Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing Problem!!

Options
  • 27-07-2011 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I got my tongue pierced on Saturday. Its not dead centred and its far back but neither are the problem.
    I woke up this morning and found blood around the top of the piercing. I just washed it away with alcohol free mouthwash diluted with water. Does this mean its infected? I'm extremely worried right now:/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

pus= infection

Blood = pushing a needle through your tongue and thus making an open wound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

blood is natural and to be expected with most piercings really. You'll be fine just stick to the mouthwash etc. I'd be more worried about it being too far back and off centre tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

The location isn't the problem..it was done correctly because the webbing underneath was too long. :(

But I think it was pierced through muscle because it is now day 4 and the swelling has not reduced in the slightest.

Anyone had the same problem or piercers that know what is going on? Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Jenvict wrote: »
    The location isn't the problem..it was done correctly because the webbing underneath was too long. :(

But I think it was pierced through muscle because it is now day 4 and the swelling has not reduced in the slightest.

Anyone had the same problem or piercers that know what is going on? Thanks:)

Of course it was... your tongue IS a muscle :)

Some people are swellers. You can be swollen for up to a week! Keep minding it, make sure you're drinking lots of water especially before bed as dehydration can affect the swelling.

Start to worry/see a piercer if you get an unusual discharge, it starts bleeding severely, it gets very painful, there are unusual lumps/scar tissue around the holes, or if it's swelling so much that the bar is getting embedded or you can't swallow/find it difficult to breathe. Don't fret too much, tongue piercings are relatively easy to heal and you'd almost have to go out of your way to get an infection.

Sucking on ice, ibuprofen, and avoiding talking/chewing too much can help with swelling. Stick to the soft/easy to chew food. Keep using the alcohol free mouthwash but no more than twice a day or you'll start killing off the good bacteria.

And try to relax, nothing you've said in this thread sounds too worrying, so just keep doing what you're doing.

oh thank you!:) i feel much more relaxed now! il do what you said! Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

I got mine pierced on Friday and just ate loads of Mr Freeze ice pops, had cold water with ice etc, and swelling was gone by saturday evening. Still a bit awkward yet but not sore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

try warm salty water instead of the mouthwash too, as a lot of mouthwashes can be ineffective. oh, and if you ever want an excuse for eating ice cream, now's your chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

oh, and if you ever want an excuse for eating ice cream, now's your chance!

No, no no no no... avoid dairy products where possible while it's still healing.
    Ice pops, yes.
    Ice cream, no.

No, no no no no... avoid dairy products where possible while it's still healing.
    Ice pops, yes.
    Ice cream, no.

hmmm. how come??

Because dairy products can create a coating on the jewellery and the inside of the piercing, promoting bacterial growth.

• Advertisement

thanks, thought it may be something on the jewellery alright. i wouldn't be too concerned about the wound itself though, dairy products would have little or no effect on wound healing in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Because dairy products can create a coating on the jewellery and the inside of the piercing, promoting bacterial growth.

Ive had my tongue pierced exactly a week now, for the first few days i avoided dairy products like u advised here.. but since the swellings gone down, like the last 2 days ive started having cereal with milk in the morning again.. now i can feel like a layer on the ball under my tongue when i rest it on my lower lip.. i was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of this? Will this always happen with the tongue piercing and dairy products?

Ive had my tongue pierced exactly a week now, for the first few days i avoided dairy products like u advised here.. but since the swellings gone down, like the last 2 days ive started having cereal with milk in the morning again.. now i can feel like a layer on the ball under my tongue when i rest it on my lower lip.. i was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of this? Will this always happen with the tongue piercing and dairy products?
    Mouthwash, alcohol free, and *maybe* give it a VERY gentle clean with a soft clean toothbrush when you're finished brushing your teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

yea i was thinking of doing that but was gonna wait to see what you guys said, thanks very much! :)

well an update from the post 5 weeks ago:)
    nothing basically happened after this. Got the bar changed to a smaller one after 2 weeks and could eat normally again. The piercer that changed the bar was shocked at the size of the bar I had originally which was 22mm. 4 days after this i changed the balls to acrylic ones but kept the metal bar in:)
    I don't even know i have it at this stage haha. Also since the swellings gone down I've noticed the piercing is actually centered woops and is not that far back at all haha. Basically I'm happy with my piercing:)

Advertisement