Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Me Moth

• 27-07-2011 9:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

Often wondered why some men refer to their Girlfriend as their Moth. And how did this name come about, like most girlfriends don't resemble the chiefly nocturnal insect related to butterflies?

Is it just a Dublin Thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not 'moth', it's from the Irish word 'maith'.

Urban Dictionary probably has it more detailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It's mot dear, mot. Not moth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It's "mot"

Edit: damn mobile posting speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can honestly say. I have no idea what your talking about OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

MOT? as in Maith? As in Good? Fookin' hell, like I know Dubs can hardly speak right but.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

To quote the always correct (we were robbed in Eurovision btw) Dustin the Turkey...
    "This car needs an MOT. A good mot in it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

my gf is a moth.... she likes lightbulbs and long walks on the beach.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's not 'moth', it's from the Irish word 'maith'
    Pfft, Urban Dictionary. If you can't find the answer on boards then it doesn't exist. According to this thread:
    For example 'Mot' is/was Dublin slang for 'Girlfriend', but it originally was a Victorian slang word for vagina, and survived as a word in Dublin after it was long forgotten in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the "t" ever pronounced though?

More like "Moh" really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

meh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

It's from the irish "maith an cailin" meaning good girl or best girl.

For example you would tell someone you were going out with your "maith an cailin" meaning you're going out with your best girl, ie your "maith"

The Master wrote: »

For example you would tell someone you were going out with your "maith an cailin" meaning you're going out with your best girl, ie your "maith"

I much prefer the explanation I found. I can live up to being a vagina. Good girl not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It seems to be a uniquely Dublin phrase. It hasn't started to spread into other areas of the country like 'gaff' has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Often wondered why some men refer to their Girlfriend as their Moth. And how did this name come about, like most girlfriends don't resemble the chiefly nocturnal insect related to butterflies?

It's short for "your mother".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Is it just a Dublin Thing?
    Moth? Jeez OP, at least get it right if you're gonna devote an entire thread to it :eek:

Moth? Jeez OP, at least get it right if you're gonna devote an entire thread to it :eek:

WTF are you on about? Devote? Its a feckin question on an internet forum......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

The Master wrote: »

No its not. It's still heard commonly enough in the East end, so obviously not from the Irish 'maith'.

Have come across the Victorian 'vaginal' slang explanation before so seems correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

FatherLen wrote: »
    my gf is a moth.... she likes lightbulbs and long walks on the beach.

I think I saw her in a film once with Richard Gere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

It seems to be a uniquely Dublin phrase. It hasn't started to spread into other areas of the country like 'gaff' has.
    I've heard it said in both Arklow and Dundalk lately.. The accents did not help at all. Maybe you can expect to hear it in the West in another ninety odd years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I've heard it said in both Arklow and Dundalk lately.. The accents did not help at all. Maybe you can expect to hear it in the West in another ninety odd years.

They're still waiting on the wheel, fire and electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's mot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

le bon mot

"maith an cailín" just doesn't work

WTF are you on about? Devote? Its a feckin question on an internet forum......:rolleyes:
    Ha. Get thee to a dictionary.

Ha. Get thee to a dictionary.

get yourself a life.;)

Got one thanks, and it's pretty great :)

Lauder wrote: »
    No its not. It's still heard commonly enough in the East end, so obviously not from the Irish 'maith'.

Maybe it was the Irish that brought it to London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe it was the Irish that brought it to London?

Like they did with New Yorkers saying "You dig?"...from the Irish immigrants saying "An dtuigeann tú?", from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The word derives from the Persian ‘mojaath’, which was a word used to describe a mythical monster that could suck the will to live out of even the strongest warrior.
    The word was later adapted to mean ‘girlfriend’ or ‘significant other’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The word derives from the Persian ‘mojaath’, which was a word used to describe a mythical monster that could suck the will to live out of even the strongest warrior.
    The word was later adapted to mean ‘girlfriend’ or ‘significant other’.

She can suck the strength out of me anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

always thought it sounded ridiculous. stupid dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Someone told me before it was an old Dutch sailor slang word for Prostitute. because all the Prostitutes would hang around the Gas Street Lamps waiting for customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lauder wrote: »

Have come across the Victorian 'vaginal' slang explanation before so seems correct.

Have you heard it down the east end yourself then me old china etc?

Cianos wrote: »
    Like they did with New Yorkers saying "You dig?"...from the Irish immigrants saying "An dtuigeann tú?", from what I've heard.

Or hooligan. :pac:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hooligan

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

The Tories (as in Conservatives) owe their name to Irish- it means "to pursue", coming from "Tóir"

My favourite one (cos it's a cool word) is "Kybosh" (sometimes Kibosh) comes from the Irish "an chaidhp bháis" meaning "the death cap"- so when you put the kybosh on something, you're finishing it off.

As for mot, I don't really like that word. Or the Cork one, beour or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mot

See 1 here. I particularly like their second example of using it in a phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It's yer mot, not moth!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gooseyd

moh or moth = my other half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Necro-thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement