Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hep C

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the odds are of getting Hep C from salivia.
    Basically the source spit in to my mouth.I was treated in A&E with vaccines etc but i beleive there is no actual treatment for C.Just A and B.
    The sources oral hygiene is supposedly very good and they took bloods for tests from me and i have to go back in a month for more injections and more blood taken.The doctor was foreign and i'm not too sure what the story is with transmitting Hep C.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭emmabee

Found this on Yahoo answers:
    Hepatitis C is transmitted by blood to blood contact ONLY. Not saliva, not bodily fluids!! While HCV can be detected in saliva, semen, and vaginal fluids, it is not transmitted in this manner.

http://www.athealth.com/consumer/disorders/hepatitisA.html

In cases where transmission is due to sexual activity or toothbrushes, etc, it is because there was the presence of blood coming in contact with non-infected blood.
    Other forms of hepatitis are transmitted in other ways and are often confused with hepatitis c by the general public. Hep A is transmitted through contaminated food or water (water contamination is rare in developed countries). This is called the fecal/oral route of infection.

Hepatitis B is transmitted through bodily fluids through sex, and by blood to blood transmission.
    Hepatitis C is transmitted by blood to blood contact only. If there is rough sex where blood to blood contact is present, then there is risk of transmission. If there is bleeding gums and someone shares a toothbrush with another person and that person has bleeding gums, then there is the risk of transmission. This happens because the virus can live outside the body for up to four days.
    Hope this helps. It's important to know the facts.
    Source(s):
    HCV educator, advocate, & survivor

Advertisement