Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold Braodband my line could never support

Options
  • 27-07-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi a few months ago i purchased a broadband that my line could never support according to Eircoms own support team (took them months of trouble shooting to cop this on themselves)
    I purchased 7meg broadband while the line can only manage the original 3meg that i was on. Now i rang sales to get downgraded back to my original package only to be told there would be a €25 charge. Should I have to pay this considering i was missold the package in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Menapians wrote: »
    Hi a few months ago i purchased a broadband that my line could never support according to Eircoms own support team (took them months of trouble shooting to cop this on themselves)
    I purchased 7meg broadband while the line can only manage the original 3meg that i was on. Now i rang sales to get downgraded back to my original package only to be told there would be a €25 charge. Should I have to pay this considering i was missold the package in the first place?

Hi Menapians
    sorry to hear you did not get what you expected. Yes it is possible that your package of up to 7Mb might not be able to offer a full 7Mb, normally it is possible to advise customer of approximate speeds when ordering. If you PM me your tel. number I can look into this for you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Hi Menapians
    sorry to hear you did not get what you expected. Yes it is possible that your package of up to 7Mb might not be able to offer a full 7Mb, normally it is possible to advise customer of approximate speeds when ordering. If you PM me your tel. number I can look into this for you.
    Tony

Were in 2011 and still people cant even get 7mb My god

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

Thanks Tony pm sent

Hi tony just in relation to this again ever since we last spoke my internet has being dropping constantly at night i have now become sick of this. is there any way i can revert back to 3mb broadband without having to pay the fee.
    Quiet frankly i don't see why i would have to pay it. even while i have being writing this my connect has dropped three time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi tony just in relation to this again ever since we last spoke my internet has being dropping constantly at night i have now become sick of this. is there any way i can revert back to 3mb broadband without having to pay the fee.
    Quiet frankly i don't see why i would have to pay it. even while i have being writing this my connect has dropped three time.

Hi Menapians,

Thank you for contacting the eircom Forum on Boards.

I have looked at you broadband connection and checked your case history with Technical Support.

At the moment I can confirm that your broadband sync is set at 6Mb and is showing up as high intermittency (or intermittent sync). This intermittency is quite random and is continous according to our Authentication server. It is certainly not specific to any set time and is happening both throughout the day and night, and is not just specific to the evening time.

After checks with Technical Support, they have advised it may be best to change the broadband profile to a more suitable and optimum connection and broadband sync.

(case id: 4190542) :

27/07/2011 13:07:56
    Prequal of 4mb

Currently amp'd to 5mb on : 27/07/2011

Sync Checker result for OYG01_R1.S1.LT6.16Port UP; Exch:NORMAL, Modm:NORMAL; [Atnu Curr/Prov/MxAt] Up:26dB, 384/128-384/992; Down:44dB, 4096/512-4096/6688

Advised customer line can only comfortably hold 3mb. Customer will contact sales for a downgrade.

Can you please monitor your broadband connection over the next days to see if this profile change has improved your broadband connection. There should be no need to contact Sales to downgrade at this point and there is no added charge for this. If this doesn't work then you may need to contact Sales and to downgrade your broadband package.

If you need direct technical help with your broadband, please call into Broadband Support :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00) 7 days.

Please quote your case id, above, as this will speed up your call time and help Technical Support resolve this quickly.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi ant thanks for the reply. I will monitor that but if i remember correctly it was still dropping at 4mb when it was set at that the last time. but i will let you know anyway
    thanks menapians

Hi Ant/Tony just to let you know the issue seems to be there however it does seem to have improved if however slightly.
    Menapians

So whats the story then are you going to sort this or am i cancelling the bloody thing. This is ridiculous. its going on way too long now. This needs to be sorted once and for all either way. I've tried to stay calm but enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Cork24 wrote: »
    Were in 2011 and still people cant even get 7mb My god

Some people are lucky to get 1Mb/s even.
    Or some are unlucky enough to have no fixed line access
    Seems like this country will never have proper broadband .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Menapians,

I sent you a direct message. Let me know if you have any follow up queries.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

I was sold what I was told up to 8mb of NGB... over the past week it kept dropping with Xbox live and basic web browsing.... I have logged fault Ref # with technical support.

FYI I've been in contact with technical support and informed my line won't support anything faster than 5mb without it dropping... It stopped this morning with just me online at approx 0910hrs..I had to turn off/on the modem to restart it...ridiculous.

I am also meant to accept that the service will be intermittent due to high traffic when my Kids are on xbox live and my Wife and I are online...:mad:

I was sold what I was told up to 8mb of NGB... over the past week it kept dropping with Xbox live and basic web browsing.... I have logged fault Ref # with technical support.

FYI I've been in contact with technical support and informed my line won't support anything faster than 5mb without it dropping... It stopped this morning with just me online at approx 0910hrs..I had to turn off/on the modem to restart it...ridiculous.

