Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec bought by HKC

Options
  • 27-07-2011 2:01pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have it from a reliable source that HKC have taken over Astec.
    More when I find out.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Heard that today myself. Can't see Astec staying in Pearse street for too long. Sad day, I hope most of the staff get to keep their jobs. Always a great bunch to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

They will not be supporting any of Astec systems and will be making most of the Astec products obsolete in the next 12 months.

altor wrote: »
    They will not be supporting any of Astec systems and will be making most of the Astec products obsolete in the next 12 months.

Interesting. There will be a gap in the market. There's alot of Astec systems out there and alot of sensors to be replaced. Looks like people mightl need to change their whole system if they get a faulty sensor.

Thats the way its looking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Quite a lot of property's out there with minimal wiring designed for Astec 2 wire.
    Could be quite the boost for wireless.

Agree totally, going to be expensive for most home owners if problems arise. Thank god for hybrid systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Never liked their panels but they did make some good reliable inertias, more so than hkc.
    Could never see the point of the minimal wiring on new builds, only suited the site electricians who made a quick buck and then disappeared soon after

The latest I heard today was HKC were definitely going to produce a two wire system sensor and also produce the Fusion, I presume to facilitate future upgrades of the two wire systems. I can't see them spending too much time on the Astec stuff myself TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Interesting. There will be a gap in the market. There's alot of Astec systems out there and alot of sensors to be replaced. Looks like people mightl need to change their whole system if they get a faulty sensor.
    I'm no astec expert but I have replaced PIRs, shocks contacts and panics with conventional types. I have also fitted limpets, wireless shocks contacts etc to them.
    As long as you have the correct resitors you should be able to solve most problems.
    The only device that I see giving trouble could be the smoke detectors

• Advertisement

The latest I heard today was HKC were definitely going to produce a two wire system sensor and also produce the Fusion, I presume to facilitate future upgrades of the two wire systems. I can't see them spending too much time on the Astec stuff myself TBH.

This is not going to happen Fred. The two wire and Fusion will be no more in the next 12 months.

This is not going to happen Fred. The two wire and Fusion will be no more in the next 12 months.

You're obviously getting different info than me Altor. One would think there's a market out there for the two wire components at least.

I'm hearing the same as Fred here from a number of different sources within Astec/HKC
    Is someone telling you different Altor or are you speculating?

The two wire is gone in the next 12 months.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I'm hearing the same as Fred here from a number of different sources within Astec/HKC
    Is someone telling you different Altor or are you speculating?

I am not speculating, believe it or not :D

Again, is this your opinion ?or have you some source for this?

What I'm hearing is that they will support the Astec products for 5 years +
    My Opinion would be they will continue with the 2 wire in some form or other but just supply Fusions as replacements & not market the panel.
    No logic to having 2 10 zone panels ..
    If they are going to get rid of the 2 wire also what exactly have they bought??:confused:

I am not speculating, its not my opinion and yes I do have a source.

Believe it or not :D

Care to share??:D

I am sharing but you dont believe :D

I have stated what I have heard from Astec/HKC (& Former Astecs :D)
    If you have a source for something completely different then it would be good to share it. Otherwise people may well judge it as just speculation.
    Again, my opinion would be if they are dropping the 2 wire then they have really bought nothing & simply paid good money to remove Astec from the market.
    I find it hard to believe Astec were that much of a threat to HKC.

• Advertisement

If you dont believe me call me a liar :eek:

As I have said already believe me or not :D

You are not giving us much info here on your source only you where told by:
    I have stated what I have heard from Astec/HKC (& Former Astecs :D)

I would agree with one thing you have said :
    Former Astecs

If this is your main source I think you should try get more information from the new owner ;)

I have no intention of calling you a liar.
    I never said I don't believe you. Simply asking for sources.
    If you don't want to say that's fine . I'll let people judge your comments & decide on the credibility of them. Time will tell one way or the other .
    I am not going to go mentioning personal names of people I have spoken to but most in the industry will know who I'm referring to.
    You may well be correct, I'm simply curious to HKCs thinking .

What would be your view on this:
    If they drop the 2 wire, there is no reason to continue the Fusion. After all the ability to integrate and mix Astec with Global is its main feature.
    Have they simply bought Astec out of the market?
    That may well have happened without their intervention.

Astec wasn't doing well, they were losing alot of money. HKC would have studied their books and would have seen their losses. I would be supprised if they bought them just to buy out the competition. They could have let them go to the wall, that's why I think they want something that Astec has that they don't.

Maybe they want to use Astecs very reliable inertias?

Only the main man in HKC knows why he bought Astec. I could not see a future for the fusion once HKC released there new Securewave panel. I know Astec where working on wire free sensors that where to be released soon but so is the new Quantum70. This properly pushed Astec to give up the game as they where never going to match it.

Maybe they want to use Astecs very reliable inertias?

Certainly an improvement on HKCs IMO.

Regarding support it seems this is their obligations.
    Support must be continued for the duration of any warranty after the obsolete date. Most would also give plenty of notice of a line becoming obsolete.
    So taking the worst case scenario that HKC announce from September 1st 2 wire is obsolete they must support panels & control equipment for 2 years & devices for 1 year at least .
    The latest i have heard from HKC is that there are no plans at the moment and Astec will continue to operate as a separate entity.
    Working on getting some official input from HKC on here soon.

Interesting change from your information from yesterday, are you speculating ?

Not speculation. The obligations are legal requirements from what I am told.
    The latest from HKC comes from HKC.
    As I said I hope to get direct input from them on here soon.

As I said I hope to get direct input from them on here soon.

That would be the best thing to clarify what is happening direct from the source.

• Advertisement

Email from Astec/HKC
    Hi,

I just want to take this opportunity to update you on developments following the acquisition of Astec Security Limited. As you are aware HKC acquired Astec in the last week of July & have since then had some time to assess the operation. I would like to thank you for your business in the past & hope you will remain a customer in the future. I have outlined below some key points that may be of interest to you:

· HKC will be honor guarantees of Astec products for the remaining term of their guarantee and will provide ongoing Technical assistance of the products.
    · HKC will hold spare parts for the support of Astec products for a minimum of 7 years
    · HKC are currently carrying out a review of the complete Astec product portfolio and will rationalize the product range.
    · The Astec Two Wire System & Fusion Panel will be discontinued over the coming months but as stated above they will be fully supported & guaranteed.
    · A decision has been made to utilize the Astec sensor head throughout the HKC sensor range.
    · Astec Limited will continue to operate out of their Pearse Street premises for the immediate future and the trade counter remains open for business, but please note below the new opening hours (see below).
    · It is envisaged that over the next few months that the Astec operation will be integrated into HKC Ltd in Ballymount. The administration staff have already re-located to Ballymount (contact numbers below)
    · HKC will not be operating a Trade Counter from Ballymount and if customers wish to purchase Astec products they will only be available through distribution.

Astec New Opening Hours

Mon – Thursday from 07:45 – 16:15
    Friday 07:45 – 15:15

Astec Telephone Numbers from Monday next

Technical Support 01-6704202
    Sales & Administration 01-6704201

I would like to thank you for your support of Astec in the past & hope you will continue to do so. If you have any further questions please contact me at nick [at] hkc.ie

Advertisement