Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road-Rage Assault On A Cyclist In Bexley High Street

• 27-07-2011 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Footage of a road-rage assault on a cyclist in London has been posted online in a bid to catch the attacker. Simon Page, 49, was punched in the head by a car driver in Bexley High Street, Bexley, south-east London, in May. Mr Page, of Guildford, Surrey, was one of seven cyclists riding from Dover to London in training for a charity ride.

The helmet-cam video, which shows a silver Peugeot pulling over and a man getting out and punching Mr Page to the ground, has been handed to police. Mr Page said the assault had happened after the driver had tried to overtake another cyclist in the group. He said: "The car tried to overtake whilst we were going past a traffic island which significantly narrowed the road and my friend slapped the side of the car and shouted.

"The car stopped and the driver and front passenger got out and started using very threatening and aggressive language." Mr Page said he had been memorising the car registration when they spotted him and said: "We see you have our number, now we're effing gonna run you over". He said they had driven close enough to him to clip his hand with the wing mirror.

"They then got out the car again and the driver punched me in the head and I fell to the floor. I was so shocked and surprised because this all took place in front of lots of people, including children," he said. A Metropolitan Police statement confirmed an allegation of assault in Bexley High Street had been made and was being investigated by Bexley CID.

The car registration is: KJ56 HGF

Update 14 July 2011:
    "The assailant has handed himself in to the Police and is in custody now. John Nicholls, 29, of Edwin Road, Dartford, Kent, will face a charge of common assault when he appears at Bexley Magistrates' Court on Monday". Thanks to a powerful combination of clear video evidence and viral internet publicity this man is nowin custody. Thanks to everyone who assisted in spreading this clip, which in 4 days has led to the apprehension of the assailant. Result!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://vimeo.com/26874199

"Updated 25 July 2011 from the victim:

Man who punched a cyclist in the head was in Court today - £400 fine, £100 compensation, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

It's pretty amazing that a guy who makes a premeditated decision to assault someone and where there is no question of his guilt is only fined £600.

Mezcita wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing that a guy who makes a pre-meditated decision to assault someone and where there is no question of his guilt is only fined £600.

I'd wager you haven't had much contact with the criminal justice system. :pac:

Perhaps you mean "deliberate" rather than "pre-mediated". I think pre-meditation requires more than a snap judgement to pull over and lamp someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Yeh thats clever punch a guy wearing a helmet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

If you've ever been to South East London then you'll realise that that thug is probably one of the more clever residents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

? I assume it wasn't a full face helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Pre meditated is planning for days weeks months years in advance not 60 seconds or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I thought he went down very easily ....more Premiership than Tour de France .....not even a spattering of blood ......what would Hoogerland say to that .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Lumen wrote: »
    "Updated 25 July 2011 from the victim:

Man who punched a cyclist in the head was in Court today - £400 fine, £100 compensation, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge."
    This really does make taking the law into one's own hands much more appealing. Not that I would condone such a thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

The guys in the car with him should have stopped him.

What's a victim surcharge? Is that something like WEEE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

£400 fine, £100 compensation, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge."

It sounded great until this. What is more annoying is if the guy had done it to say a pedestrian, the "fine" would have been more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

That's a shameful result, but not so shocking. That said the best punishment is the video and all the bad publicity his name has gotten. Think what your missus would do, what about his employer? I'd say it would be too hard for someone to find out where he works and email his employer (I knoew tha's making a massive assumpton that somebody would actually employ a scumbag such as him). Someone could even set up a wiki page on him;).

What an a$$hole. I had a guy slap my ass for no reason as I passed his window at lights, a couple of works were exchnged (it ended with telling him he looked like he could us a run out on a bike like mine, as he did, and his mates in the car started laughing:D).

But then after the lights tuned he chased me down and swung into my lane (I was in the centre of it) and hit me side on. I somehow managed to stay upright, stopped and got the first car behind as a witness he the lunatic broke the next set of lights to get away.

Now its in the hands of the justice system:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That really is a rediculous result. Perhaps the justice system in the UK is as bad as it is here?

