Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing for iPhone with JQTouch

Options
  • 27-07-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I've been doing fine for the first few days and I am stuck on retreiving results ater submitting a form. I am wondering if anybody here is experienced with JQTouch as I have a question or two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I started off programming for the iPhone using jQtouch. I believed all the stuff about HTML5 taking over from native apps in the not too distant future. While this may be true, at the moment, you reallly have to program in Objective-C/Java. jQtouch is unwieldy a real pain when your app gets any way big.

That said, there are some excellent mobile versions of websites (Betfair being a case in point - I think boards.ie and daft.ie also use jQtouch) that use jQtouch.

If you need to interface with hardware/device functions (GPS, phone book, accelerometer, etc.), you're in for a headache as you have to code these up in Objective-C/Java anyway and then bridge them into the browser which can be done, but is a bit of a hack - you're better off writing a native app from scratch.

jQtouch is a great project. I think it's best suited for scenarios where you already have website and Android/iPhone apps and just want to give your users a mobile version of your website - perhaps with limited features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

yutta wrote: »
    I think it's best suited for scenarios where you already have website and Android/iPhone apps and just want to give your users a mobile version of your website - perhaps with limited features.

This is.exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

yutta wrote: »
    I think it's best suited for scenarios where you already have website and Android/iPhone apps and just want to give your users a mobile version of your website - perhaps with limited features.

This is exactly what Im doing. Its not going to be a commercial app, more of an in-house thing. I am just having issues retrieving search results, if anyone can advise over skype or pm.

Advertisement