Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GETTING A STUDENT LOAN IN THE UK

Options
  • 27-07-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am starting a MSc in the UK for the next two years. No fees- thank God.
    I will have about 5500euro to my name the day I start so I clearly need financial help.
    I have been told that I wont get any financial help from banks in Ireland but that after six months of residency in the UK I could apply for a student loan.

Has anyone had an experience of this in the UK as an Irish postgrad?

I am having a bit of a meltdown today, freaking out about my future!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Hi,

did you have any luck with this? I'm thinking of doing a masters in the UK next year so would love to hear how you got on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

hi there. it is so wierd for me to look at that post because I didnt go to the UK in the end- I got the same one in Ireland in the end so life is much simpler!

In terms of loans I had kind of got the ball rolling but not entirely,Id post on THE STUDENT ROOM- a UK student forum and see what comes up. There are two companies who do the loans however I would advise you to have a couple of thousand stashed away / at your disposal because you more than likely wont have the loan by the time it starts or for a while after and college is expensive as you know. I am wondering what course you are planning on doing? The unfortunate thing is that there is no cut and dry answer however I would email the university and ask their advice. Not being a resident of the UK - you have to be approved for loans and if you are not approved yet have started your course it can be very distressing. Id love to know wht course you are doing- I did so much research into the UK I may be able to answer other questions a bit better! Feel free to PM me.

Advertisement