Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Brown's Bottles

Options
  • 27-07-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I haven't used the bottles, but you can buy 1 bottle and if you son is feeding every 4 hrs you'd have time to use it for 1 day by washing and sterlising it after use. Its a bit of hassel but manageable as long as you were at home all day. The bottles are about €7 each for 1. I think only 4 will fit in an avent sterliser at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

they have them in smyths also so price around (they used to have them cheaper then the pharmacies)

once we switched to Dr. Brown the bad colic she used to get almost instantly disappeared, in fact i don't recall (it was 2 years ago :o) if we ever had issues with colic again....

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

We have been using Dr. Brown bottles from the 1st week and our little lad has still got wind/colic we have been using infacol and a whole lot of other stuff and nothing has changed. We are changing him onto the comfort food but the doc wont let us until he has his 2 month injections so that will be next week and hopefully he will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

I currently use these bottles for my son & have to say we found them great for cutting down on the wind............. The bottles contain what i can only describe as a small rubber disc inside & a straw which relieves most of the wind from the milk..........The only issues we had with these bottles is if you fill the bottles with boiling water from your kettle be sure not to tighten the lids fully before they cool or the 8oz bottle you filled an hour ago will now be aprox 6oz due to spillage also don't shake them till cooled as it will only result in a trip to hospital for you! but honestly I highly recomend these bottles there worth there weight in gold i swear!

There are also drops you can buy which are an additive to the milk there called Colief these are fantastic but not cheap they come in a tiny bottle & are used for colic they can be bought over the counter for aprox €16 & will last aprox 1 week we used them when he was first born and for aprox 2 months....... our son i would say did not suffer from colic but were recomended to us by the health nurse we also changed his food to cow & gate comfort & this i have to say did too help.............If your looking to get rid of the wind entirly your searching for a lost cause.........you'll be a very rich person if you can come up with a product that does that :)

• Advertisement

sorry me again might be worth noting:

Colic symptoms
    If you think your baby may have colic you might notice,

•Crying that can last for several hours.

•The crying may stop when you pick your baby up, try holding her in different positions. Some positions will make the crying stop, others will make it worse.

•A baby with colic may bring her legs up to her tummy, and then stretch out like she is trying to get rid of cramp.

•She may clench her hands.

•You baby's crying may start late afternoon to early evening, and be continual throughout the evening.

•Your baby may get a very red face.

•She may become very fussy before or after her feed.

•If your baby has colic she might pass a lot of wind.

•Your baby will have difficulty going to sleep, and if she does manage to get to sleep, it probably won't last for very long.

Best not to jump & think your baby is colic a baby that has colic will cry constant for hours on end if you have to wind your baby for 15 min & them they sleep this is not colic...........still the Dr Brown Bottles do help.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The tommee tippee anti colic plus bottles are excellent.
    Are you sure it is colic?
    Have you spoken to the phn? tried other formulas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Best not to change your babys food off your own back........you should always get advice from your GP or health nurse before you do this as it can cause problems in itself ;) try the bottles you won't be disapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Another suggestion is the Mam bottles. Our little one was a little colic-icky and a move to this (also tied in with change to Comfort food) did the trick and she was like a new baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I among many others got a colic mixture from a pharmacy in Clonmel, had to travel with the child for first bottle of it so pharmacist could see child, after that, was able to arrange for a postal delivery (not living in Clonmel and always arrived on time) and credit card debited for every bottle, bottle used to last about 12 days if I remember correctly and worked like a dream, baby had vey bad colic and it kicked in pretty quickly with fabulous results.

I'll check details and post name of pharmacy if allowed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I am thinking of trying these Browns bottles. Our little one is impossible to wind. I got coleaf drops and that dont seem to do anything only make her sick..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I among many others got a colic mixture from a pharmacy in Clonmel, had to travel with the child for first bottle of it so pharmacist could see child, after that, was able to arrange for a postal delivery (not living in Clonmel and always arrived on time) and credit card debited for every bottle, bottle used to last about 12 days if I remember correctly and worked like a dream, baby had vey bad colic and it kicked in pretty quickly with fabulous results.

I'll check details and post name of pharmacy if allowed??

I had my baby in Clonmel just over two months ago and I overheard one of the midwives highly recommend this mixture to a mother whose new baby appeard to be very colicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I will say that I find the Dr. Brown bottles will start to leak like CRAZY after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Katekat

My little one is 20 months but he had severe colic at the start. Used the DR Brown bottle which were excellent at reducing wind but do have a tendancy to leak if over filled or liquid too hot. also they can be "fiddly" to clean.

Advertisement