Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old wakes too early.

Options
  • 27-07-2011 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    We have an 8 month old boy who goes to bed every night at 8 ish. and wakes up crying most mornings at 4.30.
    We tried giving him a bottle and putting him back down but he only drinks an ounce and refuses to go back to sleep.
    We also tried keeping him awake longer in the evening so he might sleep longer in the morning but when he gets tired you could swing him by the toe and he will still sleep.
    Is there anything we can do as we are both wrecked tired. Half 4 is just too early.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This might sound a bit mad, but you could try putting him to bed earlier. Sleep induces sleep in little people so sometimes this works.

Also, he is probably teething. You could try giving him calpol when he wakes up before you give him the bottle, might help settle him too.

If not, I would say to start putting yourself to bed earlier until he gets out of this routine, and he will! Babies routines change as frequently as the Irish weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Is he in the room with you or on his own? Our lad didn't sleep through the night reliably until we put him in his own room at 12 months. I think our snoring was waking him up.

He did start to improve though from 9.5 months when we switched his naps to just one a day. At that point, he was up at 8, down for a nap around 12 or 1 for 2-3 hours, then up again until bedtime at 8. It took a while for him to get into the routine (he was another 4am waker) but it definitely began to improve once there was only one nap. He's two now and still goes for his midday nap for at least 2 hours and only wakes at night if he's very bad teething (I can't actually remember the last time).

When he was younger and teething (8-15 months), I have to admit that giving him Calpol or baby nurofen was as much a part of his night-time routine as putting on his pyjamas. It was either that for him or valium for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

We had this problem reciently with our 10 month old & we put him in a room on his own this did help but he still woke at about the same as yours (4 - 4:30ish) this may be harsh & i could be shot down for it but we just let him cry it out for a few nights........i don't mean leave him in histerics but if you leave him for 15 min before you go into him he will soon realise that you won't come running to him as soon as he crys ;( was reallly hard as it means you staying awake for 15 min & muting the baby monitor if the cry changes or he sounds distressed in any way by all means go into him.......but our little guy now goes down @ 8pm & sleeps till aprox 7:30am its great every now and again he wakes for a soother but nods straight back off as soon as you put it in his mouth :) Hope this Helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We had this problem reciently with our 10 month old & we put him in a room on his own this did help but he still woke at about the same as yours (4 - 4:30ish) this may be harsh & i could be shot down for it but we just let him cry it out for a few nights........i don't mean leave him in histerics but if you leave him for 15 min before you go into him he will soon realise that you won't come running to him as soon as he crys ;( was reallly hard as it means you staying awake for 15 min & muting the baby monitor if the cry changes or he sounds distressed in any way by all means go into him.......but our little guy now goes down @ 8pm & sleeps till aprox 7:30am its great every now and again he wakes for a soother but nods straight back off as soon as you put it in his mouth :) Hope this Helps :)

I'm not one for 'cry it out' methods with young babies or genuinely upset children, but you do get to a point where you have to teach them to fall back to sleep on their own. For us, we couldn't do it until after he was a year old and in his own room, but once we made that switch we would do the whole 'quick comfort and back to bed' thing that let him know we were there but also let him know he had to go to sleep in his own bed. We wouldn't have been ready to try it before 12 months, I know some people swear by it from 7 months. Personally I think that's too young and it's not recommended before 6 months, parents know what best suits their own kid.

Advertisement