I am also meant to accept that the service will be intermittent due to high traffic when my Kids are on xbox live and my Wife and I are online...:mad:

Hi Irish_Army01,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

If you PM your home phone number, I will check on any updates on your fault logged with Technical Support.

Kind regards,
    Ant

This is the speed I'm receiving with my Wife and I web browsing ... up to 8mb of NGB...:rolleyes:

1593261877.png

1594030070.png

1594030070.png

Thank you,

I have responded to your PM and Technical Support have asked that you try to connect just one PC when testing your broadband speed. Also, just ensure that all games consoles, including Xbox(s) and other applications are shut down completely when testing your broadband speed. This includes Anti-virus /Spyware and firewall(s).

You are currently synced at 5Mb, on *NGB; so your expected download speed with one computer connected would be around 3.7Mb. The current speed you quote of 2.9Mb is not that far away from your expected speed. It is probably best to test your speed again when you've shut down the Xbox. You may find that your broadband speed increases to 3.7Mb, when you've shut down your other computer(s) and games console (Xbox(s), etc.

As well, just ensure your connection is set over Ethernet, as this will rule out any wireless issue you may have.

Other important points to note when testing speed are given below:

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your broadband after performing the above steps you should therefore, call directly into eircom Technical Support; where one of our Broadband Support Professionals can help and guide you ;- Please retain your case id when calling into Technical Support as this will help speed up your call time and help resolve the issue quickly

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. Please note that NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

Thank you,

I have responded to your PM and Technical Support have asked that you try to connect just one PC when testing your broadband speed. Also, just ensure that all games consoles, including Xbox(s) and other applications are shut down completely when testing your broadband speed. This includes Anti-virus /Spyware and firewall(s).

You are currently synced at 5Mb, on *NGB; so your expected download speed with one computer connected would be around 3.7Mb. The current speed you quote of 2.9Mb is not that far away from your expected speed. It is probably best to test your speed again when you've shut down the Xbox. You may find that your broadband speed increases to 3.7Mb, when you've shut down your other computer(s) and games console (Xbox(s), etc.

As well, just ensure your connection is set over Ethernet, as this will rule out any wireless issue you may have.

Other important points to note when testing speed are given below:

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your broadband after performing the above steps you should therefore, call directly into eircom Technical Support; where one of our Broadband Support Professionals can help and guide you ;- Please retain your case id when calling into Technical Support as this will help speed up your call time and help resolve the issue quickly

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. Please note that NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

1. I scan my laptop once a week and comes up clean.
    2. I was sold a package of UP TO 8MB of NGB... My line won't take it.
    3. Streaming is youtube and yes I use youtube. file sharing ...no
    4. yesterday on two occasions it died with just me online.

What I want to know is will I have to endure constant intermittent service if my kids are on xbox and my Wife and I are online?

1. I scan my laptop once a week and comes up clean.
    2. I was sold a package of UP TO 8MB of NGB... My line won't take it.
    3. Streaming is youtube and yes I use youtube. file sharing ...no
    4. yesterday on two occasions it died with just me online.

What I want to know is will I have to endure constant intermittent service if my kids are on xbox and my Wife and I are online?

Hi Irish_Army01,

Thanks, I have replied to your PM again. To keep from going around in circles, I have copied my PM again here and hope that it is clear. If not, then please contact our primary source for technical support:

As advised previously: If you need technical assistance please contact our Technical Suport department.

The broadband speed you quote of 4.3Mb is perfect and is the speed that Technical Support would expect on your 5Mb connection.

NGB is defined as up to 8Mb, though it's quite possibe for some customers to get only 1Mb, or 2Mb or in your case 5Mb. As said, Adsl fixed phoneline broadband is dependent on what your broadband line prequalifies for. In your own case, your broadband pre-qualifies for 3Mb.

This is something that Technical Support will look at. They will also check your PPPoE login against eircom's authentication servers. They may advise that it is necessary to drop your broadband speed. This may offset any intermittency (intermittent sync), you maybe currently experiencing. This should have the effect of improving your overall broadband throughput, while it won't negate your broadband speed greatly.

My advice therefore, if you are still experiencing connection problems, is to contact Technical Support. As advised they are the technical professionals who will be able to assist you with any eircom broadband related problem.

Please retain your case id (reference) in case you need to follow up on this. Or PM this and I can chase this up as well.

Best regards,
    Ant

Hi Irish_Army01,

Thanks, I have replied to your PM again. To keep from going around in circles, I have copied my PM again here and hope that it is clear. If not, then please contact our primary source for technical support:

As advised previously: If you need technical assistance please contact our Technical Suport department.

The broadband speed you quote of 4.3Mb is perfect and is the speed that Technical Support would expect on your 5Mb connection.

NGB is defined as up to 8Mb, though it's quite possibe for some customers to get only 1Mb, or 2Mb or in your case 5Mb. As said, Adsl fixed phoneline broadband is dependent on what your broadband line prequalifies for. In your own case, your broadband pre-qualifies for 3Mb.