I can't believe he could be fined so little for stopping his car dangerously to hop out and throw two punches at someone and then to drive off.

Assault on someone should carry either a sizeable fine or a mandatory sentance of some sort.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is it just me or does anyone else think that £600 is actually quite a hefty fine for dangerous driving and one punch? If I'd been the victim, I think I'd have been pleased with that outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

el tonto wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that £600 is actually quite a hefty fine for dangerous driving and one punch? If I'd been the victim, I think I'd have been pleased with that outcome.

If it's a 1st offence it's about what you'd expect.
    I hope the victim doesn't go sending the video to the culprit's insurance company for good measure. That would be harsh :D

I think cutting off his fist would be a "hefty" punishment, but I'd be satisfied with forced sterilisation and confiscation of the car.

Remove balls. Place balls in car. Crush the car into a cube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Crush the car into a cube.

Turn his car into:

cube-reaction-sl-p.jpg

? ironic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Years a go a taxi closed in on me and a high kerb, both of us doing about 20kph, there was handle/wing mirror contact and I banged the roof of the car and he came out spitting blood... I mean really really really angry. I hopped off the back of the bike and got it on to the back wheel and fended him off with the crank set and the front wheel. He was swinging like a drunk, haymakers to the bike, blood on his fists and not a flinch from him.

I can't tell you how angry he was. I don't know if he was having a bad day, if he was nuts, just got bad news or what, but I'd never bang a car on the roof again!!

There was a guy beaten to death with a hurl in Ringsend in Dublin not so long ago at a road rage incident (no cyclists involved). Two families destroyed in a few seconds fury. I think the victim made it home and died soon after. Tragic stuff.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but you don't know who's in that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I had eggs thrown at me by 5 scumbags in a Saxo about an hour ago.. None hit me, but it still pissed me off

What the fúck is people's problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Tallon wrote: »

Its a public perception thing. While there are plenty of reports of 'road rage' and drivers attacking people there arn't too many reports of 'cyclist rage' or 'triathalete attacks'. In short, the public don't fear people in lycra.

The only solution as I see it is a mass campaign of completely fabricated reports and clever photoshopping 'proving' that all serial killers and psychopaths were avid cyclists and that infact the only people who are attracted to the sport would like nothing more than to attempt to hack at your neck with the business end of a tyre lever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Funny, I was in Staggs today, and a chap came in with all the lycra gear and about a million tattoos. He was built too.. Looked terrifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Years a go a taxi closed in on me and a high kerb, both of us doing about 20kph, there was handle/wing mirror contact and I banged the roof of the car and he came out spitting blood... I mean really really really angry. I hopped off the back of the bike and got it on to the back wheel and fended him off with the crank set and the front wheel. He was swinging like a drunk, haymakers to the bike, blood on his fists and not a flinch from him.

i liked the part where you seemlessly hopped off the bike and armed yourself against him, rambo indeed! :D

Worst experience i've had so far has been some w@nker coming toward me on the opposite side of a pretty large road, he swerved straight for me. I was head down pedalling like a feckin boyo, looked up then i saw this scummer heading toward me. Saw him laughing as he swerved away, wouldn't have been so funny if the car had skidded!

I went home and had some whiskey, all was ok then. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

jimzy wrote: »
    i liked the part where you seemlessly hopped off the bike and armed yourself against him, rambo indeed! :D

Thanks, it's effective, take note! One hand on the handle bar, one hand on the saddle. Very maneuverable, poxy for them if they punch it, you can back off without getting a smack... (you can advance safely too) You're story sounds a bit more sinister, some c0cksn0t showing off to his mates? Could have been disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

If only someone would invent a quick-release chainring, that would be one hell of a defense weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Thanks, it's effective, take note! One hand on the handle bar, one hand on the saddle. Very maneuverable, poxy for them if they punch it, you can back off without getting a smack... (you can advance safely too) You're story sounds a bit more sinister, some c0cksn0t showing off to his mates? Could have been disastrous.

