Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things To Do

Options
  • 27-07-2011 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

HI Guys
    myself and herself and thinking of heading to donegal town for a few days in the coming weeks
    can anyone give me any hints and tips on what to do in and around the town

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Donegal Town is lovely to walk around and just potter about having coffee if the weather is nice although the shops aren't very good. There is Donegal 'Castle' it is really small and not really a castle but it could pass time. There are nice places to eat there, especially a lovely Italian restaurant called Bella Donna. There is the Craft Village just outside DT. That is very pleasant and will kill an hour for you. After that, it's get out of the town and either drive to any one of the fabulous beaches near by or join one of the hill walks if you are feeling energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A couple of older threads you could have a read through - here, here, here and here

OOh forgot the waterbus. It is nice a really nice trip but unprofessionally managed. Be warned - when we went, they played Daniel O'Donnell and Titanic music :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Tried this in another thread but there wasn't much (any) action so I might add it in here:

I’m away home in October for a week or so and I think a spin up that part of the country is called for. I’ve been up there a fair bit before so know my way round all the sights etc and I’ve also seen the map that was done on this (kudos by the way), but what I want to know is, if there is anything in particular I should look out for from the 5th October to the 12th? Particularly round Carrick direction as that’s where I’ll be based, but we have the car so it’s no problem going a bit further afield.

Also, can someone recommend a decent pub in Carrick/Kilcar for a pint or 2? And perhaps this one is a long shot, but is there anywhere there that do their own beer? Kinda a thing I have to try the local stuff and avoid the usual suspects. Though like I said, a long shot.

Thanks in advance!

A bit of a drag from Carrick, but Dicey O'Reilly's pub in Ballyshannon has it's own micro brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

What? Microbrewery? Does it brew its own stuff?

Now I shall be singing Dicey Reilly all day, she has taken to the sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Hmmm a bit out of the way alright, but perhaps a call in on the way up be done if time allows. Are we talking bottles or draught?

Anywhere else I should be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the castle in donegal town sells red hugh ale (draught), dont know who makes it for them but its a nice change from the usual stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

annascott wrote: »
    A bit of a drag from Carrick, but Dicey O'Reilly's pub in Ballyshannon has it's own micro brewery.

They haven't begun brewing yet, afaik. The pub however is full of Irish craft beer, one of the few places in Donegal you can find decent beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is there any heritage railways around, i heard of one in finntown

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

is there any heritage railways around, i heard of one in finntown
    Details of the one in Fintown here

There is also a little gem over in Raphoe which you should visit if the weather is favorable. Fantastic gardens with a 3.5km railway line.

Advertisement