Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice again

Options
  • 27-07-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Been to a local gun dealer today. Looked at a puma .22lr. ARE They any good for starting. He told me they are a copy of the cz something and he sells bucket loads of them. And also how safe is it to fire these .22lr rifles as my first intention was an air rifle .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    Been to a local gun dealer today. Looked at a puma .22lr. ARE They any good for starting. He told me they are a copy of the cz something and he sells bucket loads of them. And also how safe is it to fire these .22lr rifles as my first intention was an air rifle .

A copy of a CZ?
    I've heard it all now

A copy of a CZ below
    http://www.highlandoutdoors.co.uk/PUMA22-16W.html

I do like some of there other designs though ;)

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma_M92M86.html

http://punchingpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Puma12442-1.jpg

I'd love to know how many your RFD ACTUALLY has sold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

cz/brno have a great rep and they are reasonably priced nearly every rifle shooter started with a brno :

They are to a certain age of Irish shooters what Baikals are, first guns, reliable, indestructable.:D

Price wise
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_25&zenid=4b8c5f02f514e0cf05dffd7b932ddd22

around €500 new (God be with the days when €500 got you a new cz scope and 100 rounds:)

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/rifles.html?new_pre_owned=257

and there are a lot of good second hand ones about. Id say stick to the one thats known. If not a cz, then marlin, ruger, krico (€€€€€) Anshutz (mortgage required, or sell a child:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Havent heard of the puma copy before but i did read about the norinco copies before and they are
    Supposed to be dirt, just out of interest what money are they?
    Personally i'd pay the extra few quid and get a proper cz, 500 euro for a laminate thumbhole model or the standard model for around 400 i think, excellent rifles,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

And also how safe is it to fire these .22lr rifles as my first intention was an air rifle .

You want to be careful with a 22lr. Theres far too many lads who dont respect them. They just think its only a 22 and treat it like a spud gun.

You really cant afford to be shooting without a backstop (Im guessing you want this rifle for hunting)... and that being the case, dont expect a ditch or whatever to stop a 22 bullet. Even if the ditch is 60 or 70 yards away from you when you shoot. People always say a ditch will stop the bullet, well Ive got the scar to prove otherwise :mad:

EDIT: I just want to say, dont let that scare you off it. Shooting any rifle is safe, providing YOU are safe. If you take stupid risky shots, then your gonna run into problems. But if you only take safe shots, then a 22 is a very safe rife, it even tells you on every box of bullets you buy that the bullet is dangerous up to a mile, that there alone should be warning enough not to be shooting through ditches, or shooting at birds sitting in trees or powerlines and other stupid sh1te some lads get up to.

(sorry about the rant)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

Hello A.J.M, Puma are a Chinese made copy of the CZ. They were featured on Sporting Rifle and Shooting Times some months ago. They were given very good write-ups in both mags. Sorry have no practical knowledge of them. Your choice depends on your budget. Allow for a scope and mounts in that. Happy hunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I cant recommend getting a CZ enough. You would be so much better off getting a second hand CZ even over a "copy".
    I have put literally thousands of rounds through my CZ and its deadly accurate. Only last week I shot 3 grey crows off a cattle trough at 115yds. I love my CZ.
    With regards to safety DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the .22lr. Especially if its sub sonics your shooting. them things will bounce off almost anything.
    A safe backstop is a MUST and even then I make certain there is nothing alive or important behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Saying that the PPSH replica looking puma... I want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a.j.m1981

ormondprop wrote: »
    Havent heard of the puma copy before but i did read about the norinco copies before and they are
    Supposed to be dirt, just out of interest what money are they?
    Personally i'd pay the extra few quid and get a proper cz, 500 euro for a laminate thumbhole model or the standard model for around 400 i think, excellent rifles,

260 pounds sterling and he swears by them

260 pounds sterling and he swears by them

Did he swear by them in a Cantonese accent ;) ?

CZ is cheap but accurate
    Why would you try and go cheaper for Cheng-wong-dung

Christ i think i,l stick to the air rifle. I have a very large back drop about 20 acres of it to be exact but i thiink i want something that i can point out the bedroom window and plink at them annoying greybacks with safety. Thanx guys for ur info but im really afraid of buying a .22 and someone/animal getting hurt.Im not saying that im irresponsible. I just want something to be able to shoot into a tree and not worry about were the bullet goes.Thanx again guys for all the info really helpfull

• Advertisement

Yes Airrifles are very useful
    But a .22lr is more useful (Just don't shoot birds out of trees )

Yes Airrifles are very useful
    But a .22lr is more useful (Just don't shoot birds out of trees )

what would the killing distance be from a pcp .22 air rifle for a rabbit

what would the killing distance be from a pcp .22 air rifle for a rabbit

Depends on the ft/lbs ~40yards for average airrifle head shot
    High Powered ones, maybe more

But Wind is a major factor

Depends on the ft/lbs ~40yards for average airrifle head shot
    High Powered ones, maybe more

But Wind is a major factor

30ft lbs air arm s410. They tell me that can kill a rabbit easy at 60 yards cleanly in the right conditions????

30ft lbs air arm s410. They tell me that can kill a rabbit easy at 60 yards cleanly in the right conditions????

Right conditions = No wind

30ft/bs is powerful airrifle
    will travel much further than a 12ft/lb
    so you will still need a back stop if neighbors house is 150-300 yards behind tree ;)
    Possibly more.
    Just use backstop !

Thanks will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I was looking into an airrifle myself there recently (I have plenty of "real rifles" but fancied something different) And I asked on here for some advice, and to be honest I was a bit put off by the answers I got. The general consensus was that unless I was going to spend big money it wouldnt be worth it. Then a few weeks later by pure chance I bumped into a lad who has a very cheap webley and scott air rifle, exact same as this one

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/Webley-Vulcan-gun-for-sale-gs9508.aspx

I got him to take me out and I have to say it was great craic. We nailed a few rabbits and took a few crows from trees (safely of course!) and let rip at some rats. Its a very happy medium safety wise in that its not going travel too far if you miss, but it still has enough power if you hit anything within say 50 or 60 yards to kill it.

Again its probably not the most accurate air rifle out there, but let me tell you, its accurate enough to take a few crows and rabbits if thats all you want.

Obviously I dont know your situation, but going on the picture I have from your last post, Id probably suggest stick with the air rifle.

Or the less fun method (although cheaper and save on messing with gun licences) would be just to get yourself a larson trap and that wont be long getting rid of those crows.

BTW: Have you looked into shotguns at all? That would be another good man for taking pesky crows out of trees. Although I dont think the tree would thank you.

Advertisement