haha yeah c0cksn0t is a good description, i like that!
    next time it happens, ill be ready; quick dismount and ill use the John_Rambo™ handlebar & saddle stance! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I agree, I think the outcome is fine, no need to be locking the driver up and ruining his life over it, I imagine he has learnt a lesson. I was the victim of a very similar road rage attack years ago and the driver got a similar punishment, which I thought appropriate; I had no serious injuries and wasn't out baying for his blood.

blorg wrote: »
    I agree, I think the outcome is fine, no need to be locking the driver up and ruining his life over it, I imagine he has learnt a lesson. I was the victim of a very similar road rage attack years ago and the driver got a similar punishment, which I thought appropriate; I had no serious injuries and wasn't out baying for his blood.

Blorg, the friend of knuckledragging scum.

Maybe he just needed a big hug?

from a stack of burning tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was cut up by a van driver a few years ago. I caught up withthe van at the next set of lights and hit the side if the van with my fist. With that, the vans sliding door opened and two guys jumped out and ran at me!!. I took off straight thru a red light and crossed a busy junction and made my escape!

Lesson learn't! NEVER pick an argument with a driver unless you know how many people are in the car/van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Tallon wrote: »
    They obviously misjudged your speed. :D
    It's actually very difficult to hit a moving object with something as small as an egg. Especially when thrown from a moving vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Jesus that guy needs to learn how to duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Columbia wrote: »
    If only someone would invent a quick-release chainring, that would be one hell of a defense weapon.

Surely a D-Lock and chain is more effective. Sort of like the net and trident in Spartacus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

They obviously misjudged your speed. :D
    It's actually very difficult to hit a moving object with something as small as an egg. Especially when thrown from a moving vehicle.
    http://www.braypeople.ie/news/youth-threw-egg-and-blinded-nurse-1955532.html

Its more serious than you might think. Even the guy who egged the bankers at that AGM had the sense to tape the shell so it wouldn't cause injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Little f¨¨ker. Community Service my arse. I hope they make him wear a sign around his neck and chain him up on the seafront so we can all throw eggs at him.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Little f¨¨ker. Community Service my arse. I hope they make him wear a sign around his neck and chain him up on the seafront so we can all throw eggs at him.

But he was such a nice boy.

But he was such a nice boy.

He used to cut the grass

/end very obscure Zappa reference...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Thanks to a powerful combination of clear video evidence and viral internet publicity this man is nowin custody. Thanks to everyone who assisted in spreading this clip, which in 4 days has led to the apprehension of the assailant. Result!

You would imagine that the clear image of the number plate would be enough for police to identify the person

Thanks to a powerful combination of clear video evidence and viral internet publicity this man is nowin custody. Thanks to everyone who assisted in spreading this clip, which in 4 days has led to the apprehension of the assailant. Result!

You would imagine that the clear image of the number plate would be enough for police to identify the person

Fairly sure I read somewhere that the guy throwing punches wasn't the registered owner of the vehicle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Then you would have the owner of the car, yes.
    Doesnt need to be knuckle dragging Neanderthaler hitting, who owns the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

O
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    That's a shameful result, but not so shocking. That said the best punishment is the video and all the bad publicity his name has gotten. Think what your missus would do, what about his employer? I'd say it would be too hard for someone to find out where he works and email his employer (I knoew tha's making a massive assumpton that somebody would actually employ a scumbag such as him). Someone could even set up a wiki page on him;).

What an a$$hole. I had a guy slap my ass for no reason as I passed his window at lights, a couple of works were exchnged (it ended with telling him he looked like he could us a run out on a bike like mine, as he did, and his mates in the car started laughing:D).

But then after the lights tuned he chased me down and swung into my lane (I was in the centre of it) and hit me side on. I somehow managed to stay upright, stopped and got the first car behind as a witness he the lunatic broke the next set of lights to get away.
    !
    Now its in the hands of the justice system:(

Slapped your ass you say? Hope you reported him for sexual assault, a couple of years on the sex offenders register would be quite a lesson :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You would imagine that, wouldn't you? Turns out it wasn't so! Several months passed before the guy was apprehended. In the end he turned himself in. Madness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement