Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the FOOK is the story with our council???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Langerland wrote: »

I don't think Wicklow co co had a choice based on the cpo

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

I think WCC is stuck with it now.

SUGGESTION: WCC buys the land at 3Trout and swap it with Sispar. Sispar can build their horrific apartment blocks there instead of runining the harbour even more (if that's possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

I don't think Wicklow co co had a choice based on the cpo

Eh, the county council issued the CPO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Alan_P wrote: »
    Eh, the county council issued the CPO ?

I meant the contract

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

OH! I'm sure they'll find some excuse for paying well over the odds in the first place to go with why they're going to pay it now. They can put that excuse with the one they would use to explain why they neglected to pursue due levies from the developers who made millions from our county and with the excuse for having a practically zero interest bank account when the money was there and no overdraft offset when the money wasn't. They're full of excuses,you'll find, if you ever need them to do anything. But the most relavant excuse is that they're incompetent. Overpaid lazy benchmarked incompetents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Greystoned wrote: »
    SUGGESTION: WCC buys the land at 3Trout and swap it with Sispar. Sispar can build their horrific apartment blocks there instead of runining the harbour even more (if that's possible).

Goway outta that, that field is behind my house! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

OH! I'm sure they'll find some excuse for paying well over the odds in the first place to go with why they're going to pay it now. They can put that excuse with the one they would use to explain why they neglected to pursue due levies from the developers who made millions from our county and with the excuse for having a practically zero interest bank account when the money was there and no overdraft offset when the money wasn't. They're full of excuses,you'll find, if you ever need them to do anything. But the most relavant excuse is that they're incompetent. Overpaid lazy benchmarked incompetents.

Can you be more specific, your statement is very general and without facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

The big question is who will be held accountable for this scandanous waste of scarce public money. The bright spark who approved the spending of €1 million an acre for a swamp land on a flood plain is hard to believe. The buck must stop with the man at the top and the county manager should do the honourable thing and resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

the spending of €1 million an acre for a swamp land on a flood plain is hard to believe.

Certainly crazy to purchase 'swamp land on a flood plain'.

They know what the land is like at that end of the town.

For example flooding in Burnaby Lawns (also a flood plain) in November 2002 caused a lot of hardship and distress to residents

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/floods-bring-rat-infestation-1097967.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Please tell me this is a joke.
    3Mil for that area? You are kidding -wait until the EPA come out and say it is protected due to rare flora/fauna, nice little purchase 3Mil for an area of land that for all intents and purposes isn't fit to hold cattle - hoof-rot...

Flood plains are there for a reason - if they do go ahead and build here do you really think anyone will be able to get insurance? Idiots - another instance of boyo's throwing our money away and then telling us we have to pay more for their idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

I will probably be attacked for this view, but!
    The Council CPO'd the land way back when it was worth alot more, thus preventing the owner getting a MUCH higher price back in the crazy days. The CPO process needs sorting out (well the CPO process involving Wicklow CO.Co anyways).

Wicklow CoCo in particular have been extremly slow in completing the process and dealing with claims. When there were boom times peolpe had land and houses cpo'd, but were really hampered by a rising property market when they eventually got their money a year or two later

It would not sound bad if the contracted was completed 2 or 3 years ago.

To give the council the benefit of doubt, they were probably trying to get value for the public in boom times, and the savings made must out weigh this payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Can you be more specific, your statement is very general and without facts.

I'm afraid that they are facts John.
    Levies were not collected and by the time it was picked up, the crash had occurred.( Wicklow Times 2009)
    WCC held a low interest deposit account for all the years of the boom where vast sums were deposited. When funds dried up they were charged exorbitantly for overdraft facilities. This was addressed at a WCC meeting and made public by tricky Dicky.
    Where disabled home grants for the elderly were paid in millions by the DOE, the housing dept lied consistently about the availability of same in the hope that applicants would simply go away. Many people had borrowed to complete work on the back of council approval but have never been re imbursed.
    If you had the pleasure of dealing with them on this level and listened to the lies and rubbish excuses provided it may effect your view. Which is what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I'm afraid that they are facts John.

If you had the pleasure of dealing with them on this level and listened to the lies and rubbish excuses provided it may effect your view. Which is what exactly?

Thanks for expanding on your previous post , I will keep my views regarding these matters to myself as they would only be views and not facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

This latest example of the absolute ineptitude of Wicklow County Council in paying way over the odds for a swampy flood plain brings to mind the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the King of Swamp Castle (The County Manager):
    "When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England."

There you have if folks. The county manager is the King of Swamp Castle!

Advertisement