Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just signed up, connection oddities.

Options
  • 27-07-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

So i signed up to eircom broadband, maybe 4 weeks ago, i got a text from eircom on the 15th saying my line was active, broadband may take 10 days to begin working. I was previously with vodafone and my internet with them was working up to today, i knew when i plugged out the router or restarted it the vodafone service would cease. I called eircom today (the 26th) and asked was the broadband working, the woman i spoke to was very helpful and told me that the broadband was activated today.

So i went and restarted my router, a vodafone hg556a, using this post and my router's manual i configured the router to work for eircom. Now i'm on the eircom connection, however it's not working correctly. I can connect to steam, play left 4 dead 2 online with a ping of 60, access gmail and boards.ie...however that seems to be all i can do. I cant access the guide linked in the other post, log into google talk (even though i can log into gmail) or any other information relating to this so i am very stuck. It seems to me like some protocols are being allowed work and some aren't but i don't know enough about networking to know exactly what the problem is or indeed how to fix it, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

aeonfusion wrote: »
    So i signed up to eircom broadband, maybe 4 weeks ago, i got a text from eircom on the 15th saying my line was active, broadband may take 10 days to begin working. I was previously with vodafone and my internet with them was working up to today, i knew when i plugged out the router or restarted it the vodafone service would cease. I called eircom today (the 26th) and asked was the broadband working, the woman i spoke to was very helpful and told me that the broadband was activated today.

So i went and restarted my router, a vodafone hg556a, using this post and my router's manual i configured the router to work for eircom. Now i'm on the eircom connection, however it's not working correctly. I can connect to steam, play left 4 dead 2 online with a ping of 60, access gmail and boards.ie...however that seems to be all i can do. I cant access the guide linked in the other post, log into google talk (even though i can log into gmail) or any other information relating to this so i am very stuck. It seems to me like some protocols are being allowed work and some aren't but i don't know enough about networking to know exactly what the problem is or indeed how to fix it, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Hi aeonfusion,

Thanks for posting.

If you PM your home phone number, I can check your broadband sync and see how you're connecting on our servers.

Sounds like you're using some applications /or games and you may need to look at your software, as well as your firewall(s) and anti-virus setup.

You might also look at the setup of your modem. Ensure you're using eircom's DNS servers, and lower the firewall setting on your 3rd party router.

You may need to check these settings with the manufacturers or vendors. Though send me your broadband phone number and I can take a look at your connection results on your eircom broadband.

Cheers,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Heh, good news i'd say, i left the router off all night and when i tried it out this morning it was working perfectly. So sorry for making you read all that when it was fixable. But thank you so much for the quick and helpful response :) Not used to this sort of treatment coming from vodafone ;) If you still want me to pm you the phone number that's no problem, but the line seems to be working perfectly now. Again, thank you Ant, your help is genuninely appriciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Heh, good news i'd say, i left the router off all night and when i tried it out this morning it was working perfectly. So sorry for making you read all that when it was fixable. But thank you so much for the quick and helpful response :) Not used to this sort of treatment coming from vodafone ;) If you still want me to pm you the phone number that's no problem, but the line seems to be working perfectly now. Again, thank you Ant, your help is genuninely appriciated :)

Any time aeonfusion,

Appreciate the comments. Hope everything is fine.

Let me know if any problems,

cheers and hope we get a couple more good days of this unusual Sunny weather!!

Ant

Advertisement