Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it best to pay off debts as soon as possible?

Options
  • 27-07-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I'm currently paying off a four figure loan. I have it half paid off and am now in the situation where I could pay off the balance. Is this generally considered a good idea or is it best to keep capital while servicing the debt? How does paying off a loan extra early impact on one's credit rating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If you are servicing a loan as per schedule, then paying it off early should have no impact on your credit rating.

Sometimes the absence of a recent credit history can go against you, which might be the case for you in the future, but personally I dont think this outweighs the benefit of paying off the loan early.

Make sure you dont get stung for an early redemption premium, especially if its a fixed rate loan.

Paying off debts, if you have the cash available, is always a good option. You should however ensure that you keep enough liquid funds for unseen emergencies

Advertisement