Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold Braodband my line could never support

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I was getting 2mb from Eircom before and went with Smart Telecom who were offering 8mb for half the price while eircom was only offering 1, 2 & 3 Mb

While Eircom still only offers 8 Mb UPC can offer 100Mb, eircom are way behind the game.
    why no get Nova Networks

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

Menapians wrote: »
    Ya recieved the new modem on Tuesday and it was up and running since then

I meant the modem was up and running not the internet. the above speed test it with the new modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I meant the modem was up and running not the internet. the above speed test it with the new modem.

Let me know if I can help your broadband Menapians.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi Carpenter,

Thanks for your PM -

I have checked your phone line and this pre-qualifies for 10Mb.

I have also checked your phoneline for a best product /bundle and the following packages are available to you : LINK

You can also select another suitable package /bundle on the same website : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

This is a Pm I got about my BB and after going with them for 12 months the max speed I get is 3.2Mb eircom are a rip of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I feel for you guy's and my advice is if possible to leave eircom, I was sold 24meg broadband and after months of getting a top speed of 8mb down one of their geniuses on here told me that my line is limited to 10meg anyway...what a joke they are. I've since moved to smart telecom and get 10meg on the same line for almost half the price, not to mention a better router and customer CARE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Farls wrote: »
    I feel for you guy's and my advice is if possible to leave eircom, I was sold 24meg broadband and after months of getting a top speed of 8mb down one of their geniuses on here told me that my line is limited to 10meg anyway...what a joke they are. I've since moved to smart telecom and get 10meg on the same line for almost half the price, not to mention a better router and customer CARE.

geniuses:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

1594030070.png

Hi Irish_Army01,

I have been lloking at your history with ourselves and our customer care team. Your line has a capacity of between 3-4MB, this is due to the distance your address is from the exchange (in terms of how the telephone lines are laid)

The NGB is still subject to exchange and distance limitations, however it will provide the highest possible speed on the line day or night.

Back in November there was some margin to try a 6MB profile but this seemed to result in disconnects, can you confirm this?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DirtyDev

Cork24 wrote: »
    I was getting 2mb from Eircom before and went with Smart Telecom who were offering 8mb for half the price while eircom was only offering 1, 2 & 3 Mb

While Eircom still only offers 8 Mb UPC can offer 100Mb, eircom are way behind the game.
    why no get Nova Networks

What do you mean? I'm with Eircom now and I'm getting up to 24MB (17MB is what I actually get). And to be honest UPC are very slow when it comes to getting a connection with them. 9 months ago I was told I would have UPC available in my area. 3 weeks ago they said the same thing. While Eircom told me I would have NGB Broadband in September 2011. They were only 2 months late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

So im back again surprise surprise. i had a good run this time but here are my lastest speeds. this is unacceptable. im absolutely sick of this **** now.
    2169567537.png

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

You are currently synced at 5Mb, on *NGB; so your expected download speed with one computer connected would be around 3.7Mb. The current speed you quote of 2.9Mb is not that far away from your expected speed.

Incorrect... if I subscribe to a 5 Mbit line and my line is capable of sustaining that, then I expect 5 Mbit. Any system overheads should be borne by the network. When I buy 250g of cornflakes, the weight of the box is not deducted from my cornflakes.

Saying that 2.9 Mbit is correct for a 5 Mbit connection is hogwash, plain and simple.

Physical Signaling Overhead is only somewhere in the range of .192 Mbit per 1.5 Mbit (Very approximate estimate, worked out using a T1 1.544 Mbit line running flat out and counting on my fingers:o) The maximum that you would lose in real world terms is somewhere in the range of 10% and this would be a peak, not a sustained value.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement

So im back again surprise surprise. i had a good run this time but here are my lastest speeds. this is unacceptable. im absolutely sick of this **** now.
    2169567537.png

Hi Menapians,

The line is testing perfectly.

The speed to the main socket:

Downstream:

Synced at: 3072kbps
    Provisioned: 160-3072kbps

Is that speedtest via ethernet cable with one device connected?

Thanks, Mark

Timfy wrote: »
    Incorrect... if I subscribe to a 5 Mbit line and my line is capable of sustaining that, then I expect 5 Mbit. Any system overheads should be borne by the network. When I buy 250g of cornflakes, the weight of the box is not deducted from my cornflakes.

Saying that 2.9 Mbit is correct for a 5 Mbit connection is hogwash, plain and simple.

Physical Signaling Overhead is only somewhere in the range of .192 Mbit per 1.5 Mbit (Very approximate estimate, worked out using a T1 1.544 Mbit line running flat out and counting on my fingers:o) The maximum that you would lose in real world terms is somewhere in the range of 10% and this would be a peak, not a sustained value.

Hi Timfy,

All broadband packages / speeds are classed as "up to".

eircom will always try to provide the highest possible speed (available on the line).

However if you are connecting over wifi or more than one device it does decrease the speed.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement