells folks.???:D
    Smiley face??? Yeah the job losses caused by the recession here are fairly hilarious alright :rolleyes: That thread and this thread have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and what you said above is ignorant, uneducated and extremely childish. The vast majority of those businesses, were not closed because they were ripping off customers, hell I'd nearly say none of them were.
    you are entitled to post the truth here and you have definately done that IMO. you may have upset some vested interests and bleeding hearts but so what.
    Ok you're just being a dick here.

Are you being intentionally dense here? No person has said you shouldn't have posted this, they are saying that you shouldn't have posted it here. Not one person has claimed that you should only be allowed post nice things. The problem here is that you have chosen to post this in the Limerick forum, you have taken something that hotels the world over do and by posting it in the Limerick forum, that implies that you are saying that its almost exclusively a Limerick problem.

I'm starting to question your motivations in this thread.

Why yet have you not named the hotel? If you want to hurt them then name them, there's a lot of hotels in Limerick.

Why post this in the Limerick forum? Why restrict this to about 5% of the people who use boards?

Why not post in Consumer Affairs where you can get the input and feedback of users from all over the country?

It's pretty simple; This is NOT a Limerick issue, it's a general consumer issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The weekend wasn't even a Rugby weekend last Feb when you booked, and only became one in the last few weeks when the HEC fixtures were announced.

This is out an out gouging, and the hotel should be named and shamed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: We're going around in circles now.

Byhookorbycrook, deal with the hotel management directly. If you had the booking confirmed/a deposit paid, then the ball's in your court. You already know where to find the Consumer Issues forum, but to be quite honest it's Ranting & Raving you should have gone to with this.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement