Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child benefit amount for grant

• 27-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hi
    Does anybody know if i need a letter which indicates how much money my family recieved from child benefit last year for the grant application..It doesnt specify whether I need it or not on the guidance notes:confused:..Might aswel find out now than regret it later.

Thanks for any help:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Sorry, I cant help you with that, but may I ask you, Is it not too early to apply for grants? I thought you have to do it after you get a place in college? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Iceuil wrote: »
    Sorry, I cant help you with that, but may I ask you, Is it not too early to apply for grants? I thought you have to do it after you get a place in college? :/
    No, it's not too early to apply for grants, if you don't get a place in college then you just won't get your grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Where can I get all the info about the grants? Coz I know nothing about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

StudentFinance.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

To the OP,
    I applied for the grant nearly 3 weeks ago, got an acceptance letter yesterday, I provided no child benefit records, so I would presume they're not required.

Applying for a grant is recommended to be done now for all students as waiting until you accept a CAO place can lead to huge delays in processing your application, subsequently meaning successful candidates may not receive their entitled grant installments until a later date.
    Another reason why it is advisable to apply now, is that social welfare letters, proof of earnings......etc all need to be gathered before applying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    To the OP,
    I applied for the grant nearly 3 weeks ago, got an acceptance letter yesterday, I provided no child benefit records, so I would presume they're not required.

Applying for a grant is recommended to be done now for all students as waiting until you accept a CAO place can lead to huge delays in processing your application, subsequently meaning successful candidates may not receive their entitled grant installments until a later date.
    Another reason why it is advisable to apply now, is that social welfare letters, proof of earnings......etc all need to be gathered before applying.

You got an acceptance letter already? :eek: I thought you only get that after accepting an offer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

To the OP,

:):)Thanks for that dave. Just wanted to make sure

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    You got an acceptance letter already? :eek: I thought you only get that after accepting an offer? :confused:

Yes , it arrived Monday morning, acceptance letter, amount of grant & a return form for when I accept a course offer to notify them, quick work from Killkenny County Council.

I checked the date I posted it, was the 10th of July by the time I got all the appropriate information & the 26th July response, so maybe you might be looking at a similar time frame.

Yes , it arrived Monday morning, acceptance letter, amount of grant & a return form for when I accept a course offer to notify them, quick work from Killkenny County Council.

I checked the date I posted it, was the 10th of July by the time I got all the appropriate information & the 26th July response, so maybe you might be looking at a similar time frame.

Oh wow, that's quick! I sent mine in the day after the forms came out so hopefully I'll get my letter back soon :( Edit: I had it in on June 29.

I just called my CoCo and what DaveMur said wasn't true. He couldn't have got an acceptance letter for his grant as you need to send an SA1 (I think.) form and your leaving cert results to the grant authority before you receive confirmation of your grant. You may get a letter of confirmation that your grant has been received, but not a confirmation of payment.

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I just called my CoCo and what DaveMur said wasn't true. He couldn't have got an acceptance letter for his grant as you need to send an SA1 (I think.) form and your leaving cert results to the grant authority before you receive confirmation of your grant. You may get a letter of confirmation that your grant has been received, but not a confirmation of payment.

I'll try scanning the letter later and you can see what to make of it, im 99% sure though it is an acceptance letter. There is an another form enclosed though which I think could be that SA1 form you mentioned.The letter says payment will be in 3 installments over the year.

I'll try scanning the letter later and you can see what to make of it, im 99% sure though it is an acceptance letter. There is an another form enclosed though which I think could be that SA1 form you mentioned.The letter says payment will be in 3 installments over the year.

That's so weird! Maybe KK do it different to Waterford? But they shouldn't have sent a letter confirming payment according to the lady in the county council. :confused: Maybe it was a mix up?

Advertisement