Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason behind the death of the Irish Pub

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think modern pubs could easily just look at what pub actually means for a fix. It is supposed to be a public house. A public house could be anything but it's become a place for rampant drinking of alcohol.

I don't go to the pub now because I on't want to drink excessively any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think modern pubs could easily just look at what pub actually means for a fix. It is supposed to be a public house. A public house could be anything but it's become a place for rampant drinking of alcohol.

I don't go to the pub now because I on't want to drink excessively any more.

I'm the same re: drinking excessively. What i would love to see is more of the american style college bars i used to go to in Boston. Our local was a bar called 'Our House'. At one end they did food, everything from snacks and coffees to 3 course meals, all very resonable. At the other end there was a row of video games, shooting games, basketball hoops game which i would say the bar made a huge amount of profit from. They always had offers offers on various drinks, including non-alcoholic ones and the staff were dead on and always greeted you and knew what you drank. You could be entertained for hours in there and you'd spend a fortune before you knew it and the place was unreal craic and was hopping 7 nights a week. It was listed in the top 100 bars in America by Playboy:D
    Why can't we have bars like that here?

Bassfish wrote: »
    At the other end there was a row of video games, shooting games, basketball hoops game which i would say the bar made a huge amount of profit from.
    There used to be games of all sorts in pubs as it was more of a family place but publicans removed any distraction from drinking and the government is adamant in turning all pubs into nothing more than a drugs den for the pushing of alcohol. Pubs really don't stand a chance as they can't expend their business model not that they've shown any interest in trying anything outside of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

FIRE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

[QUOTE=ScumLord;73608241Pubs really don't stand a chance as they can't expend their business model not that they've shown any interest in trying anything outside of the ordinary.[/QUOTE]

Its a real shame that a market disruptor like Weatherspoons were refused entry into the Irish market. Then we probably would have seen some real interest shown by Irish publicans in innovating their product offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

jetsonx wrote: »
    Its a real shame that a market disruptor like Weatherspoons were refused entry into the Irish market. Then we probably would have seen some real interest shown by Irish publicans in innovating their product offering.

has anybody told them about the bulging brown envelope culture.
    they could be here next week if they "played ball" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Majorly disagree. Weatherspoons and the like are soleless, prepackaged, over-genericised pubs. It's like drinking in Tesco. While we'd all like to see prices come down, heaven protect us from Irish pubs turning into those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Bassfish wrote: »
    Majorly disagree. Weatherspoons and the like are soleless, prepackaged, over-genericised pubs. It's like drinking in Tesco. While we'd all like to see prices come down, heaven protect us from Irish pubs turning into those places.

And, to a certain extent, I agree.

BUT, Irish publicans need a good hard kick up the b@ckside. The market is too cozy for them. Too small. Throw in a bit of healthy competition from abroad. Lets see how smug they are then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wetherspoons do a great selection of wines

It's something different, of course they are not for everyone but it's some bit of competition
    Like the post above, a kick to the existing publicans who are complaining but doing little to make themselves stand out

The Harbourmaster in the IFSC used to do all drinks three euro on Thursday and Friday evenings. Place would be jammed
    The ownership group got into trouble I think due to property deals but it showed what can work

Wetherspoons wouldn't come to Ireland they just wouldn't be able to do their business model and make money.

Overall I really hope we don't end up like the UK, every things part of a large chain. I've travelled across the UK staying at travel lodges and despite travelling hundreds of miles in the day walking into the same hotels restaurants and pubs felt like I hadn't moved an inch.

I don't think we should look to the UK really, they've crushed small local business in that country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And, to a certain extent, I agree.

BUT, Irish publicans need a good hard kick up the b@ckside. The market is too cozy for them. Too small. Throw in a bit of healthy competition from abroad. Lets see how smug they are then.

Surely the point that this thread is about the death of the pub scene would suggest it's anything but cozy for them. The problem is some have spent so long just being able to open their doors and let the punters flood in that they never developed marketing skills and those that did then got their wrists slapped by the government. For example the fantastic stock exchange bar in waterford who were forced to stop their novel idea because shock horror they were successfully selling drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wetherspoons wouldn't come to Ireland they just wouldn't be able to do their business model and make money.

Overall I really hope we don't end up like the UK, every things part of a large chain. I've travelled across the UK staying at travel lodges and despite travelling hundreds of miles in the day walking into the same hotels restaurants and pubs felt like I hadn't moved an inch.

I don't think we should look to the UK really, they've crushed small local business in that country.

I really hope they don't. Any of their places in the UK i have been in were dingey ****eholes with watered down beer. It is the home of 'little britain'.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

wouldnt be so sure , the sit happyily side by side with your normal run of the mill pubs anywhere i have seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is it not just the kips that are dying off? Real pubs as opposed to watering 'holes' will survive as long as their people who enjoy a good pint, in good company, with good bar staff in nice surroundings. I feel a best Irish pubs thread coming on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

The pubs are still doing well if you have people who know how to run them.I find myself going to a pub a couple of miles from where i live now as a new owner took it on and shows football matches as well as gaa match and horseracing :D I can place a bet in there he rings it in and if you win he pays you out there and then :) The pub is packed most days of the week :D

Advertisement