This is something that Technical Support will look at. They will also check your PPPoE login against eircom's authentication servers. They may advise that it is necessary to drop your broadband speed. This may offset any intermittency (intermittent sync), you maybe currently experiencing. This should have the effect of improving your overall broadband throughput, while it won't negate your broadband speed greatly.

My advice therefore, if you are still experiencing connection problems, is to contact Technical Support. As advised they are the technical professionals who will be able to assist you with any eircom broadband related problem.

Please retain your case id (reference) in case you need to follow up on this. Or PM this and I can chase this up as well.

Best regards,
    Ant

Frustrating ain't it.....

Here again I find my service drop.... And I'm the only one online...I've included the Date/time as proof. Bottom right

e86deb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Eircom are very bad my heart goes out to you in a bit I am going to put up a post quoting pm,s that I got and the way I was conned into signing back up with them :mad:

Honestly...My patience is wearing thin.....

1596093082.png

DROPPED AGAIN!!!!
    sgiwyh.jpg

• Advertisement

Tested again to prove it was not a once off.. My wife is on Facebook on her laptop and I am on boards on mine!

1596105084.png

FYI.. Was just onto technical support and they upped my speed to 6mb..

hopefully that will resolve all my issues.

This is with only I online....After I turned off the modem after the technician had dealt with my complaint.

1596155287.png

Jesus wept...

Over the weekend yet another bout of the same ****e.... broadband down...

It went down last night for approx 20 mins and today at least twice ......

I've been on to COMREG and will be onto eircom complaints dept in the morning...

Jesus wept...

Over the weekend yet another bout of the same ****e.... broadband down...

It went down last night for approx 20 mins and today at least twice ......

I've been on to COMREG and will be onto eircom complaints dept in the morning...

Hi Irish_Army01,

Thank you for posting on eircom Forum on Boards.

I have checked your case history with Technical Support. They advise they have a recent case open for you and are waiting on you testing your connection and updating them:

They have advised that your current sync is set at 4Mb, yet your broadband itself pre-quals for 3Mb. This may be one reason for your broadband intermittency and they have asked that you monitor your current connection.

Since you're still experiencing connection problems, Technical Support have advised that you contact them. They may need to adjust your current profile to a more suitable connection.

Technical Support will need to check this setting before they can escalate to engineers to investigate further.

If you don't have your Technical Support case reference (case id), just advise Support of your eircom Account or phone number.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up. Alternatively, let us know your case id and we can follow up on this with Technical Support.

Kind regards,
    Ant

So Im Back again back down at 3meg but for the last week at night ive being struggling to get 1meg. Had the technician out last friday checked everything and changed nearly everything if not everything even got a new modem as he suspected that was the problem. Same problem again tonight on the new modem. Just off the phone with eircom and they want to send out the technician again however this time its going to cost me €150. Why?
    It seems ringing up is a waste of time the only decent service eircom actually offer is on this. I was wondering is there anyway to fix this without me forking out 150 for the technician to come out and say i cant do any more. Which is what he say Friday when he left. I know the answer is change but unfortunately thats not an option :( Heres my Pitiful speed test results
    1820037072.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I would Cancel Eircom for that matter, and move to UPC or Vodafone or who every get the hell away from those feckers

Cork24 wrote: »
    I would Cancel Eircom for that matter, and move to UPC or Vodafone or who every get the hell away from those feckers

As much i want upc i cant get it im out in the sticks. Vodafone use the same line as Eircom so i don't think there would be much if and improvement there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

So Im Back again back down at 3meg but for the last week at night ive being struggling to get 1meg. Had the technician out last friday checked everything and changed nearly everything if not everything even got a new modem as he suspected that was the problem. Same problem again tonight on the new modem. Just off the phone with eircom and they want to send out the technician again however this time its going to cost me €150. Why?
    It seems ringing up is a waste of time the only decent service eircom actually offer is on this. I was wondering is there anyway to fix this without me forking out 150 for the technician to come out and say i cant do any more. Which is what he say Friday when he left. I know the answer is change but unfortunately thats not an option :( Heres my Pitiful speed test results
    1820037072.png

Hi Menapians

I have been checking the history on the account and can see that since the last contact we have escalated the issue to technical support and they in turn sent an engineer to check the line. The test results have confirmed that the line itself is ok. I have run a further test today to confirm this. The engineer has indicated that the modem could be the issue.

The new modem was issued from here on 6/3/12. Have you received this yet? Testing the DSL line again with the new modem could possibly deliver better results.

Regards

Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Menapians

I have been checking the history on the account and can see that since the last contact we have escalated the issue to technical support and they in turn sent an engineer to check the line. The test results have confirmed that the line itself is ok. I have run a further test today to confirm this. The engineer has indicated that the modem could be the issue.

The new modem was issued from here on 6/3/12. Have you received this yet? Testing the DSL line again with the new modem could possibly deliver better results.

Regards

Mark

Ya recieved the new modem on Tuesday and it was up and running since then

Advertisement